Atmos and TrueHD 7.1 playback on 5.1 systems - Tests, Results, questions, experiences

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope the required DD 5.1 (when a Blu-ray title has a Dolby TrueHD/Atmos soundtrack) is at the highest allowed data rate (the ABC SDE DD 5.1 isn't).
Are you saying if a disc has a TrueHD/Atmos soundtrack, it must also have an entirely separate DD 5.1 soundtrack? That's very odd and entirely unnecessary given the True HD will play perfectly well in 5.1 and sound a lot better too due to being lossless. Do you have a reference for this requirement?

Are you saying if a disc has a TrueHD/Atmos soundtrack, it must also have an entirely separate DD 5.1 soundtrack? That's very odd and entirely unnecessary given the True HD will play perfectly well in 5.1 and sound a lot better too due to being lossless. Do you have a reference for this requirement?
Ah wait, it's got nothing to do with it being Atmos. It's because True HD has no fallback for old amps that can only take audio over coax or optical, they need a DD 5.1 soundtrack to play. DTS HD MA and DTS:X can output the DTS core that is within them, but Dolby True HD has no equivalent.

However, why anyone that can play True HD cares about the bit rate of the DD 5.1 track isn't clear to me. Are you expecting it to sound different in ways other than it being lossy?

It won't play perfectly well on equipment that doesn't support True HD. In most cases the disc player will send signal over an HDMI connection, leaving the decode for the AVR, which might only support DD.

I didn't realize it was a requirement though.

It won't play perfectly well on equipment that doesn't support True HD. In most cases the disc player will send signal over an HDMI connection, leaving the decode for the AVR, which might only support DD.

I got confused by Atmos, which this has nothing to do with.

Dolby True HD is an optional format on Blu Ray, players don't have to support it. But support for Dolby Digital is mandatory, so a disc that has a DD 5.1 and True HD is guaranteed to be able to play on any player.

DTS has the same issue in that only DTS core is mandatory that any Blu Ray player can play. But the big difference is all DTS formats contain a DTS core so they don't need a separate soundtrack to meet the requirments.

AFAIK, the creation of the mandated 5.1 DD track is made using preset downmix parameters and the TrueHD track.
Seems likely, I can't imagine anyone wants to mix it separately doing a load of work for a DD 5.1 soundtrack that almost no-one will ever play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD^^^
Consequently, all Blu-rays that include Dolby TrueHD audio also include a fail-safe track of Dolby Digital (AC-3), a mandatory codec.

Until I did more research, I thought my Blu-ray player was creating the DD 5.1 track from the TrueHD track.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...2023-sde-blu-ray-12.32564/page-21#post-715867
AFAIK, the creation of the mandated 5.1 DD track is made using preset downmix parameters and the TrueHD track.

Kirk Bayne
The DD track on Goats Head Soup was different, if I remember correctly.

My basement system decodes the DD 5.1 and DTS core only, I hope they used the maximum Blu-ray DD 5.1 data rate.

Also, AFAIK, the Atmos metadata in the TrueHD is ignored by the TrueHD -> DD 5.1 downmix.

Kirk Bayne

Seems likely, I can't imagine anyone wants to mix it separately doing a load of work for a DD 5.1 soundtrack that almost no-one will ever play.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_TrueHD^^^
Consequently, all Blu-rays that include Dolby TrueHD audio also include a fail-safe track of Dolby Digital (AC-3), a mandatory codec.

Until I did more research, I thought my Blu-ray player was creating the DD 5.1 track from the TrueHD track.
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...2023-sde-blu-ray-12.32564/page-21#post-715867

Kirk Bayne
So if you play the Atmos track on a 5.1 system - I imagine it is just folded down. I'm no mixing engineer, but the 5.1 mix on most of these albums is a DTS-HD mix - so I presume it is not the same? I am almost certain it is a unique mix. In some cases, like Fish's 13th Star, people have been remarking that the 5.1 mix is even significantly different (in that case specifically, much worse).

