40 years ago this summer, The Beatles officially called it quits.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnN

2x5.1.2
http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/music/article/855344--what-if-the-beatles-had-just-let-it-be
What if The Beatles had just let it be?
40 years ago this summer, The Beatles officially called it quits. Geoff Pevere wonders what would have happened if they’d stayed together

By Geoff Pevere Entertainment Columnist
Published On Wed Sep 01 2010

“In order to put out of its misery the limping dog of a news story which has been dragging itself across your pages for the past year, my answer to the question: ‘Will The Beatles get together again?’ is no.” ? Paul McCartney, in an August 1970 letter to Melody Maker magazine.

With these words, published 40 years ago this summer, Paul McCartney rather bluntly killed the rumours that the breakup of The Beatles was just another Paul-is-dead hoax. The world’s most popular rock band was, definitively, dead.

As distressing as the news might have been for countless fans who felt robbed of a future, it also meant the world was spared any number of ugly scenarios: the Beatles becoming a pathetic oldies band; The Beatles embracing country-rock, glam, prog rock, disco, punk or rock opera; The Beatles becoming a pale, sorry shadow of their former selves. A band we wished had broken up.

Nevertheless, McCartney’s words started something else, a game of “imagine” that still thrives, perhaps the most persistent instance of what-if wondering in popular music history.

What if The Beatles hadn’t called it quits?

The question is posed despite the fact that, even then, we knew it was over. Ever since McCartney announced his plans to go solo the previous spring, he and John Lennon had engaged in public spitballing on Melody Maker’s pages. (“Paul hasn’t quit. I sacked him.”) Rumours were rife that the reason for the delay of the swan-song album Let it Be — originally titled Get Back — was that The Beatles had grown to hate each other, and the album reflected that fact. That’s why Abbey Road, which was actually recorded after Let it Be but was strained by the cracks of the rift between Lennon and McCartney, was released first.

McCartney had wanted Abbey Road to be one long, unfolding suite. Lennon thought the idea was not feasible. The compromise was an album that had discrete songs on one side and a suite on the other.

McCartney wanted the next album to be recorded before a live audience, something The Beatles hadn’t done in three years. Lennon nixed this idea, as well as any plans the band might get back on the road. He hated the thought of touring, while McCartney thought it vital to the band’s future.

Then, with that letter, there was no future.

But what if there was?

“One can imagine they would have continued to evolve,” says York University ethnomusicology professor Rob Bowman of the band’s “stunning” rate of development in the brief, brilliant decade it was together. “And one can imagine that they would have got back on the road if they’d stayed together. Who knows what that would have meant?”

At McGill University, Will Straw is another teacher of popular music and culture, arenas of study that might not exist were it not for The Beatles’ storming of the barriers between the popular and the intellectual. Looking back, he thinks the timing of the breakup was perfect.

“It allows them to stand as the perfect example of this historical moment,” Straw observes, “which is when rock becomes both amazingly popular and changes everything around the world, but also becomes sort of arty and introspective and creative. They embodied that more than anybody else. So it’s sort of perfect that they broke up when they did.”

For Keir Keightley, an associate professor in the department of information and media studies at the University of Western Ontario, the question itself reveals the enormous nature of the band and its influence. He believes The Beatles might not be The Beatles—at least not as omnipresently so — if they hadn’t split 40 years ago.

“Had they not broken up,” Keightley says, “it’s possible the respect that’s given them might have been more eroded. Perhaps they would have been a target of punk music and things might have been slightly different because they would not have been deified as quickly or as massively in the ’70s and ’80s.”

It’s like this. To become The Beatles — the formidable cultural entity — they needed to stop being The Beatles — the flawed human aggregate of four guys succumbing to the pressures of fame, fatigue and paralyzing expectations. They are what they are because they quit when they did.

But the wondering isn’t entirely unwarranted. Bowman, for one, hears a number of portents of what might have been in The Beatles’ final studio sessions.

“I’m sure they would have toured,” he speculates. “That would have transformed their legacy substantially. They would have had to get their chops back together as live players, which they had let slip because nobody could hear them and nobody cared anyway, which was one reason they stopped touring.

“It might have led to simpler, back-to-rock-’n’-roll material, it might have led to ever-evolving, complicated stuff. I’m not saying they would have made records like Close to the Edge by Yes, but I think the Abbey Road suite, that’s pointing in a similar kind of direction. And look at the solo material, Harrison’s All Things Must Pass, Lennon’s Plastic Ono Band and Imagine, the first two McCartney albums. Great records.”

“One might even argue,” Bowman says, “that the deterioration one saw in Paul and John and George’s solo songwriting might not have happened if they had been editing each other. Who can tell Paul McCartney it’s not good enough except for John or George or Ringo? No one’s going to tell him that. Likewise for any of them.”

Back to rock ’n’ roll? Beatlesque prog rock? Fab Four disco? These possibilities point to yet another path: the one where The Beatles persist to the point of parody.

