Atmos Full-Range Discussion

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Blu rays should you buy? Here are a few with great mixes, immersive and nice tonal balance.

Schiller Epic and Morgenstund
Air 10,000hz
Booka Shade, Glavany Streeet and Dear Future Self
Steven Wilson The Future Bites
Pineapple thief Give It Back
Soundtrack Of The American Soldier
Jazzmachine 24
Kenny wayne shepherd Trouble and The Traveler
Thanks ordered Air and checking out the others today. I saw Air back in the day in Southern England. They were awesome. Thanks again.

@WozzaDog said;
Knowing: most class D amps have low current abd can’t drive large of medium woofers as well as a lower powered A/B. I had a NAD M28 for 20 months and my NAD 777v3 receiver and Emotiva 7v3 run rings around the M28s bass. I also demoed a M10v2 a few week ago with the Ncore chip and same thing, However I have not heard the Purify 7040 chip for deep full range listening.

I don't yet own a class D amplifier. But this needs a look. (Audio Science Review posted last Saturday)
The majority of the top twenty seem to be modern Class D. I myself would rather buy a Benchmark and I have a Neurochrome 186 kit sitting here and I like Neurochrome 's approach very much. But those measurements don't lie and they are quite consistent. jmo Neurochrome bumped out of top 20.

Whether we like it or not I think that Class D amps are an idea whose time has come.

Attachments

• Best class D amplifier review.png
    Best class D amplifier review.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Thank you for this info. It’s a good example how our / my beliefs are created on hear say. Ah the ego.

I do NOT have and Atmos discs yet and have seen anything that says yes I want that, but I’m new to this channel so that’s about to change. I see Dark Side of the Moon Atmos Blu-Ray is coming out as part of a $250 box set, but it’s full of this other stuff the called records that can’t be recorded on, has no sampling data rate specifications, no this side up label. What’s that all about? Lol.

If I had to buy 20 Atmos Blu-Ray discs what should I buy?
🇨🇦 For a Canadian, I would think it mandatory to order Cahoots at the current 69% discount at Amazon USA.

https://a.co/d/87SuMyV
Or at least stream it on Apple to check it out.

My friend and I tested if full range rear speakers are worth the investment, we tested using smaller towers and bookshelves vs full range, all timber matched. We believe that full size rear speakers that go down deep in bass are worth it if you listen to Atmos music and multichannel SACD’s because having bass coming from multiple sources / locations reduces standing waves. This means either setting the crossover at 30 or 35hzt or 40 max, or setting at full range. Most processors will not allow you to go below 40. I use LS600’s IMAX enhanced speakers, he uses Polk R700 which have larger drivers.

But the best system I’ve heard is 5x B&W 801 Nautilus’s which have 15” bass drivers.

My friend and I tested if full range rear speakers are worth the investment, we tested using smaller towers and bookshelves vs full range, all timber matched. We believe that full size rear speakers that go down deep in bass are worth it if you listen to Atmos music and multichannel SACD’s because having bass coming from multiple sources / locations reduces standing waves. This means either setting the crossover at 30 or 35hzt or 40 max, or setting at full range. Most processors will not allow you to go below 40. I use LS600’s IMAX enhanced speakers, he uses Polk R700 which have larger drivers.

But the best system I’ve heard is 5x B&W 801 Nautilus’s which have 15” bass drivers.
I believe your results. I wish I had room/budget for larger matched speakers. I'm glad my 5 speakers will get down to 40 Hz, although in a 7.1.4 setup Dirac sets the rears at 50 Hz, which is still pretty good for the the speakers' size. If I could fut 4 larger corners I would love to move the current ones to the top speakers.

Sounds awesome!!! I’m sure you’re having lots of fun listening to it. What are sone highlight tracks your enjoying?

You may have heard this before, not much music goes below 40hz. Is that true? I don’t know, I’m just entering the world of REW. In time I will become more aware. This forum is educating me. I only just learned that Atmos discs are available and my first arrived yesterday, Air.

Sounds awesome!!! I’m sure you’re having lots of fun listening to it. What are sone highlight tracks your enjoying?

You may have heard this before, not much music goes below 40hz. Is that true? I don’t know, I’m just entering the world of REW. In time I will become more aware. This forum is educating me. I only just learned that Atmos discs are available and my first arrived yesterday, Air.
Well my current height speakers aren't going to deliver much low end, if that's what you're referring to? My heights are all Polk Monitors with 4" woofers.

