Apple Music Classical app coming end of March

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No music but news:
https://www.macrumors.com/2023/03/09/apple-music-classical-available-for-pre-order/So it looks like it will launch at the end of this month, presumably alongside 16.4. Hopefully it includes some overhauls for the main app.

Should be free with your existing Apple Music subscription
"Unlike the existing ‌Apple Music‌ app, ‌Apple Music‌ Classical allows users to search by composer, work, conductor, catalog number, and more."

Long overdue, but nice. Now if they would just expand their metadata to include producers, engineers (including surround mixers), sidemen, etc., they could add similar search features for pop, jazz, and other genres.

I haven't seen any mention anywhere on whether there will be an Apple Music Classical app for Apple TV. Hard to imagine there wouldn't be one, but so far, only an iPhone app has been announced, as far as I can tell.

My hope is that they eventually expand the offering to include an AppleTV app, as that would be the only way I would really ever listen to this Apple Music Classical app.

I would say Amen to pretty much everything he preaches, including his assessment of how the big labels are Atmosizing their catalog: "In my headphones, Spatial Audio is notable for its lack of spatial definition: the orchestra [in a live recording of Bruckner's Sixth with Bernard Haitink conducting the Concertgebouw] comes across as diffuse and taffy-like." Not just your headphones, Alex. "Diffuse and taffy-like" in 5.1.4, too. And I feel like he's speaking for many of us who "grudgingly [admit] the merits of archival streams while remaining wary of the governing ethos."

I would say Amen to pretty much everything he preaches, including his assessment of how the big labels are Atmosizing their catalog: "In my headphones, Spatial Audio is notable for its lack of spatial definition: the orchestra [in a live recording of Bruckner's Sixth with Bernard Haitink conducting the Concertgebouw] comes across as diffuse and taffy-like." Not just your headphones, Alex. "Diffuse and taffy-like" in 5.1.4, too. And I feel like he's speaking for many of us who "grudgingly [admit] the merits of archival streams while remaining wary of the governing ethos."

A frustrating thing for me (at least with Apple) is that it often feels like they're so close to getting a number of things right in this space... both classical specifically and music in general, but fall short.

I’m try to be grateful for what we have, generally speaking, but articles like this with comparisons to other services with fewer resources remind me that with what feels like just a few tweaks on Apple’s part, it could be so much more. PDF booklets would be a great start, not to mention the Atmos that the author and you point out.

Back