Aerosmith - Get Your Wings??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wrat

I have a supposed sq vinyl to dvda conversion with a strange anomaly, Track 4 woman of the world SUPPOSED to be 5:51 in length BUT its not its 3:40 it does not sound like the end was clipped , anyone have? seen? Ideas?

I have a supposed sq vinyl to dvda conversion with a strange anomaly, Track 4 woman of the world SUPPOSED to be 5:51 in length BUT its not its 3:40 it does not sound like the end was clipped , anyone have? seen? Ideas?

I've been wondering that forever.....mine is the same, it almost sounds like a radio edit, the long instrumental intro is missing for sure.

True, but in this case the track on the album is indeed 5:50.

lots of albums have incorrectly listed timing , due to a longer or short version(s) being but on a particuler pressing but not changing the label art to reflect that.

Its 3:41 on this flac conversion, but it only came with photo of front cover
Cover.jpeg

Just looked at Tidal and playing now Track 4 is 5:48 on Tidal.

That must be the regular stereo version.
The Sony 360 version on Tidal below (which I assume is just an upmix of the Quad) is 3:37.

Screenshot_20210424-143605_TIDAL.jpg

ID :1
Format :MPEG-H 3D Audio
Format profile :LC@L3
Codec ID :mha1
Duration :3 min 37 s
Source duration :3 min 37 s
Bit rate :666 kb/s
Channel(s) :12 channels (7.1.4)
Channel layout :L R C LFE Lb Rb Lss Rss Tfl Tfr Tbl Tbr
Sampling rate :48.0 kHz
Frame rate :46.875 FPS (1024 SPF)
Stream size :17.3 MiB (98%)
Source stream size :17.3 MiB (98%)
Encoded date :UTC 2019-09-30 18:39:58
Tagged date :UTC 2019-09-30 18:39:58
Signal group #1 :4 objects
Type :Object
Number of objects :4 objects
Codec configuration box :mhaC

It's possible that the end of the song was truncated to balance out the playing time of the two sides of the Q8, but it is kind of unusual that they didn't bother putting the excised bit at the beginning of side 2. There are a bunch of Columbia Q8's like that, where a song fades out at the end of side 1 and fades back in at the beginning of side 2 - that 16 minute jam on the Santana & Alice Coltrane Q8 has about 14 minutes on side 1 and 2 minutes on side 2, and I think 'Free Form Funkafide Filth' from the Santana/Buddy Miles Live! disc is similarly split on the Q8.

Whatever the case is, I think it puts to rest any notions that Columbia was doing separate SQ and discrete mixes, as both the Q8 and SQ LP being the same running length suggests that both masters were derived from the same mixing session as there's no reason they couldn't have put the full-length version on the SQ LP.

in this instance they don't need licencing at all, Sony control them already. there are exceptions where artists have the final say but in the case of the old CBS Quads not as many as people think.

two of the Aerosmith Quads (Rocks & Get Your Wings) are available right now in 360RA on Tidal and Amazon Music Unlimited. hopefully they will be released in Dolby Audio on Apple Music before UMG take over the catalogue.

Chicago's in WEA's hands now, including all the CBS Quads, hence Rhino's Quadio box set, so i think we can forget about seeing any Chicago Quads on Apple Music or in 360RA form anywhere anytime soon.

Sony control the Santana catalogue, they just don't want to give it away, various labels have tried licencing certain titles over the years, other than MFSL, pretty much to no avail.

i don't know which 'bigger dogs' you're alluding to? even in the case of an artist such as Paul Simon, who anecdotally refused to countenance his CBS Quads being reissued (including S&G's Bridge Over Troubled Water, where the Sony Japan Quad SACD got cancelled, we don't actually know how true any of that speculation ever was but still..) well, even some of his Quads are now available in 360RA on Tidal and Amazon Music Unlimited and it feels like Apple Music Dolby Audio offerings of S&G and his solo work can't be far behind.

i think Sony are as committed as we could hope for at this stage, between the Sony Japan 7" SACDs, Dutton Vocalion's SACDs of CBS & RCA Quads and the latest streaming Dolby Audio & 360RA push, Sony have been involved in the reissue of more of their old Quads in the last 5 years than at any time in the previous 40 years.
I’d love to hear those Aerosmith Quads. We’re they well done? I have Toys in the Attic in 5.1, I think it’s a SACD. would great to see that on Apple Music as well in surround.

They are great. Maybe it’s just me, but I personally think Get Your Wings is the best of the bunch. It’s one of the better quad mixes in general, IMO.
Oh man, I’ve got to have this. I grew up in Boston and used to see this band before they got big. I’d love to hear Get Your Wings in quad. It’s probably my favorite of theirs.

The only problem with Get Your Wings in quad is they used an edited-down version of "Woman Of The World" (presumably to balance out the program lengths on the Q8 tape?). Rocks is my favorite, the surround effect on "Back In The Saddle" with the horses galloping around the room is great.

The only problem with Get Your Wings in quad is they used an edited-down version of "Woman Of The World" (presumably to balance out the program lengths on the Q8 tape?). Rocks is my favorite, the surround effect on "Back In The Saddle" with the horses galloping around the room is great.

I've wanted to hear the quad mix of Rocks for a really long time. Hope it's not too long now.

Back