Well my current height speakers aren't going to deliver much low end, if that's what you're referring to? My heights are all Polk Monitors with 4" woofers.
Well on measuring with this here yardstick apparently them woofalaters are bigger than 4" but smaller than 5". lol. Can't find the paperwork.

Ah OK online it says they are 5.25". Must be true if CNET says so, huh?

A large speaker will sound better than a small speaker with a sub, if that sub is nowhere near the vicinity of the small speaker.

Hmmm, yet another of your claims that read like facts, but are really opinions. Though I suppose 'nowhere near' can mean a lot of things.

Also, summing a bunch of channels of bass into one bass module, located in some random area of a room isn't ideal.

No one says a single sub should be located in a random area. Or that you have to limit yourself to a single sub.

Room modes exist. Careful subwoofer vs listener placement can ameliorate modal peaks. That's rather harder to do with floorstanders because you cannot separately locate the woofers.

Besides speaker location, the other issue with low frequency reproduction is that it takes more amp power. The fact that subwoofers are typically self-powered lets receivers use less power per channel on the other channels. That's what makes 5, 7, 9, and 11 other channel receivers possible. If you really want monster woofers everywhere then you need amps to go with them, Like I said before, I can see some upside to having woofers at the four corners on the floor, but after that it seems extravagant.

Well on measuring with this here yardstick apparently them woofalaters are bigger than 4" but smaller than 5". lol. Can't find the paperwork.

Ah OK online it says they are 5.25". Must be true if CNET says so, huh?
5.25 sounds correct to what Polk makes in bookshelf monitors over the years. That’s a good size height. I’m using the R900’s as too my friend. They timbre match.

I bet your monitors sound good in enhanced stereo mode?

5.25 sounds correct to what Polk makes in bookshelf monitors over the years. That’s a good size height. I’m using the R900’s as too my friend. They timbre match.

I bet your monitors sound good in enhanced stereo mode?
Originally all 4 and a Cerwin-Vega center were my pc surround system. When I moved all the audio gear into my pc room they lay dormant until I got my 7.1.4 Atmos system up and then they went on the ceiling. I'm using a pair of Klipsch R41M's for side surrounds...not as beefy as the Polks but they do OK as sides, a little brighter maybe.

Originally all 4 and a Cerwin-Vega center were my pc surround system. When I moved all the audio gear into my pc room they lay dormant until I got my 7.1.4 Atmos system up and then they went on the ceiling. I'm using a pair of Klipsch R41M's for side surrounds...not as beefy as the Polks but they do OK as sides, a little brighter maybe.
Very cool.

I did something unusual for sides. I have Polk Legends everywhere except sides because I wanted a true dude speaker not a tower, so I purchased a pair of Polk LSiM 702F/X so the side speaker is acting in dipole mode. I had planned to change the tweeter to timbre match. I just realized I forgot to do that as all this happened when I moved house. I have to get a plate 3D printed to match the insert.

Thanks for reminding me.

Very cool.

I did something unusual for sides. I have Polk Legends everywhere except sides because I wanted a true dude speaker not a tower, so I purchased a pair of Polk LSiM 702F/X so the side speaker is acting in dipole mode. I had planned to change the tweeter to timbre match. I just realized I forgot to do that as all this happened when I moved house. I have to get a plate 3D printed to match the insert.

Thanks for reminding me.
Matthew Poes just posted this article on YouTube:

I agree with Matt completely.
Back in the early 90s I bought a completely new 5.1 system using what had been a highly
reviewed Paradigm speaker system. The three fronts were identical Paradigm Titans and the
surrounds were di/bi pole's. Long story short, I never grew to love the surround presentation
of that rig. Tonally it did sound very good but the soundscape just never jelled for me.
Here's the picture I used for my ebay sale around 2008
YMMV

IMG_0911.JPG

It's definitely true unless you're talking about very specific electronic music or something with a pipe organ; that said, there are definitely harmonics (read: distortion :whistle:) down there and once you get to movies, then of course there is plenty below 40hz.

But still, there's always a target audience. I figure the loudness wars came about because the recording industry started mastering for earbuds. I don't like it, but I understand it.
The loudness wars started way way way before earbuds. It goes back to at least the 60’s if not earlier. Artists and producers always wanted their records to be louder than the competition.

The loudness wars went “ nuclear” in the later 80’s and 90’s with the advent of digital audio and very powerful digital limiters. The mass use of earbuds came later, and yes loud masterings are more easily heard and enjoyed by earbud listeners ( vs more detailed and dynamic recordings) because your average earbuds are hardly audiophile quality and they are used on the go, and often in very noisy environments.

Back