Atmos Full-Range Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the discussion was relating to Atmos (Overhead), not 5.0 (What you have). The majority of people won't have perfect spaces and / or identical speakers. So calibration can provide some significant benefits in those case. My system has an issue with one main speaker that is impacted by boundary gain. I tried many different systems, but only Dirac was able to really bring it back in line.
So how does adding Atmos speakers contribute to music enjoyment when your room has serious acoustical issues?

I'm running Atmos without room correction or bass management and I don't have any complaints.
how are you setting the proper delay for the overheads? are you just doing it manually with a tape measure and then setting in the system settings?

the comment was a direct response to the bass guitar and drums playing through atmos speakers. your main channels should be seeing a lot wider range signal content, especially if set to full range in your calibration or most people use a subwoofer which handles the lower frequencies.

I can say that before I downsized I had a dedicated room with identical full sized KEF Reference towers for fronts and rears. The rears didn't fit into my new space and were replaced by smaller in-wall units with less frequency range and I notice no difference.
Tiny speakers it is then.

So how does adding Atmos speakers contribute to music enjoyment when your room has serious acoustical issues?
i did not say it was a serious issue, but one that i could detect. i used a combination of calibration software and acoustical treatments which have helped significantly. my issue was a front speaker, not an overhead channel. for me the advantage of Atmos is the added channel separation you get by not constraining all the content into 2 speakers (Stereo use) or even 5 speakers (For regular surround sound).

Every room has hurdles to overcome. Why would top speakers make it worse? I'm not making the connection?

You see that scenario used a lot. People will use bookshelves or compact speakers for their mains and add a subwoofer to get the full range response.
Ouch. Quad got it right from the start for music.

how are you setting the proper delay for the overheads? are you just doing it manually with a tape measure and then setting in the system settings?
I used a tape measure to determine the speaker positions, but this is the first I've heard about setting a delay for the heights.

I used a tape measure to determine the speaker positions, but this is the first I've heard about setting a delay for the heights.
all the different calibration software systems i have used (Dirac, Audyssey, YPAO, etc.) use a test tone to determine the performance of each speaker (Set the crossover points) and set the appropriate delay based on distance to the listening position (Where the calibration mic is placed). A tape measure can work also, its an old school solution.

This was covered extensively on avsforum a few years ago and some testing of the information in the Atmos channels indeed showed they are sent full range info if so chosen by the studio. I will see if I can maybe find the thread.

Long story short bass frequencies are sent to Atmos channels. The consensus of the thread was to get as good/big of Atmos speakers as you can so you can cross at at least 80Hz and not something higher or you will lose some effect,

This was covered extensively on avsforum a few years ago and some testing of the information in the Atmos channels indeed showed they are sent full range info if so chosen by the studio. I will see if I can maybe find the thread.

Long story short bass frequencies are sent to Atmos channels. The consensus of the thread was to get as good/big of Atmos speakers as you can so you can cross at at least 80Hz and not something higher or you will lose some effect,
sounds like there may be different questions / answers here. First being what is the range of the recorded content and second is the range that users actually experience. they may be very different. if you can find that actual test data that would be helpful.

You keep harping on about bass not being fulll range. You think all tweeters are flat to 20K?

You keep harping on about bass not being fulll range. You think all tweeters are flat to 20K?
the discussion was about the way the execution of the technology in peoples homes does not make full use of lower frequencies (Due to the crossover settings normally applied at ~80Hz)

On the flip side is your question about the upper frequencies. to my knowledge there is nothing execution wise that is limiting the reproduction of that range (If you could hear to 20Hz).

This stuff must cost the mint the federal government took out of my pension by creating inflation.

Not sure if I'm using the spectrum analyzer correctly in Audacity. I haven't used it previously. If this is accurate, it should put this mystery to bed. Atmos is full range in all channels, as long as it's mixed full range in all channels.

Here is a frequency analysis of only the height channels (the point four of 7.1.4) for Rush - Tom Sawyer.

Screenshot 2023-02-03 at 9.38.00 AM.png

Not sure if I'm using the spectrum analyzer correctly in Audacity. I haven't used it previously. If this is accurate, it should put this mystery to bed. Atmos is full range in all channels, as long as it's mixed full range in all channels.

Here is a frequency analysis of only the height channels (the point four of 7.1.4) for Rush - Tom Sawyer.
that is great info, thanks for posting. so it appears there is content in the lower frequencies. so how do i get it reproduced? i'm not aware of any ceiling mounted speakers that go down that far in their response, i don't know of any ceiling subwoofers?

that is great info, thanks for posting. so it appears there is content in the lower frequencies. so how do i get it reproduced? i'm not aware of any ceiling mounted speakers that go down that far in their response, i don't know of any ceiling subwoofers?
Forget speakers that are advertised as 'ceiling' speakers and use something that goes lower. Many brackets out there that can hold decent weight.

Back