Alan Parsons Project - The Turn of a Friendly Card (Box Set in Feb 2023, standalone Blu-Ray in May)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All of the APP blu rays have been DTS-HD so far, nothing to suggest this will be different, AP solo albums don’t sell in big numbers which is the difference
Here in the U.S. the "From The New World" DVD is only Dolby Digital 5.1, blu ray not available in U.S.. "One Note Symphony" blu ray which I got from Amazon and returned was only Dolby Digital 5.1 - for a hefty price I got the Japanese version from CD Japan which was 5.1 DTS-HD. So when the announcement doesn't specifically say the audio format we do not know for sure unfortunately.

Here in the U.S. the "From The New World" DVD is only Dolby Digital 5.1, blu ray not available in U.S.. "One Note Symphony" blu ray which I got from Amazon and returned was only Dolby Digital 5.1 - for a hefty price I got the Japanese version from CD Japan which was 5.1 DTS-HD. So when the announcement doesn't specifically say the audio format we do not know for sure unfortunately.
There is a difference between Alan Parsons solo material you mentioned and the classic Alan Parsons Project catalog which includes Turn. All the Project releases have been lossless.

This all raises an interesting question though: would you put up with a less-than-optimal surround format if it saved you from buying a big box set full of stuff you don’t want or need?
In my case, I think the answer is…yes 🤑
1. Big box with DTS-HD and 3 discs that will never get played for £70….or

2. Standalone blu ray or dvd with DTS for £20

I choose no. 2 every time

I passed on the box set, but a standalone blu-ray will fit in nicely with all the other APP stand alone blu-rays I've purchased. Supporting these dedicated surround releases on blu-ray is important, not just to save $$, but to encourage other artists/companies to do the same. A no-brainer buy for me.

This all raises an interesting question though: would you put up with a less-than-optimal surround format if it saved you from buying a big box set full of stuff you don’t want or need?
In my case, I think the answer is…yes 🤑
I tend to agree but whenever I think this way I remember the jaw dropping moment when I heard the Japanese Blu-Ray of One Note Symphony (HD audio) after hearing the same concert on the domestic Blu-Ray version (lossy Dolby). It was not a minor difference.

For me that raises a second question, why would we have too.
With the availablity of blu-ray disc and high speed download connections why would/should we have to settle less than lossless?

For me that raises a second question, why would we have too.
With the availablity of blu-ray disc and high speed download connections why would/should we have to settle less than lossless?
..Oh I don't know.. How about because that's the only form it was released in🤔??
I know what you are getting at but often times, DD is still fine to listen too.

Last edited:
I had jut ordered the box yesterday! Thankfully I had ordered from Bull Moose who (unlike Import CDs) make it very easy to cancel an order. :)

Grateful now that I don't have to spend the money on a big box. Hopefully the 5.1 will appear on the streaming services when the box is released so those of us who opt to wait for the stand-alone disc can at least get to preview the mix. Great news!
Also, ImportCD customer service is atrocious. They shorted me $125 worth of merchandise once, blew me off. Every penny I saved there gone. Needless to say, I won't order from them again.

I tend to agree but whenever I think this way I remember the jaw dropping moment when I heard the Japanese Blu-Ray of One Note Symphony (HD audio) after hearing the same concert on the domestic Blu-Ray version (lossy Dolby). It was not a minor difference.
Oh - I have no doubt it would sound better…I was just pondering a hypothetical question along the lines of:
The HD Audio Disc is locked in a $200 box set with vinyl, rough mixes you will listen to once, marbles, scarfs, drumsticks, concert-worn undergarments, used chewing gum, etc…
The Dolby disc is stand-alone for $30.
What then? 🤔

Back