“The real horrible scenario would have been the Spinal Tap one,” winces Straw. “You watch Spinal Tap and they do the history of the group, and they started out as a skiffle group and then they were a beat group and then they went psychedelic. Well, in fact the band that’s closest to that is The Beatles. But they didn’t go beyond that into all the sort of horrible stuff that Spinal Tap stands for. So it’s hard to imagine. The beauty of The Beatles was the tensions between Lennon and McCartney and the others, but at a point when those tensions were still creative.”

Looking back on the 1970s, Keightley wonders if The Beatles would have survived the assault on rock orthodoxy wrought by punk and the post-boomer backlash.

“Take the Stones,” Keightley points out. “The fact that they had a ‘Steel Wheelchairs’ tour and people call it that, that tells us a lot,” he adds, referring to the band’s Steel Wheels tour. “So it’s very likely that The Beatles would have gone through that period where they would have been seen as an enemy of innovation, as dinosaurs. If they kept touring into the ’80s and ’90s, it could have been seen as laughable. ‘When I’m 64’ might not have been treated as gently I think as it was when McCartney, Sir Paul, turned 64.”

In any case, it’s not like John, Paul, George and Ringo owed the world anything when the band called it quits.

“What else might they have given us?” Bowman asks disbelievingly. “They transformed the whole notion of what rock music could be. Along with Dylan, they made the album the dominant mode of expression, rather than the 45. Not only the dominant mode of expression but the dominant mode of commerce. Which leads to FM radio and a serious rock press, which leads to things such as Rolling Stone and Crawdaddy, which leads to a seriousness of an audience which changes the whole notion of what live performance is.”

“Then the shift from pop entertainer to rock artist,” Bowman adds, “a shift in the way musicians thought of themselves and a shift in the way audiences thought about themselves. Some people would argue that that was a bad thing, but other people would argue it’s an amazing thing because it leads to great music that follows long past The Beatles’ breakup. None of which would have happened if rock wasn’t considered an art form rather than simply entertainment for kids.”

“That’s a huge shift,” says Bowman. “A massive transformation in both the creative process and political economy which, given the role rock played in the culture at large, makes it pretty hard to imagine what more any group could have given the planet.”

McCartney had wanted Abbey Road to be one long, unfolding suite. Lennon thought the idea was not feasible. The compromise was an album that had discrete songs on one side and a suite on the other.

McCartney wanted the next album to be recorded before a live audience, something The Beatles hadn’t done in three years. Lennon nixed this idea, as well as any plans the band might get back on the road. He hated the thought of touring, while McCartney thought it vital to the band’s future.

With all that's been written about this band, is it that hard to get facts straight?

LIB was recorded BEFORE Abbey Road, numbnuts!

...on the other hand, the breakup allowed the individual members to finally focus on themselves, for good and ill. At least two of those personalities were too ambitious and talented to continue battling over space on singles and albums, but one other had enough talent to at least show he could record a full Lp (and more) without sounding too desperate for material (as for Ringo, well, you know....:D)

ED :)

With all that's been written about this band, is it that hard to get facts straight?

LIB was recorded BEFORE Abbey Road, numbnuts!

:mad:@: You're making me dizzy. haha

That’s why Abbey Road, which was actually recorded after Let it Be but was strained by the cracks of the rift between Lennon and McCartney, was released first.

In the perfect world, they broke up and stayed broken up. Had they reunited at some point, it would have been very hard for them to live up to themselves.
If John had lived, they probably would have reformed for Live-Aid, but without anything new. Kinda like Pink Floyd did for Live Aid 2 (or 3 or whatever)

As big a fan as I am/was, here in 2010, I'm probably glad they never got back together. I'm just wondering at what point in time will their stature deflate.

I'm just wondering at what point in time will their stature deflate.

As a humungoid Beatles fan, I think it has begun. I can't listen to anything pre-Rubber Soul, and barely Rubber Soul. Revolver and after, no problem, for the most part. Hello Goodbye is a huge piece of shite that has become unlistenable to me.

I think that, with a lack of trancendant bands in the past twenty years or so (and this comes from someone who loves modern music, not a "they don't make music like they used to" type), the answer to "when will their deflate" is not anytime soon. Not as long as people are playing Beatles albums for their chlidren, and not as long as these children emerge from their Justin Bieber-enduced states of delirium and discover the truly great bands. I grew up on Motley Crue, NWA, and freestyle dance music in the 1980's, and here I am talking about the Beatles.

What I do wish I could have gotten to see is an older John Lennon telling me what he thinks of today's world.

Last edited:
I was there, 10 years old, when I first heard and saw (on radio and TV) what would become ingrained on my psyche. All those songs, throughout their life as a band, are magic. That's one tremendous, unparalleled body of work to suggest that somehow it could diminish over time. That would imply that there would be something to replace it - hard to imagine.

Had the Beatles stayed together, providing they stayed in their penultimate place as the cornerstones of the "Rock" world, I'm pretty sure the entire musical future would have been massively altered.

