Andy Jackson's "73 Days At Sea" in 5.1 released 29 January 2016

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know, that's Esoteric's end of things. It's only available as the 2 disc set this time, that sold more than the single one last time, and it was only £1 more.

No quad mix this time Andy?

I'm nothing if not inconsistent! I've gone 5.1 this time. My own stuff is a good place to experiment & go out on limbs a bit more. I'd got into using the centre a bit more to create 'internal diagonals' (between centre & one rear) on Endless River & more so Rattle that lock. I've seen Steven W talking about liking the way Elliot used the centre for vocals, so I've experimented with that this time. Sometimes the vocal is centre, sometimes L&R depending on what worked for me on a case by case basis, same with some other lead instruments (guitar solos & so on). The LFE, used it in the way I used on Div Bell, so it only has sub-harmonic generator stuff in it (essentially existing stuff an octave down), just here & there for emphasis, over & above what is on the stereo mix, a bit 'filmic'

Good idea Clint (y), so from the Esoteric/Cherry Red web site.

Http://shop.cherryred.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=5267

View attachment 23209

• THE SUPERB NEW STUDIO ALBUM BY GRAMMY AWARD WINNING PINK FLOYD ENGINEER / CO-PRODUCER ANDY JACKSON

• FEATURING GUEST APPEARANCES BY DAVID JACKSON (ex-Van Der Graaf Generator) & ANNE MARIE HELDER (Panic Room)

• INCLUDES A BONUS DVD WITH 5.1 SURROUND SOUND MIX & STEREO MIX AT 96 kHz / 24-BIT

Esoteric Antenna, a label of the Cherry Red Records Group, is pleased to announce the release of the wonderful new studio album by Grammy Award winning engineer and Pink Floyd co-producer ANDY JACKSON – 73 Days at Sea.*

This eagerly awaited follow up to his acclaimed debut album Signal to Noise (2014) is a fine collection of songs linked by a theme. Andy explains; "I spent some time travelling back and forth to the sea, the edge of the world, whilst working on projects for others. I noticed in myself a sense of nostalgia each time I went there, as if revisiting a childhood home. This was totally erroneous, I have never lived near the sea and have scarcely been to this particular place before. Still the ‘false nostalgia’ persisted. I resolved that I would write a suite of songs concerning the sea. The sea seems to occupy a pivotal place in our subconscious, as evidenced by its endless references in myth & legend. Eventually it became clear that the entire album was to be the ‘sea suite’, albeit that direct mention was sometimes fleeting”.*

As one would expect of a musician, engineer and producer of the pedigree of Andy Jackson, the finished album is nothing short of impressive, both sonically and musically. The record is arguably dominated by 17 minute epic "Drownings”, which features stunning saxophone contributions from former Van Der Graaf Generator member David Jackson and a guest vocal by Anne-Marie Helder of the band Panic Room. The release also features a DVD featuring a stunning 5.1 Surround Sound Mix and a 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo mix.

73 Days at Sea is surely one of the most original and impressive musical statements of 2016.

NB: This product is released 29th January 2016 and will not be dispatched until this date.

Track Listing:

DISC ONE

73 DAYS AT SEA

1. LIKE YOU

2. SHIPS OF DREAMS

3. TYPE 2 ERROR

4. BALLOONING

5. TYPE 1 ERROR

6. LIGHTHOUSE

7. LEGENDS OF MYSTERIOUS APES

8. THE GYRE

9. DROWNINGS

10. BLACK SAILED UNFAMILIAR

DISC TWO

73 DAYS AT SEA

5.1 Surround Sound Mix*

and 96 kHz / 24-bit stereo mix

Burning Shed is a good choice, keep Tim in business, I have him to thank for being signed to Esoteric, he introduced us

It will have 10 tracks, including a 17 minute one called Drownings which features David Jackson and Anne Marie Helder :)

This I find most exciting! Anne Marie is a very fine vocalist/song writer. Her work with Panic Room and her "Parade" project with Chris Johnson are exceptional!

An easy sale for me - "Signal to Noise" was so good, and tossing in a bit of tasty David Jackson work is more icing on the cake.

David Jackson, a musical hero of mine. If I couldn't get David I wasn't going to use another sax player. I didn't want sax, I wanted David Jackson!

I'm nothing if not inconsistent! I've gone 5.1 this time. My own stuff is a good place to experiment & go out on limbs a bit more. I'd got into using the centre a bit more to create 'internal diagonals' (between centre & one rear) on Endless River & more so Rattle that lock. I've seen Steven W talking about liking the way Elliot used the centre for vocals, so I've experimented with that this time. Sometimes the vocal is centre, sometimes L&R depending on what worked for me on a case by case basis, same with some other lead instruments (guitar solos & so on). The LFE, used it in the way I used on Div Bell, so it only has sub-harmonic generator stuff in it (essentially existing stuff an octave down), just here & there for emphasis, over & above what is on the stereo mix, a bit 'filmic'

Andy, I enjoyed seeing your comments that you are taking a few more chances in 5.1 vs 4.0. Your 4.0 mixes are very well done but I do prefer 5.1's well done over 4.0 well done if all things being equal.
I really enjoyed your first solo in surround so this is a no brainer to order.
Will you get Neil Wilkes to author again so that we get a DVDA mix, sure hope this has a DVDA layer again?

It was Ray Shulman this time. Same audio formats as before. DTS 96/24 5.1 Surround, Dolby AC3 5.1 Surround, 96/24 Stereo LPCM. Ray tells me it's a DVDv, I'd put DVDa on the artwork but he pulled me up about this. Lovely job he's done too.

Back