Alan Parsons to Release "Tales of Mystery and Imagination: Edgar Allan Poe" 5.1 Mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The stereo mix plays fine on my player, but I won't be playing it very much. The 5.1 surround mix is the best way to listen to this album! :)

I just got an update e-mail from alanparsonsproject about the download code included with the Blu-ray not working:

Dear Stephen

Universal has looked into this and discovered there was a problem with the audio in the backend of the site.

This should be rectified, visible on the site and available for download by the end of play tomorrow.

Thanks for making us aware.

Kindest regards

James

So that'll be good.(y)

Am I the only one who hasn't received their shipment yet? I got the email from Pledge on 11/29, but it's 12/7 and it still hasn't arrived. A tracking number would have been nice. :(

Am I the only one who hasn't received their shipment yet? I got the email from Pledge on 11/29, but it's 12/7 and it still hasn't arrived. A tracking number would have been nice. :(

You are not the only one. I purchased as well via Pledge....and nothing yet.

Mine showed up tonight (12-7), and I ordered through the Pledge. Took longer than I thought it would, but at least I was able to get the Bluray without spending the $$ for the big box.

Mine showed up tonight (12-7), and I ordered through the Pledge. Took longer than I thought it would, but at least I was able to get the Bluray without spending the $$ for the big box.

Wow, "Tonight"...as in...not during the day? Small town guy here....if it's not at my house by 3PM, it isn't coming. :chill

Mine arrived today, and with just one listen under my belt, this is beautiful! New music to me but...wow. Hope everyone waiting on this gets theirs soon!

Just received my Blu-ray from Pledge yesterday, as well. The surround section has two mixes: DTS HD Master 5.1 and 96/24 5.1 LPCM. I like the DTS HD much better than the LPCM because it has tighter bass. It's wonderful. Very discreet! The 96/24 Stereo LPCM track has no issues and sounds great, as well! Do miss the Orson Wells speaking part though which I really like on the 1987 remix and 5.1 versions!) Also included - a very nice booklet with an essay by Parsons, specifically for audiophiles, on how they 'baked the tapes' and created the mixes. The album cover is a graphic on the right side of the screen with moving black and white pictures (and fog!) Very pleased indeed!

Just received my Blu-ray from Pledge yesterday, as well. The surround section has two mixes: DTS HD Master 5.1 and 96/24 5.1 LPCM. I like the DTS HD much better than the LPCM because it has tighter bass. It's wonderful. Very discreet! The 96/24 Stereo LPCM track has no issues and sounds great, as well! Do miss the Orson Wells speaking part though which I really like on the 1987 remix and 5.1 versions!) Also included - a very nice booklet with an essay by Parsons, specifically for audiophiles, on how they 'baked the tapes' and created the mixes. The album cover is a graphic on the right side of the screen with moving black and white pictures (and fog!) Very pleased indeed!

False. The mix is the same for both the DTS-HD MA and LPCM 5.1 streams.

I like the DTS HD much better than the LPCM because it has tighter bass.
False. The mix is the same for both the DTS-HD MA and LPCM 5.1 streams.
Any audible difference is probably down to the way your player/decoder/DAC handles DTS-HD MA and LPCM differently.

I was able to redeem the code through the HFPA site today. Currently downloading!

EDIT: However, it is just one long continuous WAV file with no embedded CUE sheet, so... That kinda sucks. But I am pleased to report that the file measures a nice DR12 on the TT meter.

My copy has arrived today. Just listening now and it sounds wonderful.

The 2 Tales have made my year, surround -wise - Topographic Oceans and Mystery and Imagination !

Bring on I Robot, Pyramid and Turn of a Friendly Card in surround PLEASE !!

Any audible difference is probably down to the way your player/decoder/DAC handles DTS-HD MA and LPCM differently.

I was able to redeem the code through the HFPA site today. Currently downloading!

EDIT: However, it is just one long continuous WAV file with no embedded CUE sheet, so... That kinda sucks. But I am pleased to report that the file measures a nice DR12 on the TT meter.

Thanks - there does seem to be a difference in decoding. I'll check into it!

As far as the shipping speed, having ordered many many times from Europe and Great Britain it takes time and unless you get pay for expensive Fedex shipping you don't get tracking.
I live in the Pacific Northwest(Seattle) and got mine today just about when I expected it in fact a bit faster than the average.
Glad to have it.

My initial take on the first few tunes is that this is very enjoyable and very crankable. I haven't really had a chance to deeply listen to the surrounds, but I've heard a few fun bits, particularly in The Tell-Tale Heart.

Received my copy on Wednesday via PledgeMusic. Just finished listening to the (kind of bright) two-channel version but it sounds very clear and good. About to play the 5.1 and, from what I hear, I'm in for a real treat with the extended Orson Welles dialogue.....and singing. Joking about the singing! :yikes :D

Nope, again according to Wikipedia (so take that as you will), both "Ammonia Avenue" and "Vulture Culture" followed the same procedure as "Eye in the Sky", which was to record on analogue tape then mix down digitally. :)

I don't believe that's correct.

All APP albums were analog recordings and mixes until Vulture Cultre (1984), which was the act's first digitally mixed album. It sported an ADD SPARS code, indicating a digitally mixed analog recording. 1985's Stereotomy -- and all subsequent AP releases -- were all-digital (DDD). The 1987 reissue of Tales of Mystery and Imagination was a new digital mix from the original analog tapes (obviously).

Back