5.1 Analog (6 RCA jacks) Splitter Box ???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance7489

Has anyone ever made or come across a 6 channel (5.1) splitter box ? I know stereo ones are commonplace on ebay & Amazon, but I have multiple devices (dvd changer, Blu ray player, Surround master & CD-4 demodulator) with 5.1 analog rca outs & my preamp (Parasound P7) only has 2 multichannel (7.1) analog inputs. What I'm using now are 2 "stereo" splitter boxes. Each input has a left, right & video. I'm using 1 box for the front & 1 for the rear. I'm utilizing the so called "video" input for the center & subwoofer in each box respectively. While this basically works, with the 2 separate boxes, you have to remember to switch both of them & it sort of creates a cabling MESS. Since these are non powered, passive boxes, they are very light. They slide around easily & often cables inadvertently become unplugged.

What I'm looking for are 5.1 versions of these splitter boxes. Don't know if any were ever made. The closest I came was finding a 5 channel one. Each input had left/right audio & 3 RCA's for component video. I would use the 3 component RCA's for the rear & center channels, but I would be left without anything for the sub channel, so that wouldn't do.

ANYTHING OUT THERE ??????

Has anyone ever made or come across a 6 channel (5.1) splitter box ? I know stereo ones are commonplace on ebay & Amazon, but I have multiple devices (dvd changer, Blu ray player, Surround master & CD-4 demodulator) with 5.1 analog rca outs & my preamp (Parasound P7) only has 2 multichannel (7.1) analog inputs. What I'm using now are 2 "stereo" splitter boxes. Each input has a left, right & video. I'm using 1 box for the front & 1 for the rear. I'm utilizing the so called "video" input for the center & subwoofer in each box respectively. While this basically works, with the 2 separate boxes, you have to remember to switch both of them & it sort of creates a cabling MESS. Since these are non powered, passive boxes, they are very light. They slide around easily & often cables inadvertently become unplugged.

What I'm looking for are 5.1 versions of these splitter boxes. Don't know if any were ever made. The closest I came was finding a 5 channel one. Each input had left/right audio & 3 RCA's for component video. I would use the 3 component RCA's for the rear & center channels, but I would be left without anything for the sub channel, so that wouldn't do.

ANYTHING OUT THERE ??????

There is this thing out there. I don't know if it is any good. They make an assembled version for about $80. (Click on button that says "Finished Switcher.") Looks like it ships from China?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32879254344.html

Find a used Zektor box. They made several versions that might suit your needs.
There are simpler ones but this is one I have:
Zektor back.jpg

How much do they go for now ?
I have a couple of Zektor switches (not as many inputs as Kal's) that handle 5.1. They are very well-built devices. On eBay they run around eighty bucks, maybe a little less if the power supply is not included.

MAS7.1. As you can see it not only does 7.1 switching, it also does TosLink, S/PDIF and HDMI 3-to-1 switching, independently or linked.
I've got a regular HDS4.1 Zektor that works great for stuff like SMv2 / QRX-8001 / MOTU etc. but have been keeping an eye out for the MAS7.1 for awhile now, getting hard to come by. I've always wondered (hope I haven't asked you about this already before KAL) do the HDMI usage have to be a certain version in order to work? In other words are they limited to older HDMI specs?

MAS7.1. As you can see it not only does 7.1 switching, it also does TosLink, S/PDIF and HDMI 3-to-1 switching, independently or linked.
I've got a regular HDS4.1 Zektor that works great for stuff like SMv2 / QRX-8001 / MOTU etc. but have been keeping an eye out for the MAS7.1 for awhile now, getting hard to come by. I've always wondered (hope I haven't asked you about this already before KAL) do the HDMI usage have to be a certain version in order to work? In other words are they limited to older HDMI specs?
Thanks !!!

Honestly, I do not know. It would be a good question to ask Zektor. AFAIK, all Zektor switching consists of just relays without any other devices in circuit.

I have a couple of Phillips completely manual switches I bought at Walmart years ago and had a Phillips digital switcher, all intended for video but will do 6 channels of audio.
The digital switch had so much feedback hum I finally threw it away.
The two Phillips manual/analog made in China switches I still use for my pc sound system but require a good cleaning every year since they are completely contact based.
This is how the other half lives. lol.
Love Kal's Zektor!

I have a couple of Phillips completely manual switches I bought at Walmart years ago and had a Phillips digital switcher, all intended for video but will do 6 channels of audio.
The digital switch had so much feedback hum I finally threw it away.
The two Phillips manual/analog made in China switches I still use for my pc sound system but require a good cleaning every year since they are completely contact based.
This is how the other half lives. lol.
Love Kal's Zektor!
I used one of those WallyWorld switches for several years before finding a good price on the used Zektors. The cheap switcher worked pretty well but just can't compare to the quality of the old Zektors. I don't use them now since I'm routing my Oppo 93 into the HDMI Input of a 205 (which is connected via analog to the receiver.) But it's nice to have the Zektors in storage in case I ever decide to go back to analog switching.

I think the only thing on my HT requiring an RCA cord is the feed to the powered sub(s).
The pc setup is different though. I find that the onboard sound on my ASUS motherboards is good enough for my needs, and of course they require to be RCA at the end point for my switches and my 5.1 analog input AVR.

Actually I used to use HDMI to my older Onkyo from the pc but I gave that unit to my Daughter with some other goodies since she had basically nothing in the way of sound equipment.
I also use HDMI out from my HTPC. Sure makes it simpler.

When Santy Clause buys me a 9.1 AVR (please Santa) then I'll go all HDMI again at the pc with the current HT unit. :smokin

The only things in either of my systems that use RCA connectors are the powered sub(s).
You know, this started me thinking and I looked at the literature for my AVR (easier than getting behind the audio cabinet) and mine has an HDMI out labeled "Sub". I don't have a sub with HDMI, never gave it much thought before as I'm not a big sub user, haven't looked at any specs in years. I guess I'm behind the 8 ball on this because either I just never paid attention or because I don't have a need and dismissed it.

Back