ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like Bob Seger has a new album coming out in October HERE the CD is on amazon here

I've never seen any hi rez by Seger...no DVD-A's or SACD's...are there any?

i like his concept...

“I feel really good about this record,” Seger said in a statement. “This album touches on how I think a lot of us feel about finding our place in a more complicated world – from how we appreciate things as simple and pure as love, to navigating through the corruption and violence that permeates the news. It sums up a lot of feelings I have about a variety of subjects.”

its really a shame none of his albums have been done in multi channel...

ahhh...the good old days!...yo-yo's...hoola hoops...slinky...zonkers!... BUT...the one maybe not remembered was BOP-A-BEAR...remote controlled 3' or 4' tall very life like walked and roared...my brother endlessly tormented the hell outta me with that damn thing!!!

edit..
HA! lil different than i remembered...still...scared the crap outta me!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Well today Bruce Springsteen is 65, Happy Birthday! He had the distinction of being the first artist to have his album...Born In The USA...pressed on an AMERICAN made compact disc...maybe Quad Linda can expand on THIS

Last edited:
My first Born in the USA was a domestic LP. It was released on that format first in the US. A week or two later, I saw it as an import at Rose Records in Downtown Chicago (later acquired by Tower) for $30. I wasn't prepared to pay that much. So, I asked my friend Jimmy P. Staggs (aka radio DJ/Program Director Jim Stagg) at Record City how soon they could get it. "It just arrived on a domestic pressing," he told me. So, as with most new releases, I got it the first day it was out. On my next visit, I returned the vinyl for full credit. I've only owned two copies of that title.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Staggs
1966 WCFL (WLS' main compeition) Stagg aircheck: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzaJAfSNk4g

Record City was the largest independent record store around Chicago. Employee pricing and free exchanges on all in-print titles were great perks from being a friend of Jimmy, Valene & their family. Free phono cartridges and hookup/repairs were what they got in return. Reciprocity.

Born to Run was one of my first CD's. It was pressed in Japan and came from Pacific Stereo, where I had previously worked. I had a Sony 19" color TV that State Farm reimbursed me for, since it was hit by lightning. I used that money to buy a Sony CDP-101 CD player, the first (along with a Hitachi) CD player available in the US. I bought the player and a dozen CD's on CBS and Telarc that same day from Pacific.

I also bought Joni Mitchell's Wild Things, Abbey Road, Bowie's Let's Dance & Dark Side on Japan CD's the same day from Stereo Studio, a high end shop that I had previously managed. Wild Things was first released on US CD about 10 years later. Abbey Road went OOP on Toshiba/EMI the next week. It was two or three years until it was released on CD in the US & UK, or repressed by Toshiba/EMI in Japan.

I then visited Record City's original location in Skokie and bought a couple dozen other CD's, all pressed by Sony in Japan or Polygram in Hannover, West Germany. I had perhaps 30 CD's the first day I had my CD player. My LP collection was at 4,000 at that point and I had ALL the CD's I cared to own.

I had previously owned an LP and 1/2 speed LP of Born to Run. I subsequently bought the Born to Run box. A client of mine manufactured the box itself and disc sleeves.

Today, I own over 15,000 CD's and over 5,000 LP's. Perhaps a third of those LP's were among the 4,000 I owned when CD's hit. The rest got traded at Record City 2 LP's for 1 CD, when I replaced titles on LP with CD's. Although Record City has been out of business for 9 years, a sizable portion of my collection, including promos, had come from there.

Born in the USA was the first CD pressed in the US by Digital Audio Disc Corp. (DADC). It was a joint venture of CBS and Sony. A few years later, the plant's CBS share was sold to Sony. After a few more years, the entire record company was sold to Sony.

John Coltrane was born on this day in 1926 (my mother was born on July 4 of that year, while Chuck Berry on October 18) and I never need an excuse to remember Trane and his brilliance (The Boss hasn't done too bad for himself, either).

Another one: "Green Tambourine" by The Lemon pipers. Psychedelic, man.

