ALL ABOUT MUSIC

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So...

I'm in Chicago at a Seed Trade Convention....staying at the Hyatt Regency on Wacker Drive. 30 stories of madness....
Anyway - since all the good bars and night clubs were just blocks away...we would go out every night to have some brews and check out the crazy nightlife in Chicago.

Me and another guy go to a pretty quiet looking pub, which is situated on a corner next to some other bars. At this point, I paid no attention to the name of the place...meant very little to me.

It's about 8PM on a Thursday night, not much of a crowd whatsoever. In fact, there is a black gentleman sitting at the bar, alone. I slip in next to him...mutter "how's it going" and mind my own business. Before I could order my drink, he points to the barkeep and he brings me a pint of something...don't know what it was. I thank him, he just smiles and says nothing.

We then get into a very pleasant conversation about the weather...why I'm in Chicago and a few comments about music. We had a nice conversation. After an hour of small talk, people had been coming in a bit more. He gets up, goes up to a stage in the corner and grabs a guitar and starts hammering out some jams that to me sound like Jimmy Hendrix. I was like...holy shit. Holy shit....this local guy is good...

He introduces himself....

"Welcome to Legends, I'm Buddy Guy"

I'm like...holy shit!!! I had absolutely NO clue it was Buddy Guy and he was buying me a beer and sharing small talk. He proceeded to burn the damn place down with his style of rock blues that we all love. At the end of the set he went behind the bar, grabbed a new CD of his...signed it with a nice message saying he appreciated our visit. Of course...I was humbled. I still have that CD of course...it's in a closet very well protected.

That was 1991.

EDIT - I will say, basically, I knew only a little bit about Buddy Guy...had I been a huge fan, I would have known him I think. From that night forward, I became a huge fan.......and realize his huge contribution to music.

Last edited:
Great story, that would have been around the time of the album "Damn Right I Got The Blues". Its wonderful when you find out how down-to-earth some of these guitar heroes are, Buddy Guy is someone I've never seen and would love to.

Great story! I agree on how down to earth those guys can be... Back around the same time while I was in college (Michigan State), me & a couple friends went to see Lonnie Brooks at the local blues bar (Rick's in East Lansing). In between sets we were playing pool - he came over to the table & asked if he could play the winner & even insisted on putting up the quarters on his first game in like everybody else does. Needless to say, it was a bloodbath as he beat the snot out of us, however while we were playing, he was just another guy shootin' the sh*t. He played with us between two different sets. Obviously he's no huge superstar, but that was one of my favorite nights of live music ever. Incidently, his son, Ronnie Baker Brooks was in his band and was one of the better guitar players I've ever seen, period.

Was surfing the net and checking my usual websites for deals and ran across this sale of Hall and Oates vinyl or SACD 3 pack for $61.99 with free shipping HERE you may need to be signed in to see the price...it's a limited sale..not sure how long it lasts..

Wow, Monday is shaping up to be a great day here in Central Illinois....well, OK. At my house....well, OK. In my audio room...lol

1. King Crimson - Red DVD-A
2. Bob Marley - Legend 30th Anniversary Blu
3. Yes - Yes Album Blu
4. Bryan Adams - Reckless Blu

So, QQ gang. I already own Yellow Brick Road SACD...have had it for some time. It has always been my "least favorite" SACd in terms of overall audio quality from all the Elton John's I own. Still, very good.

I'm debating double dipping and getting the blu-ray audio version. Anyone have both and can comment on comparisons?

So, QQ gang. I already own Yellow Brick Road SACD...have had it for some time. It has always been my "least favorite" SACd in terms of overall audio quality from all the Elton John's I own. Still, very good.

I'm debating double dipping and getting the blu-ray audio version. Anyone have both and can comment on comparisons?

This QQ thread may prove useful to you if you haven't checked it out already:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ow-Brick-Road-quot-HFPA-Blu-Ray-Release/page3

(y)

I don't have the SACD but I have the DVD-A and the Blu-ray.
The Blu-ray is better.
I agree with you on the SACD\DVD-A.
Tizzy highs.

GOS,

I have the SACD, the DVD-A, and the BluRay. (I know, I'm a nut job)

However, I can say that IMHO when I got the BluRay and listened to it in passing, it sounded to me far superior to both the SACD and DVD-A, although I have to admit I only listened to the SACD once.

OK, so it looks like I will be buying the blu-ray version. Too big of a fan of Elton's material to not do so. Thanks guys.

I may be in the minority here, GOS, but after careful comparison between the SACD and Blu-Ray I could detect no difference in mix or mastering of the 5.1 layer (apart from the non fade-in on Social Disease). I don't doubt that others hear an improvement on the BD but on my setup they sound identical.

However, I'm a big fan of the new stereo mastering on the Blu-Ray. It may not have quite the dynamic range of the SHM-SACD but to my ears has a much improved EQ.

I may be in the minority here, GOS, but after careful comparison between the SACD and Blu-Ray I could detect no difference in mix or mastering of the 5.1 layer (apart from the non fade-in on Social Disease). I don't doubt that others hear an improvement on the BD but on my setup they sound identical.

However, I'm a big fan of the new stereo mastering on the Blu-Ray. It may not have quite the dynamic range of the SHM-SACD but to my ears has a much improved EQ.

Appreciate your comments. I'll take them all into consideration. I know what Clint will say......as follows:

"Don't buy another copy of what you already have. The bass won't be that much better, if at all. Just saying..."

LOL! And, it might be a fair comment......as there are likely other discs I don't have, to spend my money on...

Appreciate your comments. I'll take them all into consideration. I know what Clint will say......as follows:

"Don't buy another copy of what you already have. The bass won't be that much better, if at all. Just saying..."

LOL! And, it might be a fair comment......as there are likely other discs I don't have, to spend my money on...

Geeze...I can't leave you by yourself for a minute without you getting yourself in trouble and spending your money in the wrong places:cool:...I had both the Blu Ray and I still have the SACD...the blu sounds A LITTLE different...not very much and you notice I used the word DIFFERENT...not better...it's pretty subjective...it's not one of these cases like the first Bob Marley blu ray(which was bad)compared to the second one when you say wow that's so much better...the nicer thing about the blu ray is it's on 1 disc which makes it easy to go to any song in a hurry without putting in one of the 2 SACD discs...

You have more pressing titles to purchase...there I said it....

Geeze...I can't leave you by yourself for a minute without you getting yourself in trouble and spending your money in the wrong places:cool:...I had both the Blu Ray and I still have the SACD...the blu sounds A LITTLE different...not very much and you notice I used the word DIFFERENT...not better...it's pretty subjective...it's not one of these cases like the first Bob Marley blu ray(which was bad)compared to the second one when you say wow that's so much better...the nicer thing about the blu ray is it's on 1 disc which makes it easy to go to any song in a hurry without putting in one of the 2 SACD discs...

You have more pressing titles to purchase...there I said it....

LMFAO! Awesome....I knew it. Keep me honest my good man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back