Another one for Tape Heads....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil wilkes

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
What is the better type of tape to buy?
I just took a quick look at ProTape, and found out there are several different types available.
Quantegy I know, but do not know the difference between the different numbers - let me give examples:
The numbers available are
406, 407, 456, 457, 478, and also EMTEC 900 & 911.
I know that the reel size is measured in feet, and depends on speed.
So, presumably a 2500' reel at 15ips will give me 33 minutes or so. Is that correct?
And if so then presumably at 7.5 it will give me just over an hour.

But the question really is, what type of the above is best - and why?

Any answers gratefully accepted, as I wish to buy some reels to send for dubbing, so I can do some transfers of my own from my new TEAC.
No rush though - I have 5 projects to do already, so whatever, whenever.

neil wilkes said:
What is the better type of tape to buy?
I just took a quick look at ProTape, and found out there are several different types available.
Quantegy I know, but do not know the difference between the different numbers - let me give examples:
The numbers available are
406, 407, 456, 457, 478, and also EMTEC 900 & 911.
I know that the reel size is measured in feet, and depends on speed.
So, presumably a 2500' reel at 15ips will give me 33 minutes or so. Is that correct?
And if so then presumably at 7.5 it will give me just over an hour.

But the question really is, what type of the above is best - and why?

Any answers gratefully accepted, as I wish to buy some reels to send for dubbing, so I can do some transfers of my own from my new TEAC.
No rush though - I have 5 projects to do already, so whatever, whenever.

Neil,
Quantegy 406 and 456 are the same formulation, as are 407 and 457. They differ in the thickness of the backing, 406/407 are 1200 feet, 456/457 are 1800 feet, 1200 feet gives 32 minutes at 7.5ips, 1800 gives 48 minutes 2500 feet on a 10.5 spool gives 33 minutes or so. I have not heard of a 478, but 499 used to be a popular professional tape. I personnaly use Quantegy 457 on my tascam 34B, it gives reasonable playing time with not much print through, and the 3340 could be aligned for that.
Be careful about very high output tapes like the 499, the Teac may not be able to provide sufficient bias for it.
If on the other hand you simply want to replay tapes already recorded, then it does not matter, get the best you can and let the dubbing house worry about set up. They should align their own machines to your tape for the best transfer. The Emtec's (basf) have a good reputation, but I have not used them.

Malcolm

Malcolm.
Thanks for the pointers.
I need to play back existing tapes, as well as give myself the option to use the machine myself.
In the case of the TEAC it is unlikely I would be recording to it, as any tape stuff to be recorded is generally a stereo tape, and I have a Revox B77 HS for those duties - again, just acquired.

I guess I need to know now what you mean by aligning to types of tape.
I have an owners manual on the way, so will get reading as soon as I get it arrive.

neil wilkes said:
Malcolm.
Thanks for the pointers.
I need to play back existing tapes, as well as give myself the option to use the machine myself.
In the case of the TEAC it is unlikely I would be recording to it, as any tape stuff to be recorded is generally a stereo tape, and I have a Revox B77 HS for those duties - again, just acquired.

I guess I need to know now what you mean by aligning to types of tape.
I have an owners manual on the way, so will get reading as soon as I get it arrive.

Neil,
All tape drives require the record chain to be set up for a specific type of tape. Every tape formulation requires a different amount of "bias" to allow distortion free recording. A studio normally calibrates their recorders prior to a session for the particular tape in use, this gives the best recording performance. None of this applies to replay, that is simply a function of alignment.
For more info see here (Worth reading)

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/audio/tapecon.html#c1

Malcolm

I too own a TEAC A-3440 as well as a TASCAM 80-8. I've always used Ampex 456 1/2" and 1/4" tapes with great results. Ampex was bought by Quantegy several years ago, and I assume the tape formulations are the same whether Ampex 456 or Quantegy 456.

I've never heard the others.

Malcolm.
Thanks for the link. Thhat will allow me to set up not only the TEAC but the Revox Stereo machine too.
I want to impulse that puppy as well as the occasional master.

Zabble.
I remember 456 tape from my early days.
The local store still has a lot of it, so that is what I will get, in 2500 foot lengths.

My thanks.

Back