B.B. King Dead at 89

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Quad Linda

Staff member
Riley B., aka B.B. (Blues Boy) King dead at 89: https://www.yahoo.com/music/las-vegas-ap-b-b-king-whose-scorching-guitar-119008689321.html

_45712320_bbkingyoung.jpg

I remember seeing him back in Indy in the mid-80s. It was an intimate setting and one of the most memorable concerts I have ever been to.

Thanks for all the beautiful music, B.B!

RIP my friend; The Blues will NEVER be the same;thanks for the memories & great times.

Think I will spin the SACD 5.1 of "Reflections" & the DVDA of "Riding with the King" tonight in his honor.

A true survivor. I can only imagine what this guy had to go through as he made the difficult climb to stardom, smiling to the public all along the way. Pure class and a guitar.

RIP and thanks for all of the music.

Imho it is a good thing that man is mortal. However, I wish there would be exeptions sometimes. RIP B.B. King.

The bank manager mentioned this to me today. I told him I thought BB King was already dead. His response was he thought so too. And a BB King song was being played in the bank while I was there. Maybe all BB King all day.

A class act and a hell of a musician. Saw him in New Hampshire many, many moons ago; an unforgettable evening, and he always played the favorites. "The Thrill Is Gone"? Not as long as we can hear Lucille and that voice cut through the fog of popular music.

RIP, Riley.

ED

I went to college in Lyndonville, Vermont. I am sure many of you have never heard of the place. On 2/12/83 BB played the high school - Lyndon Institute - while I was a student at the college. He was the biggest name to play in town during my four year stay. At the time I was part of the college radio station, and I had the privilege of going through all of his records that we had at the station to compile an hour long "artist spotlight" to play the night before his show. His concert was a great show.

Then I saw him just two summers ago at Red Rocks in Colorado. He was warming up for the Tedeschi Trucks Band on 8/30/12. I had assumed he would be the headliner, since he IS after all a legend, but after seeing the show it made sense. His set was relatively short, possibly because of his age rather than just being the opener, and his actual playing time was shorter. He told lots of stories. Still, an enjoyable set.

Another interesting bit of trivia that I had never noticed until someone pointed it out: he never sang and played guitar at the same time. Since hearing this years ago, I have watched more closely, and have found this to be true. Anyway, he brought lots of good energy into the world. Who could hope for more?

How sad to hear. He was a commencement speaker and honorary degree recipient (along with Arif Mardin) at my college graduation. He handed me my diploma with a smile and hearty handshake.

Back