A hypothetical question for you.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double album to BDA - one disc or two?

• Put it all on one disc & stop messing around

Votes: 66 93.0%
  • splkit across 2 discs to match the original

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
I would prefer one disc, personally. I like multichannel music, but have little interest in extras. On most of the discs I have, the extras get played once or twice to satisfy my curiosity and that is all. The main reason I bought CD's in the first place was not to have to get up to change the side. Following this thinking, I also bought an early carousel player. While I didn't like digital until my recent acquisition of an Oppo, it made sense while doing other things. I use longer pieces of music to get through long tasks without thinking about changing discs. I have no experience to rely on or to comment with for changing layers, but I would guess it is less of an issue nowadays.

Its not a deal breaker to me if a very important release is split up into a 2 disk format if that makes the most sense but I would prefer a one disk configuration as others have mentioned that its so nice if you only have to put the disk in once and sit back and enjoy an amazing album from start to finish, wow, are we ever spoiled these days as some others have mentioned we used to have to get up 4 times to listen to a double album.
Whatever the choice its all good.

peter

Well, I voted for 1 disc just for sake of convenience - but wait, I'm somewhat conflicted: what if I hated all tracks on disc # 1 and loved them all on # 2? --- then I'd want a 2-disc set. Dang

I still haven't decided which way to vote, but either choice is fine with me. The companies charge more for two discs than one, but layer breaks are annoying to me. I'll be happy with just getting the stuff out.

I voted for one disc, for end user convenience sake only. However, if using one disc meant not being able to fit all planned audio and/or video extras (if there are in fact any), I would definitely change my mind.

You could always have an option on the menu such as "Play Full Album" alongside original L.P. format options such as : "Play side one", "Play side Two", etc. etc.

That said, if everything on one disc would cause my Oppo BDP-93 to experience layer break interruptions, I would definitely prefer two discs.

One disc....
As Linda said, if the artist wants the "theoretical switching of the discs" put a pause or a comment like "now switching discs"...

I vote for one disc. Convenience....

Just a suggestion - if the double album merits a "split" author it a bit like Nick Cave - Abbatoir Blues / The Lyre of Orpheus where you have to select what disc you're going to play....

P.S. Thanks for the "heads up" on Tales from Topographic Oceans :D

I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other, but that's because usually the first thing I do with any new audio is suck it into the computer and play it from there.

One - and it is what makes the bean counters happier. Just because we had 2 lps, does not mean we want 2 discs, if it all fits. But i have an Oppo which will play anything. Not sure what does not work in a large disc format for all players. If the flip is an issue then 2.

Although I prefer 1 disc, if doing 2 less expensive to create discs gets a title released, whereas a complex multi-layer disc gets the costs too high and the title gets shelved, I support 2 discs! :)

I vote for a single disc. I like physical media but don't need any more than necessary :)

However, if there are technical or economic reasons for going with single layer Blu-ray discs (the layer break you mentioned, or lower costs for 25GB discs, e.g.) then a 2-disc set would be fine with me.

Supposing there was a potential release for BDA that was originally a 2 album set.
Supposing it also gets CD & DVD-A/V editions, both of which have to be split across 2 discs.
Question:
Do we make the BDA match the rest of it and do 2 BD25 discs, or do we put it all onto one BD50?
Also - please state why you voted the way you did?

Two albums were two albums because of the 20mins / vinyl side running time. Many albums were split because of media restrictions not compositions... Yo punter had to, because of the media, get up to turn it over every 20mins. This modern technology really should be able to release the listener from such chores and let them enjoy the full music without distractions and edits / gaps. As long as the timing is right between side changes, it's not jarring. Check Amused To Death Cd vs Vinyl side turns. If you want a 'vinyl feeling' it's two discs, but give it another coupla years and no-one will remember.... Sadly....

Jem.

A great question!

I would go for a single disc unless the track ends up crossing layers and introducing a delay/break.

As,
(1) as a teenager a friend had an 8-track in the car and some tracks did this which was really irritating.
(2) it is really nice to listen to a whole body of music as a continuous piece of work

But I would rather bonus tracks were on a seperate disc.

A single disc has an advantage that its cheaper so might sell better.

A great question!

I would go for a single disc unless the track ends up crossing layers and introducing a delay/break.

As,
(1) as a teenager a friend had an 8-track in the car and some tracks did this which was really irritating.
(2) it is really nice to listen to a whole body of music as a continuous piece of work

But I would rather bonus tracks were on a seperate disc.

A single disc has an advantage that its cheaper so might sell better.

as a teenager a friend had an 8-track in the car and some tracks did this which was really irritating.
I remember having Moonflower on an 8 track for the car, it was awful because of the interruptions of songs.

I vote for single disc. Lets use the technology as it is available. Preference.

Jon's point is very well taken and I second it. If either format assures release, I'm for that. Priority.

Back