Alphaville "Forever Young" BD-A w/ Atmos (Warner) 7/5/2024

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a great album, but I agree that the atmos mix is not as adventurous as it should be (I've listened to the Tidal version).
If you haven't heard this album, don't stop at the obvious hits (Big in Japan and Forever Young). Listen to Sounds like a melody and To Germany with love. Amazing stuff.

Couldn't find any mention so far... Re-listening to the mix right now, it sounds pretty lazy, almost like an upmix... and this excerpt off the promo doesn't really help:
I confirm, after a quick listen and analysis from Tidal, that it looks like an upmix.

According to Tidal, Wolfgang Loos is, at the same time, Producer, Engineer, Mixing Engineer, Recording Engineer.

I confirm, after a quick listen and analysis from Tidal, that it looks like an upmix.

According to Tidal, Wolfgang Loos is, at the same time, Producer, Engineer, Mixing Engineer, Recording Engineer.
It’s not an upmix, I’m quite confident. If you listen to the whole album you’ll hear things that an upmix cannot achieve. I’m not saying it is amazing, but not an upmix. Fidelity is pretty good, dynamics are good. It’s a decent mix with some nice moments.

It’s not an upmix, I’m quite confident. If you listen to the whole album you’ll hear things that an upmix cannot achieve. I’m not saying it is amazing, but not an upmix. Fidelity is pretty good, dynamics are good. It’s a decent mix with some nice moments.
Thanks for the clarification. Maybe we are biasing ourselves too much (at least I am) towards the style of immersive mix, forgetting about the sound quality, fidelity, dynamics, etc.

Now a lot of music is released in Dolby Atmos and more things like this are to be expected, in the same way that before we did not judge a release by the style (bored or not) of the stereo mix.

I admit that I'm biased about that, but I'm still impressed when the discrete sounds come from all places of my room.

In my favour, I would say that this QQ forum is more about mch and immersive mixes than a general music forum.

I agree with @Albert Dagger Dagger that the fidelity & dynamics of the streaming mix (Apple in my case) are quite good.
Would like a bit more isolation in the overheads consistently throughout the album. My impression is that the discreteness gets better on the later tracks.

Here is hoping for a new mix?????

I think Wolfgang Loos is the person who mixed the original album and has a producer credit.

Received an email from SDE this morning and got so excited, I placed an order quickly thinking it was an SDE Exclusive release, only afterwards, I saw it wasn’t. 🤪

One of the most played albums in my collection for years. I purchase their follow-up album and, at the time, wasn’t too impressed. So, gave up on them.

Back