Audacity Sold

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saw this today

Thanks for the Info. And they do this two days before the 4th of July. Like we wouldn’t notice. Well, the name of the software is aptly named now. Wondering if this applies to older versions?

Malware and spyware. Don’t download it. Maybe if you can get an older version that doesn’t do this. Better yet, just buy an inexpensive alternative. But Do Not download or support Audacity.

Thanks for the Info. And they do this two days before the 4th of July. Like we wouldn’t notice. Well, the name of the software is aptly named now. Wondering if this applies to older versions?

Malware and spyware. Don’t download it. Maybe if you can get an older version that doesn’t do this. Better yet, just buy an inexpensive alternative. But Do Not download or support Audacity.
I love me some old Adobe Audition v3.

I used both Soundforge and Audition for years. Now I have less need for a DAW as such but I just stick with Audition out of familiarity. Does all I need these days. I never really liked Audacity except of course it was free-though now I don't remember specifically why and it's been years since I used it.
I used Audition a lot when I was upmixing constantly but I've probably forgotten a lot. In addition to the DAW's there are so many audio related programs these days I wish I had access to when upmixing.

I've listened to the work some of you guys have turned out in recent times, and new programs aside there are some seriously talented people here whether mixing-remixing, upmixing or other aspects of audio.
Makes me wish I'd kept my hand in a little longer but my priorities shifted over recent years plus it seems the older I get the less time I have to cover my interests.
Even my gardening has been reduced to containers located close to the house. Takes a lot to laugh, a train to cry. lol. "now the wintertime is coming..."

I'm seeing a number of reports of malware tagging along with Audacity downloads. Their are claims of either it's one/some of the freebee download sites adding malware or Audacity itself. There's a telltale agreement/notice of sharing your address book or something. Either it comes from them of the hack gets into their installer. Not sure if it only affects Windows.

I've seen this more than 5 times now. I honestly suspect this is bs and just one of the popular download mirror sites got hacked with something. I'm not researching this. Careful out there! :D

Of course you can just deny it network access with a network monitor app like Little Snitch. Everyone should be using a network monitor.

I actually heard an advertisement yesterday on an AM radio sports talk show for this software. It was the first time I heard it. Considering I have been using this software for over a decade and listening to that particular station for many decades, I would have noticed it before...

As the dust settles, it looks like they collect the basic system stats just like they state. No one has busted them collecting anything else at this point at any rate. Word on the street is this is more a poisoning the well kind of attack against open source products by the likes of Microsoft starting and nurturing rumors.

Back