Anybody want to buy me a stereo 8-track off eBay?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
After waiting an eternity, a "second-run" copy of The Guess Who's "American Woman" stereo 8-track has popped up for sale on eBay. The catch? They won't ship to Canada and I still can't cross the border to to gain access to my P.O. box in Wa. State.

I have been trying to collect ALL the Guess Who stereo tapes in sealed form. This version of this tape is quite rare and only the second one I've ever seen. Sealed or not, I'd like it for the collection.

Anybody willing to buy this tape for me, and then forward it to me in Canuckistan? I would happily reimburse you for any time, postage, fuel costs, etc. and of course, the costs of the tape itself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275643966417

Last edited:
After waiting an eternity, a "second-run" copy of The Guess Who's "American Woman" stereo 8-track has popped up for sale on eBay. The catch? They won't ship to Canada and I still can't cross the border to to gain access to my P.O. box in Wa. State.

I have been trying to collect ALL the Guess Who stereo tapes in sealed form. This version of this tape is quite rare and only the second one I've ever seen. Sealed or not, I'd like it for the collection.

Anybody willing to buy this tape for me, and then forward it to me in Canuckistan? I would happily reimburse you for any time, postage, fuel costs, etc. and of course, the costs of the tape itself.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275643966417
That always irritates me when US sellers won't ship to Canada. It is not difficult to fill out a customs declaration. If eBay's Global Shipping is used it is no extra hassle for the seller at all. I've seen a few cases where the seller says US shipping only but Global Shipping is there for international shipments!

That always irritates me when US sellers won't ship to Canada. It is not difficult to fill out a customs declaration. If eBay's Global Shipping is used it is no extra hassle for the seller at all. I've seen a few cases where the seller says US shipping only but Global Shipping is there for international shipments!
That’s good to know. I take it you just print the label at home and ship it? Or is there anything else one must do.

Something has certainly changed since NAFTA got the axe. Not only does it seem like I'm paying tax on every single item that comes up from the US, but many US sellers that I have purchased from before don't want the "hassle" of shipping here anymore. I know eBay has changed their rules some in regards to international shipping, but I've also had other sellers eschew that route shipping it outside the eBay system (and boy howdy is it QUICKER!). Not everything must be routed through Kentucky & Toronto then.

Used to be all my stuff would get routed through Federal Way, WA and then up to Vancouver. Stuff from California took maybe 5 days? Now, with everything being routed through Kentucky and then Toronto.... it takes anywhere from 3-5 WEEKS to receive anything now. I can't wait until all this "Worst disease known to man" BS is over and I can cross the border again and use my P.O. box.

Got the same issue on Discogs, the majority of US vendors won't ship to the UK since we got the new tax rules, to trade vendors must register with the tax authorities. I have a feeling its a world wide agreement between most countries

It irritates me that, for years and years and years, we didn't have to pay sales tax on mail order items here in the US but now do.

Doug

That started a LONG time ago. Early 2000's I think? But it did take a few years for other states to catch on. I know Washington State was one of the few early adopters since my P.O. box was in the state, and I'd purchase items from elsewhere in Washington; and I'd wind up having to pay the sales tax. But you're right.... it does seem like nothing at first but you give them an inch....

Not being experienced at shipping outside the USA - but doesn't a seller have to go to the post office to complete the International Shipping form? I don't have a post office close enough to do this if I wanted to, and that could be the reason why many sellers won't do international shipments. Assuming there is a way to electronically complete the international form, can a seller place an item for international shipment in their mailbox for pickup by the postal person?

Not being experienced at shipping outside the USA - but doesn't a seller have to go to the post office to complete the International Shipping form?
No; you can fill out the customs form online, print your own shipping label, and even have your mail carrier pick up your package for you. You will generally need a way to weigh the package, and a bathroom scale may not be accurate or precise enough for that.

Not being experienced at shipping outside the USA - but doesn't a seller have to go to the post office to complete the International Shipping form? I don't have a post office close enough to do this if I wanted to, and that could be the reason why many sellers won't do international shipments. Assuming there is a way to electronically complete the international form, can a seller place an item for international shipment in their mailbox for pickup by the postal person?
Yes but don't you have to drop the package off at the post office anyway? Does your mailman actually stop to pick up packages? I haven't shipped anything in awhile but I think that (here in Canada) they now want the declaration done on line. I'm old school and would rather just write the contents and value on the sticky declaration form! I just don't see how it is any more difficult to ship internationally than domestically!

Got the same issue on Discogs, the majority of US vendors won't ship to the UK since we got the new tax rules, to trade vendors must register with the tax authorities. I have a feeling its a world wide agreement between most countries
Realy, that is so sad! Most sellers on Discogs are just regular people like us not actual retailers. It should not be up to us to collect and remit foreign taxes, or any taxes for that matter. If taxes are required to be collected it should be done by local authorities in the UK when the package arrives. Or else Discogs should collect and remit the tax, they are the business making their commission off our sales!

I haven't been selling on Discogs since they want shipping policies set beforehand. Impossible as there are too many variables. Many seller have to set rates too high so as not to lose money. Some actually undercharge, not a problem if you are selling high priced items where you can absorb some of that cost.

Yes but don't you have to drop the package off at the post office anyway? Does your mailman actually stop to pick up packages? I haven't shipped anything in awhile but I think that (here in Canada) they now want the declaration done on line. I'm old school and would rather just write the contents and value on the sticky declaration form! I just don't see how it is any more difficult to ship internationally than domestically!
My carrier actually picks up at the box, assuming the item will fit. As per the other comments, apparently it is easy peasy to do the electronic label. So, yeah, I agree, sellers should reconsider shipping abroad. I know nothing about collecting taxes, and would assume that Discogs, eBay, Amazon, etc would handle that - and if they don't, that clearly represents a deterrent.

Realy, that is so sad! Most sellers on Discogs are just regular people like us not actual retailers. It should not be up to us to collect and remit foreign taxes, or any taxes for that matter. If taxes are required to be collected it should be done by local authorities in the UK when the package arrives. Or else Discogs should collect and remit the tax, they are the business making their commission off our sales!

I haven't been selling on Discogs since they want shipping policies set beforehand. Impossible as there are too many variables. Many seller have to set rates too high so as not to lose money. Some actually undercharge, not a problem if you are selling high priced items where you can absorb some of that cost.
The problem in the UK is that if no tax is pre-paid, we get stung for an £8-£12 tax gathering fee by the courier (which is often way more than the tax!), as they have to collect the tax for the government. I'm OK with paying the tax, its the fee that P****s me off, so we're charged to pay the tax, crazy!

I’ve used ebay’s international shipping and had zero issues with it. Not sure why any US sellers would balk at it, but as always, YMMV.

Yes but don't you have to drop the package off at the post office anyway? Does your mailman actually stop to pick up packages?
If you’re shipping with USPS Priority Mail, which is how I usually ship, you can arrange for no-extra-charge pickup by the letter carrier. They ask questions like where the package will be, but they’ll even ring your doorbell.

Last edited:
Back