Are there any DVD-Audio aftermarket players any more?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quadsearcher

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Google doesn't seem to get it, and lots of online retailers include the phrase DVD Audio when it is not correct. Does anyone know of aftermarket players I could fit in a '99 Camry? If not new, models that sold well and might be seen used? Watermark detection is OK, not my first choice but I doubt any mobile units were made without it.

If my factory radio had line inputs, I would risk it with an inverter and an Oppo on the back seat (on a very nice pillow) or passenger seat, as I commute. Anyone try this?

Have you tried Crutchfield? You can plug in all the details of your car make, trim, etc and filter the DVD receiver players that include DVD - Audio as a playable format. Alpine makes a unit that fits my '06 Avalon but I'm not sure about your Camry. Also the Sony MEX DV 2200 is an excellent player that plays SACD/DTS/Dolby (not DVDA) but also worth checking out. Go here;

http://www.crutchfield.com/c_3/Car-Audio-Video.html - click on the "outfit my car" link - hope this helps

Thanks Elmer, I couldn't find the filter for DVD-Audio, I called and someone told me there was just one, a JVC xxxx740 but they were apparently mistaken, it was not listed in the specs. I called back and got someone who knew what I meant but he said there weren't any anymore.
It is a good shopping filter though.
Now I'm back to my inverter idea, I'll just plop a cheapo home receiver on the floor and an Oppo/pillow combination. Only problem there is switching the speakers from the in-dash (too much work). Plan C: lottery ticket wins Acura. :)
-John

The Pioneer models AVH-P5600DVD, AVH-P5700DVD and AVH-P7800DVD all do DVD-Audio. They are not in Pioneer's current product line, but you can find them new or manufacturer refurbished on ebay and Amazon. There are a couple new/refurbished on ebay now, but they want $1000+! Still, that is half what they were a few years ago. The other models go for a lot less.

I have the 7800 in my vehicle right now and love it. I think I paid $700 for it manufacturer refurbished. I believe the main difference between the 7800 and the others is that it has built in center and surround center amps for 6.1. The others are 5.1 and you have to provide a center amp.
- Ben

The 7800 does DVDA, the 5700 is not specified to do so according to Pioneer's website, the 5600 seems to not be a valid number.
I'll look for a deal on a 7800, at least it's something to go on, thanks.

I was somewhat dyslexic in my model numbers. That should be AVH-P7500DVD, AVH-P7600DVD, and AVH-P7800DVD.

Sorry for the confusion.
- Ben

hey quad,

oppo on the back seat thats funny as h--- you are without a doubt as crazy as me when it comes to audio. those pioneers are great units if you can find one I also have the 7600 that I only used for competition, I have a kenwood xxv-05v that I use for everyday and it is awesome as well, still might be hard to find, my first unit was a panasonic dvp-???? it played dvd-a ,sounded good but not as good as the pioneer or kenwood, problem w that one was crappy cd / radio playback, but way cheaper, I've seen it on e-bay recently for @150, Alpine also made a unit very briefly I don't remember the # but I saw it a lot as well in competition and it faired well. I hear no difference in dvd-a playback between the kenwood and the pioneer, I used pioneer in comp. due to slightly better response w/ cd, which is what they use for comp. good luck I hope you don't have to put that oppo in the back seat but hey, sadly I understand that. kevin

Back