I remember my sister playing the hell out of that one back in the day...and it was the first time I saw Paul Leka's name on a 45's credits (he would later produce and concoct Steam's lamentable "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" (1969) and some of Harry Chapin's worst, including the execrable "WOLD" and "Cat's in the Cradle"). Leka was an indie producer who latched onto acts and got them that one hit, though...one of the better ones being a Spanky & the Gang knockoff by the Peppermint Rainbow, "Will You Be Staying After Sunday" (also '69), the album of which is notable for Leka reusing the backing track of "Green Tambourine" for that group's version. He was hit-and-miss, but damned persistent, if nothing else (the royalties from "Green Tambourine" alone must have kept him comfy and cozy).

Someday someone will explain to me in a way I can understand, just what 'psychedelic' meant in terms of rock music. I'm always reading that description applied to a lot of music that, to me, is just plain ol' rock'n'roll (generally '60s garage band with a bit of flash). I mean, one of my favorite singles of 1967 remains the studio group Sagittarius' "My World Fell Down." Wasn't a big hit nationally, but is an interesting excursion by cats who had worked with (among others of the L.A. scene) Brian Wilson. Indeed, this gem might well have been the next step beyond "Good Vibrations" (the aborted SMILE project notwithstanding). The record was also mildly influential for its montage of sounds in the middle of the song, used not long after by the Buckinghams for "Susan" (same year) and Led Zeppelin ("Whole Lotta Love," '69).

ED :)

Many folks have never heard of Sagittarius. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sagittarius_(band) It was a pet project of producer Gary Usher with his pal Curt Boettcher. My first exposure to Sagittarius was when I bought the single version of My World Fell Down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aprDkTOtSww The single features a musique concrète bridge which was popular in '67. The "bullfight" portion of that bridge is said to be an unused seque from Brian Wilson's (then unreleased) Smile. The LP version of My World omits the musique concrete bridge. Usher was a friend of Wilson's and wrote lyrics for several early Beach Boys songs. So, it is entirely possible that Wilson bequeathed that snippet to him. My World charted at #70 on Billboard, although it did make the Top 20 in Chicago. My World featured Glen Campbell (who did the lead vocal on the track), Bruce Johnston and Terry Melcher. Curt Boettcher did NOT appear on My World. I've since owned several copies of Present Tense & The Blue Marble.
sagittarius.jpg

Sagitarrius - Love that first LP..... and "Hotel Indiscreet" is a CLASSIC!

Go see Seger folks - went last year & it was a great show. Does he sound like he did 40 years ago? No. Does he sound great for a guy his age - Yes! Great band, great songs, great time!

Generally, Psychedelic, as it relates to music, means that the selection in question has sounds in it reminiscent of an LSD trip, such as echoes and phasing effects.

Doug

Iron Butterfly's HEAVY was obvious psych (with a cover to match), while the more accessible IN-A-GADDA-DA-VIDA was just that for the title track (and its structure a template for, among other things, Pink Floyd's "Echoes"). BALL was very quirky, a mix of psych and fluff that was as far as Doug Ingle could take things.

ED :)

what are your 3 most favorite releases (any format) so far this year?

mine are...

PF Division Bell

Beck Morning Phase

Petty Hypnotic Eye

Yes The Yes Album

(ok...4!)

Life is certainly good these days in hi rez land....this November is going to be one to remember...surrounded by good music..some approx. dates and titles

Signal to Noise 11/3
Relayer 11/4
Songs from the Big Chair 11/4
Endless River 11/10
Child is the Father to The Man 11/11
Reckless 11/25
Trilogy 11/17
War Child 11/24

Last edited:
I happen to notice a title from Yusuf coming out on CD Oct 27th...who is Yusuf you ask...well he went by Cat Stevens "back in the day".. but his birth name was Steven Demetre Georgiou the son of a Greek father and Swedish mother....I must admit I had pretty much forgotten about him until recently when I watched the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction show on the tube..which prompted me to buy Tea For The Tillerman SACD and a very good sounding CD of his greatests hits...his life had several turning points...near brushes with death...in 1969 he contracted tuberculosis and almost died....and in 1975 he almost drowned..and he embraced Islam and changed his name to Yusuf Islam...after his last pop album in 1978 he was absent from the music scene for decades until in the 90's he recorded some religious songs...in 2006 he recorded An Other Cup.. and 2009 Roadsinger....and his new album is HERE he sounded very good on the 2014 HOF show...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back