70s GM Radio Installation Question

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q8

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
So, I went outside to finally remove the stock AM radio from my 1971 Chevelle and install the Audiovox AM/FM Stereo 8-Track unit I finished repairing (I have a quad one to eventually install when I do rear speakers). I found that the radio nut is not a standard radio nut of the kind I had a socket all prepared for. What type of nut is this and what sort of tool/socket do I need?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131103_154651.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131103_154651.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 138
Yeah, I already half heartedly tried to loosen it and the sucker is on there pretty good. I'll go at it another day if I'm unable to locate a proper tool. Pliars may be able to do it too.

Yeah, I already half heartedly tried to loosen it and the sucker is on there pretty good. I'll go at it another day if I'm unable to locate a proper tool. Pliars may be able to do it too.

It's a split driver, with two ends that resemble a pitch fork with two tines. I have a security driver set, but the driver is too small. Check out harbor frieght or and auto parts supply house.

leevitalone1 said:
It's a split driver, with two ends that resemble a pitch fork with two tines. I have a security driver set, but the driver is too small. Check out harbor frieght or and auto parts supply house.

I guess I need a tuning fork to take out my tuner ;)

I'd spray some penetrating oil on it and wait a day. Find two straight blade screwdrivers that fit the slots snugly, and turn with just the right torque and direction. Right-angle e-clip pliers can do it too if the tips are long enough and don't snap off.

Ahh.. you're making this more complicated than it really is. Actually, it's quite simple. Years ago, we used to deal with these all the time. Take a long pair of needle nose pliers (that have reasonably blunt tips) and line the tips into the nut's corresponding slots. Now carefully and simultaneously press forward and turn counter-clockwise (remember those? round face with twelve increasing numbers at it's circumference with two "hands".... never mind). For really stubborn nuts, carefully and we emphasize carefully, using the straw nozzle supplied with any WD-40 type product, "spritz" a very small amount at the top of the nut, let sit for a few minutes and then try loosening again. Should work. Cheers.

Ahh.. you're making this more complicated than it really is. Actually, it's quite simple. Years ago, we used to deal with these all the time. Take a long pair of needle nose pliers (that have reasonably blunt tips) and line the tips into the nut's corresponding slots. Now carefully and simultaneously press forward and turn counter-clockwise (remember those? round face with twelve increasing numbers at it's circumference with two "hands".... never mind). For really stubborn nuts, carefully and we emphasize carefully, using the straw nozzle supplied with any WD-40 type product, "spritz" a very small amount at the top of the nut, let sit for a few minutes and then try loosening again. Should work. Cheers.

You must be a car salvage person. again, $8.00 eight dollars. Once I tried to do as you suggest, one real good tip-the correct tools and you can fix almost anything. Try removing a torx screw with a phillips head driver? You need 3 hands to do as you suggest. I was trained in the Army, and would get into shit for using the wrong tool.

Don't worry about wrecking the nuts, Its not like they didn't make thousands of them back in the day. The needlenose will work just great or a couple of screwdrivers Once you start getting them to move they are easy.

Thank you all for your input. I plan on just buying the tool. However, I ran into another complication. Whilst the dash has two speakers, its the dash set up for stereo, it has a mono AM radio. The wiring down to the radio is only mono so far as I can tell, which means somwhere in the harness, it must pipe the right nd left down to one line. I have no idea where. I'm starting to get a little peaved at this project.

Thank you all for your input. I plan on just buying the tool. However, I ran into another complication. Whilst the dash has two speakers, its the dash set up for stereo, it has a mono AM radio. The wiring down to the radio is only mono so far as I can tell, which means somwhere in the harness, it must pipe the right nd left down to one line. I have no idea where. I'm starting to get a little peaved at this project.

"old style" radios in cars had usually one wire to a speaker, using the car chassis for ground/neg. You can get an adaptor to fit the harness, or re-wire the speakers. I'm sure they are shit anyway so replace them.

Back