Apple Joining the Atmos streaming game!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Beatles' Let it Be (2021 mix) just popped up in my Spatial Music feed. It looks like the whole album will be mixed in Atmos, but only the title track is available now. Full release will most likely be timed with the Peter Jackson "Get Back" documentary coming up in November.

The Beatles' Let it Be (2021 mix) just popped up in my Spatial Music feed. It looks like the whole album will be mixed in Atmos, but only the title track is available now. Full release will most likely be timed with the Peter Jackson "Get Back" documentary coming up in November.
Nope! You get everything when the physical release will be in October.

Thanks! Didn’t know about the physical release. After seeing the Atmos version will only be available in the super-sized most expensive set, I may just stick with the streaming version, which is a first.
I considered passing on the physical release, relying on Apple Music instead.

The plan: Pre-ordered from DeepDiscount (US) for $110 (code DEEP10 thanks to QQ’er LennonCobain). I’ll keep it sealed until I hear sound quality reports from the BluRay Atmos vs. Apple Music. Then it‘s decision time: sell it, or open it.

Thanks! Didn’t know about the physical release. After seeing the Atmos version will only be available in the super-sized most expensive set, I may just stick with the streaming version, which is a first.

Yup, the $120 I don't spend on that set will pay for Apple Music for a year. It is kind of sad but I am sick and tired of paying $100+ for box sets just to get the DVD/blu-ray with the surround mix and I suspect those days may be over!

Last edited:
Yup, the $120 I don't spend on that set will pay for Apple Music for a year. It is kind of sad but I am sick and tired of paying $100+ for box sets just to get the DVD/blu-ray with the surround mix and I suspect those days may be over!
This was and is my dilemma. Buy the expensive box set for the surround mix or just go with the Apple stream?
I have pre-ordered it, it then gives me time to decide which side of the fence I will be on.
It is a shame but these corporations need to change tact and give the majority of us surroundy's, what we want in an affordable release.
Time will tell I guess.

I’m full in the Apple system, but unfortunately I don’t get the Atmos from them. I have an AppleTV HD and don’t really want to upgrade. It works fine for me for pretty much everything I use it for. But no Atmos.

I also have an M1 Mac mini which I use stream ripped surround through the Music App. Other than having to store the tracks as .mov or m4v instead of m4a. It works great. Just no hapless layback with formats. but no Atmos.

since my receiver is old, and the Mac knows it. It shows up in the audio choice by model number. The Music app won’t send the Apple Music streams in surrounfd to the receiver. Even though I bought the Atmos of Gigaton, it’s only stereo for me.

its freaking frustrating.

Nope.

1080P projector.

When the bulb in the projector dies, I’ll cross that bridge. I am thinking of upgrading to an Atmos receiver. My current receiver is a 15 yo, Pioneer that works great and to me sounds great.
I mean until about 3 years ago, my Yamaha was from 2007. So I get it. I actually think I had a 4k TV before I had an Atmos receiver. But personally I think the upgrade to a 4K TV is worth it, as is the 4K Apple TV. When you do make the leap to an Atmos receiver, I highly recommend the 4k AppleTV. It's worth it for the Atmos music alone, to say nothing of all the movies and TV content in 4K, Dolby Vision and Atmos.

What are the advantages of buying the newer model of Apple 4k TV over the older one? I would use it probably solely for streaming music. I'm also considering moving it between my Atmos and non-Atmos systems.

For the purposes you plan to use it, I'd say you can go with the previous 4K model. That's the one I own and I also use it exclusively for streaming Apple Music and works without an issue.

What are the advantages of buying the newer model of Apple 4k TV over the older one? I would use it probably solely for streaming music. I'm also considering moving it between my Atmos and non-Atmos systems.
If you're talking about the 1st gen Apple 4k TV against the latest 2021 2nd gen, very little I can see.
I think the biggest upgrade is probably the remote an a few other tech improvements.
I got my 1st gen a few weeks ago off ebay new for $99. Outside of the quirky remote it works perfect for me, getting all the Atmos streams, etc.
I wouldn't pay over twice as much for the 2021 model.

I hooked up my new Apple TV 4k to my Atmos receiver. I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get any music to play anything other than stereo. I've looked at the audio settings, and nothing jumps out at me, other than the default being TV speakers, but I assumed that just meant anything other than headphones. It won't let me change that setting anyway. Did anyone else experience this when they first started?

Back