I don't know what the channel mapping process is for TrueHD 7.1 to DD 5.1.

A DTS 5.1 mix is a completely separate track from a TrueHD -> DD 5.1 (down)mix.

It's unlikely that the DTS 5.1 mix is the (down)mixed DD 5.1 mix.

AFAIK, the only way to hear the DD 5.1 track on a Blu-ray with a TrueHD/Atmos track is to use the old coaxial output on the Blu-ray player (and a compatible receiver - mine is, in my basement system).

Kirk Bayne

For the John Lennon “Gimme Some Truth” Atmos collection there were some complaints that the mixing of the TrueHD Atmos track was too loud (loudness wars style). In a sort of happy accident, the DD5.1 mix was not affected, so it was separately mixed (or minimally mixed).

Last edited:
Ron, thx!

So just to confirm, I think there is:

1. Original 1973 stereo mix released many different times on LP & CD as various different masters (I think I have the original CD master, the 1994/5 remaster and the 2011 remaster (both in 44.1/16 & 96/24), and now the 2023 "50th anni edition" remastered at 192/24 (for BluRay and streaming) and 44.1/16 (for CD and streaming)) - I further wonder if the 44.1/16 2023 remaster is a "dithered" 192/24 -> 44.1/16 or a "proper" 44.1/16 remaster? ;) ).

2. Original 1973 stereo mix, remastered in 2003 by Guthrie for SACD (both for the PCM AND DSD stereo parts of the disc, whilst also doing the DSD hi-res 5.1 remix and master)

3. Original 1973 stereo mix, remastered in 2011 by Guthrie for the 2011 Immersion set on CD (44.1/16) & BluRay (96/24)

It's confusing when various resources describe a new remaster as a remix as you say, the stereo has never been remixed, but has had umpteen remasters!

How close to getting all that correct was I? ;) :)

Wasn't there a 2016 remaster involving Bernie Grundman too, for the most recent vinyl repress of the whole PF catalog?

AFAIK, the only way to hear the DD 5.1 track on a Blu-ray with a TrueHD/Atmos track is to use the old coaxial output on the Blu-ray player (and a compatible receiver - mine is, in my basement system).
You can almost certainly select the DD 5.1 track using the Audio button on your player's remote, I recall seeing the extra DD 5.1 track there on a couple of discs.

Note if a disc has a DTS HD MA track (5.1 or 7.1) and an Atmos track, it doesn't have to have a DD 5.1 to meet Blu Ray specs. The mandatory tracks every disc must have one of are LPCM, DTS core or DD. So the DTS core in the DTS HD MA is sufficient to meet Blu Ray requirements. Whether Dolby licencing or encoding software allows you to do that is a different matter.

You can almost certainly select the DD 5.1 track using the Audio button on your player's remote, I recall seeing the extra DD 5.1 track there on a couple of discs.
Any disc encoded using lossless Dolby TrueHD with or without Atmos must have a lossy Dolby Digital 'core'. It's a mandatory requirement of the Blu-ray disc specification.

Hopefully the Dolby Digital 'core' will be encoded at the maximum 640Kbps...

Any disc encoded using lossless Dolby TrueHD with or without Atmos must have a lossy Dolby Digital 'core'. It's a mandatory requirement of the Blu-ray disc specification.

Hopefully the Dolby Digital 'core' will be encoded at the maximum 640Kbps...
There is no DD 'core' with Dolby True HD, it's a completely separate soundtrack.

Every Blu-ray disc that has been encoded with Dolby TrueHD (with or without Atmos) has a Dolby Digital core. Look in the .m2ts contained file.
I’ve seen this turn into arguments before, so I’ll throw in my two cents. The terminology for the required DD track is often referred to as a “DD core” but it is technically a separately encoded stream from the TrueHD track that could even be a different mix. The TrueHD and DD tracks are combined (maybe where the term “core” comes from) and need to be demuxed to ascertain the differences. See my John Lennon’s Gimme Some truth example above.

Back