Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure but I think these were shipped from the U.K.? I live pretty close to where AP mixed this and do not live far from him. So, why didn't I get mine first?! LOL

I own the 2007 Deluxe edition with both versions and never heard the 1987 mix. :mad:@:

Here's something important I picked up from the interview with Sally Woolfson (Eric Woolfson's daughter) in the box set's book:

Any other plans afoot then with the catalogue?

We're in the process of baking every master tape we have and that have been stored for the last 30-40 years. They were getting into a terrible state and it was time to restore them and digitize the contents and make sure nothing was lost. In doing that I've unearthed a treasure trove of bonus material and we've recently discovered a box of about one hundred cassettes of Dad' songwriting diaries. Next up is "Eye in the Sky", which has its 35th anniversary next year. I'm already in discussions with Sony about that.

Here's something important I picked up from the interview with Sally Woolfson (Eric Woolfson's daughter) in the box set's book:

If this is indeed happening and anniversary issues are being considered, I may get Pyramids within the next 2 years as it is coming up on 40.

Don't get me wrong, but having the AP catalog in MCH would be BEYOND awesome...

One thing, though....I'm not sure when, but I think "Eye.." is his first DIGITAL 44(48)/16 recording and/or mix,

SO,

it won't be Hi Rez, only MCH!!!

BTW, did he ever go back to Analog????

Don't get me wrong, but having the AP catalog in MCH would be BEYOND awesome...

One thing, though....I'm not sure when, but I think "Eye.." is his first DIGITAL 44(48)/16 recording and/or mix,

SO,

it won't be Hi Rez, only MCH!!!

BTW, did he ever go back to Analog????

According to Wikipedia (take that as you will…) "Eye in the Sky" was recorded on analogue tape and was then mixed down digitally, so while the original mix may have early digital limitations, the multitracks should not have those digital limitations if they are all on analogue tape. :)

According to Wikipedia (take that as you will…) "Eye in the Sky" was recorded on analogue tape and was then mixed down digitally, so while the original mix may have early digital limitations, the multitracks should not have those digital limitations if they are all on analogue tape. :)

AWESOME!!!!

OK, so was it Ammonia Avenue when he started with Digital Multitrack recording???

AWESOME!!!!

OK, so was it Ammonia Avenue when he started with Digital Multitrack recording???

Nope, again according to Wikipedia (so take that as you will), both "Ammonia Avenue" and "Vulture Culture" followed the same procedure as "Eye in the Sky", which was to record on analogue tape then mix down digitally. :)

Which we can all be grateful for! Most of the best sounding discs released with re-mixes did that, Analogue multi/mixed down to Digital. IMHO a lot of the early Digital recordings were not very good - an exception is Ry Cooder's "Bop 'Till You Drop".

Nope, again according to Wikipedia (so take that as you will), both "Ammonia Avenue" and "Vulture Culture" followed the same procedure as "Eye in the Sky", which was to record on analogue tape then mix down digitally. :)

I was hoping for further reissues in chronological order, but I'll probably go for whatever is out there. For some reason, many of my favorite artists albums I like most were very early in their careers (Aerosmith, Rush, Kiss, Marillion), and APP is in that category. Tales, I Robot and Pyramid are my trifecta. I haven't ordered Tales yet (missed Amazon's cyber Monday price cut), but I absolutely will buy this. Probably my favorite APP release.

I was hoping for further reissues in chronological order, but I'll probably go for whatever is out there. For some reason, many of my favorite artists albums I like most were very early in their careers (Aerosmith, Rush, Kiss, Marillion), and APP is in that category. Tales, I Robot and Pyramid are my trifecta. I haven't ordered Tales yet (missed Amazon's cyber Monday price cut), but I absolutely will buy this. Probably my favorite APP release.

Probably the best thing they could do next year would be to release deluxe editions (with surround sound) of BOTH "Eye in the Sky" and "I Robot".
Then "Pyramid" in 2018, and the rest following in 2019 and beyond! :)

Well, I waited till Dec.2 to see if I could order from Amazon.ca for the single bluray release and a few international sellers did have it listed and I ordered in on Friday and today I see that it says shipped,HORRAH :).
The weird thing is I was checking Saturday and amazon.ca listed it for sale for Dec.9 release date preorder and then all of a sudden the resellers not listed at all, as thats normal practice that Amazon has first chance to sell and then resellers can sell on and after a release date so thats what got me worried yesterday as was wondering if the reseller could then still send it.
Now checking today and it does not show available from anyone on Amazon.ca.
What is going on, did the preorder sell out on Saturday or is it more Amazon shenanigans going on here.

peter

Has anyone tried the download code yet? It's not working for me, I get code not recognised, I have messaged the help but not had a reply yet. My next step will be to contact the project on PledgeMusic.

Edit: Tales of Mystery and imagination is NOT on www.hfpureaudio.com list of eligible downloads.

Last edited:
Has anyone tried the download code yet? It's not working for me, I get code not recognised, I have messaged the help but not had a reply yet. My next step will be to contact the project on PledgeMusic.

Edit: Tales of Mystery and imagination is NOT on www.hfpureaudio.com list of eligible downloads.

Ok I contacted through the Alan Parsons Project website and got an email back from them almost immediately:

Thank you for making us aware of this. We are making the relevant people aware and it should hopefully be resolved very soon.

Kind regards

James
So I will try again in a couple of days and see if there are any developments.

And I already have something bad to report:

On my copy the Stereo Mix on the Blu Ray is faulty. "The Cask Of Montillado" stops after a few seconds, regardless of which I player around the House I use. Anyone else ran into this problem?

… When it plays though, the '76 Mix does sound better than the 90ish CD release from Germany I have lying around and have been listening to since forever. Which is not entirely fair, sure, as it features the Orson Welles Version, but the new '76 HD files sound A HELL OF A LOT crisper and way more spacious. Even my Girlfriend, who's definitely no sucker for a good recording, noticed it immediately.

No words from my side on the 5.1 track as I haven't set-up my system in my new flat yet.

On my copy the Stereo Mix on the Blu Ray is faulty. "The Cask Of Montillado" stops after a few seconds, regardless of which I player around the House I use. Anyone else ran into this problem?

… When it plays though, the '76 Mix does sound better than the 90ish CD release from Germany I have lying around and have been listening to since forever. Which is not entirely fair, sure, as it features the Orson Welles Version, but the new '76 HD files sound A HELL OF A LOT crisper and way more spacious. Even my Girlfriend, who's definitely no sucker for a good recording, noticed it immediately.

No words from my side on the 5.1 track as I haven't set-up my system in my new flat yet.

No problem here with the Stereo Mix on the Blu-Ray.

Does it stop at the at the exact same time everytime? The disc may need cleaning. My Skylarking disc stopped at 5:41 the other day. Cleaned it and it was fine. I use Pledge Multi-surface cleaner and a microfibre cloth. If you don't like using cleaning solutions, try just distilled water on the cloth.

Back