A great deal of musicians ( from all genre's) took their cue from whatever directions the Beatles took. i.e. The massive shift to Psychedelia on the release of Sgt Pepper and then back to straight ahead music by many bands after the Beatles released the "back to basics", almost completely psychedelia free (..with the exception of Revolution 9 and maybe "Glass Onion") White Album.

The end of the Beatles left many bands/musicians to find other influences for inspiration....it also...it seems to me, jammed mainstream musical progression (more or less) at the "Abbey Road" 1969 level for at least a decade or so, until the punk/new wave (..and maybe also Disco) thing pushed some musicians in other directions.

Had the Beatles stayed together and kept experimenting and inspiring the rest of the scene...(Synth Powered Baroque Pop??, Orchestral Hard Rock?? or even Prog Rock like introspective suites or maybe even (..long shot)...a "Lennon being rebellious"...Yoko inspired Punk like direction).... the musical 70's to the present day, no doubt would have been completely different....

If you take all their solo stuff in chronological order and combine the best tracks from each year, you'll soon get a good idea of how it might have panned out....at least until the end of the 1970's...of course post 1980 is a bit hard to do and Paul has a habit of recording ten times more than the total of the others combined...i think it's really his hobby and his job..lucky fellow..

Taking the best of the individual cd's is a great way to start, but when you reflect on how often the others would improve each other's songs, it almost gets a bit frightening. In the end, it was probably best for the music scene as a whole for the Beatles to call it. Just for kicks, consider the music that came out in the first 18 months after their breakup.

The major contenders to the throne of the rock kingdom would have been the Stones. Now, I'm not much of a Stones fan, but they have managed to survive long after the 60's. I've never really heard of them referred to as "laughable" in all this time, probably had their ups and downs as would be expected over the last 40 years since, but they're still at least respected. Am I wrong? If they could survive, why couldn't the Beatles? Or is the theory that the Stones were able to survive because their "body of work" will, arguably, never equal that of the Beatles? Did the Beatles own success by definition mean they were doomed to only go as far as they did?

We have seen that there were some new musical directions to go, some good, some bad. Is it that hard to believe that the Beatles would have taken punk, disco, prog, etc. to much further heights than we experienced without them? They had only done that all along.

They definitely would have mutually benefited from the criticisms of each other, but when they didn't have that, or welcome that, they all had to start over from scratch.

As for when their stature will end, it could either take something bigger/better/whatever to take their place as was suggested or, sadly, just plain public apathy for good music. If they, future generations, don't know about it they can't like it. In general, appreciation of a variety of music and best examples of it is never considered that important, unfortunately. But then again, to the average person important music is only supposed to be that which is current/in/hip/approved; they'll never know or, indeed, care what they're missing.

But that's just my opinion, I could be wr....

The last 20 years have seen the the Rolling stones put out about 4 new studio lp's...the rest has either been compilations , live \ unplugged releases..
in fact i think it's about 10 studio releases since Mick Taylor left..
the low point for the stones was Dirty Work release in the mid 1980's.....their last studio release was quite good... their last live release wasn't so good...Mick's vocal on "Lady Jane" was rather unusual to say the least

The Stones are now "famous for being famous". I sat thru 15 minutes of that movie (can't even recall the name) and ran for the hills. Their last gasp for me was Tattoo You.

As a humungoid Beatles fan, I think it has begun. I can't listen to anything pre-Rubber Soul, and barely Rubber Soul. Revolver and after, no problem, for the most part. Hello Goodbye is a huge piece of shite that has become unlistenable to me.

Well, that one's certainly lightweight compared to the weirdness and time put into the flip, "I Am The Walrus"....yet for those of us who were old enough to remember their music when they were together and you didn't know what was coming next, even a piece like "Hello Goodbye" seemed like a big deal--if not for long, they had that very rare ability to grow and move forward, almost always ahead of everyone else who were trying to make hits back in those days. But like a lot of listeners who have been listening since 1964, I really don't listen to any of them a lot any more, the music long ago seeped in deep enough not to need a lot of playback. Oddly enough, though, while the 'sophisticated' Beatles might seem more interesting, it was the 'primitive' early work that's still emotionally endearing to me. Nothing made later really matches the special spirit of "There's A Place" and "She Loves You," or the ingratiating simplicity of "Please Please Me" or "I'll Get You."

The Stones are now "famous for being famous". I sat thru 15 minutes of that movie (can't even recall the name) and ran for the hills. Their last gasp for me was Tattoo You.

Well, I thought it all went downhill fast after EXILE, an album that, while imperfect, had a raw sheen and appropriately bad attitude. When I'd first heard the dreadful "Angie" (from the next Lp), originally assumed it was Mick's little joke of a syrupy pop record--and maybe it was--but they soon lapsed into laziness, only occasionally showing any spark or style. Almost anything since has been pick and choose a cut here or there, but except for the best portions of SOME GIRLS and TATTOO (and a little of UNDERCOVER), they seemed out of it, just being there because the money was there. Which is understandable if depressing...

Must say, though, always wondered what a quad BB or STICKY would've sounded like, much potential....

ED :)

Back