Amazon Music - Dolby Atmos music not just for Echo Studio!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for this--and welcome to QQ! This news was reported elsewhere a week or so ago (in the Atmos streaming thread, I think, among other places?), but I'll bet a lot of people missed it, so it's good to have a named thread.

I had Amazon Fire Stick always happy with it, plus it was great that it just tied into my Amazon account so money wise it was easier.
However as I couldn't get Atmos with the stick I had to jump ship and go to Apple4K, so money wise I have to accounts rather than one.
With this news I will stand on the side line and see how the bugs shake out with the FireStick and possibly go back?

I just started the month trial Amazon Music Unlimited.

Yes, It works from the Fire TV Stick to the AVR. I can play Dolby Atmos on the AVR, and the volume level is like Tidal. lower and be careful when switching to Stereo.

They have also 360RA, but they are played in stereo in my Denon. I can't find any specific confirmation about MPEG-H 3D support for the Denon 8500.

The Fire TV App interface is a little nicer than Tidal, and you get also the songs lyrics (karaoke style) when available.

Still have to browse to discover how big is The Amazon Atmos catalogue. Many songs... that I dont like. Will see if it is worth to keep the subscription or cancel after the month trial. Considering I have already Tidal.

Last edited:
Still has to browse to discover how big is The Amazon Atmos catalogue. Many songs... that I dont like. Will see if it is worth to keep the subscription or cancel after the month trial. Considering I have already Tidal.
Yes, would be good to know any Atmos album and/or track mixes available on Amazon that are not on Tidal.

Wonder if it will work with the NVidia 4K Shield Pro then…will have to try later today.
Don't think so. This is Amazon doing the Apple-like thing supporting only their own hardware, at least for now.

It will work with a phone and an Atmos receiver (and Sheild).
Interesting thanks, good to know! Now I won't have to steal my wife's Firestick to try this out.

I just started the month trial Amazon Music Unlimited.

Yes, It works from the Fire TV Stick to the AVR. I can play Dolby Atmos on the AVR, and the volume level is like Tidal. lower and be careful when switching to Stereo.

They have also 360RA, but they are played in stereo in my Denon. I can't find any specific confirmation about MPEG-H 3D support for the Denon 8500.

The Fire TV App interface is a little nicer than Tidal, and you get also the songs lyrics (karaoke style) when available.

Still have to browse to discover how big is The Amazon Atmos catalogue. Many songs... that I dont like. Will see if it is worth to keep the subscription or cancel after the month trial. Considering I have already Tidal.
You're right about the volume level for Atmos materials. Apparently something to do with the increase in dynamic range. The only times it's caught me out is certain albums only have a few Atmos tracks, so when going from the Atmos to HD track if you're not ready on the volume, you're getting blasted!

I started out with Tidal too. First with the LG TV app, which was hopelessly unstable. I had it on the stick, but also not a good experience.
Gave up on the Atmos bit and went to Amazon for the high-bitrate approach instead. Worked beautifully on the Fire stick, but you'd expect it to.
The bonus was when Atmos was enabled, now I have everything I ever wanted on one system.

I had Amazon Fire Stick always happy with it, plus it was great that it just tied into my Amazon account so money wise it was easier.
However as I couldn't get Atmos with the stick I had to jump ship and go to Apple4K, so money wise I have to accounts rather than one.
With this news I will stand on the side line and see how the bugs shake out with the FireStick and possibly go back?
me too. I now have ROKU Ultra and Fire Cube (new) - not playing atmos into my Sony AVR from my extensive Amazon playlists. 400+ atmos/360 tracks. I also have apple tv 4k (new) playing Atmos into Sony AVR but I find, on several attempts to adopt it over the years, Apple atmos strategy obtuse. Amazon is very easy. I have gotten both ROKU and Fire tech team escalations to hope to know something next week.

me too. I now have ROKU Ultra and Fire Cube (new) - not playing atmos into my Sony AVR from my extensive Amazon playlists. 400+ atmos/360 tracks. I also have apple tv 4k (new) playing Atmos into Sony AVR but I find, on several attempts to adopt it over the years, Apple atmos strategy obtuse. Amazon is very easy. I have gotten both ROKU and Fire tech team escalations to hope to know something next week.
Did you enable Atmos in the settings? Click on the User icon in the upper right to bring up the settings menu.

Still waiting for them to add this feature to the Android TV Amazon Music app. I like playing Amazon Music on my Google TV where I can use the remote and big screen. Seems reasonable they could port the Fire TV app to Android TV without much effort. Hopefully someday soon.

Atmos is working on my Fire tablet. I can plug that into a USB DAC connected to my system. System says its getting Dolby and rear speakers play but not sure if its the correct surround mix. Atmos mix on the tablet might be some kind of stereo mix-down intended for headphones. Same for the phone. With phone cast to system or connected to USB, it sounds spacious, but could be a some kind of matrixed headphone mixdown.

I need to find an Atmos song with discrete rears to be certain. Does someone know of a good Amazon Music Atmos or 360 song which has a discrete rear mix to test it out?

Fire Cube now playing Dolby ATMOS! Not 360. See my other reply for details.

Thanks for this--and welcome to QQ! This news was reported elsewhere a week or so ago (in the Atmos streaming thread, I think, among other places?), but I'll bet a lot of people missed it, so it's good to have a named thread.
I didn’t know this until a week or so ago when my daughter was playing some music on our “big” system and and realized some of the songs were playing in surround.

I already subscribe to Amazon Prime Unlimited because my wife and kid use it a lot but I almost never do. I’m hoping their catalog is big enough that I can drop my Tidal subscription. I plan on checking it out in more detail this weekend.

Back