A hypothetical question for you.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Double album to BDA - one disc or two?

• Put it all on one disc & stop messing around

Votes: 66 93.0%
  • splkit across 2 discs to match the original

Votes: 5 7.0%

• Total voters
Thanks for asking Neil!

Despite Dennis' good arguement for multiple discs for copying/backup purposes, I absolutely 100% prefer one disc (unless there's a serious technical issue).

Reasons: Less waste of materials. Less shelf space wasted (unless packaged in same size case). Having to change disc and having the macro flow broken.

Thoughts and suggestions: Most vinyl albums had side breaks and disc breaks for the obvious reason of physical limitations. Artists/producers programmed their music to fit within these limitations, sometimes creating distinct flows based around the limitations. Just as there's not 2 CDs for, let's say, Meddle or Close To The Edge, artistically designed "sides" can still work as a single flow if there's a little space included before "side two" (or "side three") begins, particularly if there's a hard entry. In special cases (ideally with the opinions of the artists requested) perhaps a "hard pause" could be authored into the disc with the listener required to press Enter or play to "Continue to Part B". Otherwise, including 5 to 10 seconds of silence could suffice if there was a well designed disc ending (like The Wall's side two).

BTW - I'm firmly against including bonus materials in the main program unless the artist thinks it's a great idea. This is where blu rays and dvds have a clear advantage over CDs. A good "bad example" is the Angel's Egg CD where a well defined and beautiful ending to the album is marred when the bonus track blasts in and destroys the mood the album has left you with.

Yes. Again, you are in the minority. :p

I knew that from the beginning when I chose to be a lupin thief. Had I chosen to steal things of greater value my popularity would have really taken off!

It was very considerate of NW to ask us about this. If he choses wrongly(and listens to all of you silly sods) I will still be just as happy. :) As long as we get that double disc bluray straight away, so I would tell NW to get on with it will all speed!

A bigger problem than 1 or 2 discs is the ability to play many 5.1 recordings continuously or make variety discs like we did with tapes, back in the day.

To the guys who rip to PC and play from there: What software player do you mostly use and is there an option for jukebox mode or random track mode from many source recordings?

@Homer: Yes as long as you always make a back-up HD. But after a few years the back up HD gets thrown away as we migrate our back-ups to a larger & newer capacity HD(I have done this for years). So a HD is not really better than backing up to optical. I do both for recordings I consider to be priceless.

Ok, so after all this: What double disc recording are we talking about??? :steering:

I'm torn. I voted for one disc, however:

If it is being split to keep it like the original, don't bother. Less work for me, less work for manufacturing, less pollution, less plastic and paper trash in the environment.

On the other hand, if it will put the original album on one disc and the alternate album and extras on another disc with no layer breaks, Do That! (y)

I say offer BOTH options. One disc for ease, etc, and a two disc version for separation of extras, album breaks, whatever. That way everyone wins!

That's not very cost effective.

How so? First off, we have not established the title, the song/extras/album break sequence yet, the actual size, the actual price to produce either version, not to mention the whole debate and fact that people would buy either version, but based upon conditions, none of which have been confirmed. So the bottom line is if you release both, both will sell. Until you know production cost vs. marketability, your negation of my suggestion is unfounded, unconfirmed, unsubstantiated, unright, and any other un word you can think of to add. :confused::confused::confused:

I'm in favor of a single disc. However, is it possible to make playing the original separate disc format the default? In other words, could there be a hard stop before hearing the next historical disc (or reel?) on the single disc version until "play" is pressed again ? I (almost) always use my display for play and would choose continuous play if it were an option. This raises the other question of the use of the display for listening. I don't mind it but understand that others do.

I would vote for one disc for convenience in playback and space saving in storage.

Back