Dual Disc any Good DD Duals ??????????????

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wondering about non DVD-A dual discs with surround tracks.
are they any good ones

Before opening such a thread, yes, please browse the forum, as Cai showed you.

And try to write normaly, what's the point of putting more than 10 question marks in your thread subject ?

I just can't get why so much people can't do a search before posting. That's insulting towards all the people who have posted before.

So yes, there are some good mixes on many DualDiscs that don't have a DVD-A side. Now, look at the polls ! (y)

Ahh the refreshing relaxed view from paris.
Whats the point of ?????????? Well it's that reading DualDisc reviews has gotten me down. I'm seeing so many bad reviews of Dolby Digital surround DualDisc, that I lost faith.
Sorry this post Insulted so many.
Many of my post are quickly poorly composed and spelling is a mess, SORRY it's just that I love surround music.
The sun has set

solaris said:
Whats the point of ?????????? Well it's that reading DualDisc reviews has gotten me down. I'm seeing so many bad reviews of Dolby Digital surround DualDisc, that I lost faith.
Many of my post are quickly poorly composed and spelling is a mess, SORRY it's just that I love surround music.
The sun has set
Didn't insult me.

YmSeb said:
Before opening such a thread, yes, please browse the forum, as Cai showed you.

And try to write normaly, what's the point of putting more than 10 question marks in your thread subject ?

I just can't get why so much people can't do a search before posting. That's insulting towards all the people who have posted before.

So yes, there are some good mixes on many DualDiscs that don't have a DVD-A side. Now, look at the polls ! (y)
Whoa, what's up with the knee-jerk? No need to jump down Solaris' throat! He's a good member and has contributed much to QQ.

Please take a chill-pill!

:eek:

solaris said:
The sun has set

Solaris, I hear you loud & Clear about the Dolby Digital mixes.
My main gripe here is that the albums are not mixed in lossy form, so why insult us by throwing out 11/12 of the source audio?
DualDisc should have a DVD-A/V layer, not a DVD-V one. There is plenty of room on the disc to do this with High Res MLP, DD & DTS versions for most albums. After all - it is supposed to be about the music, surely?
I for one would much rather have stills than pointless video of yet another band onstage, or another set of who knows what gyrating pointlessly using up bitrate that would be better served with high quality audio.

Trouble is, given a choice between DD or stereo, I would have to go with DD for the Surround.
Such a shame that it is all being so diluted though.

solaris said:
Hey Have there been any good mixes on these dd duals

:confused:

Solaris,

This is a good question. These seem to be being released haphazardly, with no fanfare or plan. Some with stereo, some surround, some HiRez stereo, some HiRez surround.

It's very difficult to even know what's out there.

As an aside, sure it's swell to "remind" a newby to use the SEARCH feature, but there is no need to blast anyone about it, new or old time member.

Everyone here should be courteous to each other, or what's the point?

I agree, damn good question. I would like to know if anyone has a lot of these and whether any of them are any good. The only ones I have bought have DVD-A on the DVD side. I am reticent to buy any of the others that are Dolby.

Guy Robinson said:
I agree, damn good question. I would like to know if anyone has a lot of these and whether any of them are any good. The only ones I have bought have DVD-A on the DVD side. I am reticent to buy any of the others that are Dolby.

I bought the new Nine Inch Nails Dual Disc version of With Teeth and though only being 48 Khz /24 bits on the Advanced Resolution side, I still really like how it sounds in multichannel versus the regular cd side. I have yet to try it in stereo which is supposed to be 96 Khz/ 24 bits. I did find an easter egg or maybe it was something my new Yahama dvd-a/ SACD player does but somehow I isolated the center channel mix where I was only hearing Trent Reznor's vocals coming out of the center speaker. On the first song, the center was silent till he starts sings then as when the accompaning instruments are supposed to be playing through the other speakers there is silence. You just get his vocals for most of the songs. On Sunspots, it also played the synthesizer he uses on the song towards the end but only through the center channel since I suppose he was the person using it. It sounded great and was just a tiny little extra that makes this disc really nice. Granted I hate the size of the disc which I actually returned to Best Buy at first because it was scratching in my car stereo. I now only use the replacement as a DVD-A only disc and made a copy of the cd side using iTunes. I would recommend this one. I wish they didn't cheap out on the multichannel mix but Trent personally mixed this one and it doesn't disappoint.
Michael

I just found this website. I don't know if it has been put on here before but it is a nice spreadsheet type page with the albums, artists, distributors, frequencies (Khz/bits) and if they are DVD-A, DualDisc, or there is a SACD version as well. Pretty comprehensive. I take it anything DualDisc by Sony sucks.
Michael

The Link

From my own limited experience, Springsteen (yuck) and Ben Folds (ok, not great.). I understand some of our own Thom C's mixes on lossy DD's are very good.

I found Duran Duran's "Astronaut" to be a good MC mix with the music itself being quite enjoyable. Like others, I bemoan the fact that we just get Dolby Digital...

Back