A center channel that matches big vintage mains?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a small thank you to all that contributed to this thread and sorry to OP, but as we all know topics can go severely sideways.
@somethingcleveridunno I hope you got closer to your center speaker answer.

For me on the side bar subject, I am now clear that it would not be a good idea to take two of my 9 B&W speakers and replace the two mains with another brand. Something I might think about in the future as I only have one room, is add a stereo pair, that does not have a pre/pro in front of it, just go from source, to pre amp and amp to speakers, right/left.
All right back to my current obsession with adding plug in filters with the help of Mitch Barnett, great sound at a fraction of the cost of equipment.

Just a small thank you to all that contributed to this thread and sorry to OP, but as we all know topics can go severely sideways.
@somethingcleveridunno I hope you got closer to your center speaker answer.

For me on the side bar subject, I am now clear that it would not be a good idea to take two of my 9 B&W speakers and replace the two mains with another brand. Something I might think about in the future as I only have one room, is add a stereo pair, that does not have a pre/pro in front of it, just go from source, to pre amp and amp to speakers, right/left.
All right back to my current obsession with adding plug in filters with the help of Mitch Barnett, great sound at a fraction of the cost of equipment.
It was very weird to see this thread come up again, but there was a lot of good discussion and that's always worthwhile!

I’m surprised that modern day speakers still incorporate cheap electrolytic caps. I replaced mine with poly caps except for the giant 2500 uF etc electrolytics.
The electrolytic caps are in the power amplifiers in the studio monitors. There are several different voltage power supplies, which use electrolytic filter caps, as well as a handful of coupling and decoupling caps. The low-level crossover circuits do not have aluminum caps.

The systems weren’t particularly expensive, $699 each as I recall, which seemed like a pretty good deal, considering that includes two 200W power amps, woofer, tweeter, and a low-level crossover. However, while I was working on the amps, I found quite a bit of a hard, black adhesive spread around the circuit boards, not applied with care, and filling up a threaded standoff that should have had a screw in it (the other units had the screw).

So while I do sincerely love the speakers’ sound now that they have been resurrected, I can’t say I’m wild about the build quality or the quality of some of the components the Chinese builders used.

Last edited:
Back