HiRez Poll Beatles, The - THE BEATLES (The White Album) [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of The Beatles - THE BEATLES (The White Album)

• Total voters
Yes I'm the vote of 6, my musician buddy and I went through this Sat. using my Technics scope to see what was going on for the most part other then Rev 9 and the few other snorts and birds, most of what was in the rears was reverb. 98 percent of this is just stereo. If you just listen to the rears that's what is going on, reverb. Great fidelity!! But! So don't flame me too hard, just what I saw and heard.
No one is going to flame you. You are entitled to your opinion. The polls speak for themselves, on the other hand.

No one is going to flame you. You are entitled to your opinion. The polls speak for themselves, on the other hand.

You have to remember this. When you have a totally discrete mix, like a Columbia Q8 or even Imagine Out takes, you can just listen to the rears and get one type of listen. However, a spacial surround mix takes elements and blends them throughout the listening area, with sounds coming from center middle, phantom left center, and other places in that audio area. If you listen to the rears only on these types of mixes, it's basically going to sound like shit, because you are getting half of the MIX, not half of the channels.

I've listened to this album now too many times, mostly in the car where I get a good surround effect, and I can tell you without prejudice, this mix is NOT just reverb in the rears. It's just not.

Personally, I don't think a vote should be based on listening to 2 of the 5 channels on their own. You should vote on all 5 channels. I mean, that's the point, right?

You have to remember this. When you have a totally discrete mix, like a Columbia Q8 or even Imagine Out takes, you can just listen to the rears and get one type of listen. However, a spacial surround mix takes elements and blends them throughout the listening area, with sounds coming from center middle, phantom left center, and other places in that audio area. If you listen to the rears only on these types of mixes, it's basically going to sound like shit, because you are getting half of the MIX, not half of the channels.

I've listened to this album now too many times, mostly in the car where I get a good surround effect, and I can tell you without prejudice, this mix is NOT just reverb in the rears. It's just not.

Personally, I don't think a vote should be based on listening to 2 of the 5 channels on their own. You should vote on all 5 channels. I mean, that's the point, right?

I like the vocals in the center channel...BUT...I've heard some mixes that sound "too discrete"...at times it seems like you are listening to 2 "competing" songs instead of 1 cohesive song...it has to make sense in the totality of the mix...if it's not... the song sounds too different from the original...I think that is what a lot of artists fear when they envision surround sound being applied to their music...that it won't sound enough like the original..

Your explanation about just isolating individual channels and judging an entire mix on the individual parts is spot on(y)(y)(y)

Well we were sitting there looking at the scope and just kinda waiting for more the whole time then we would restart a track and and isolate the rears and again for a good part of the time it was just reverb (not immersive) until the above mentioned things would be in the mix. It reminded me of a Silverline mix until the chirps, snorts ect.
I listened to a members faux mix of Abby Road Sat night too that was better then this. Thanks Darrin!

(From the EL poll thread.)

Ya guyz I think my expectations were really high for this and the WA, I guess too high maybe.
Spoiled by releases like ELP, Yes, King Crimson, Elton and Avalon. Not all SW mixes but all very immersive with full use of all the channels with a great deal of discrete stuff. I guess I want SW to mix every thing hehe.

Last edited:
Well we were sitting there looking at the scope and just kinda waiting for more the whole time then we would restart a track and and isolate the rears and again for a good part of the time it was just reverb (not immersive) until the above mentioned things would be in the mix. It reminded me of a Silverline mix until the chirps, snorts ect.
I listened to a members faux mix of Abby Road Sat night too that was better then this. Thanks Darrin!

(From the EL poll thread.)

Ya guyz I think my expectations were really high for this and the WA, I guess too high maybe.
Spoiled by releases like ELP, Yes, King Crimson, Elton and Avalon. Not all SW mixes but all very immersive with full use of all the channels with a great deal of discrete stuff. I guess I want SW to mix every thing hehe.

Turn off the scope, turn off the meters. Play "Savoy Truffle" from your original Capitol Stereo LP. Then play "Savoy Truffle" in 5.1. If you don't hear a difference, I feel sorry for you.

I have set # 0094910, took weeks to get, but I have SHM CD, which is cool. I am thumbing thru the packaging and it is so great. I like the photo page of all the different album covers from people’s collection. I hope for alone time tomorrow for a listen and the most important thing in the world is rain returns tonight in California, put out the damn fire and maybe we can breath again, believe it or not the air quality is still hazardous as of this writing, certainly better than last week. 11 days of bad air, worst on planet.
I of course I’m excited over this release, but it is sad that others who have lost everything, our not happy.

Yes I'm the vote of 6, my musician buddy and I went through this Sat. using my Technics scope to see what was going on for the most part other then Rev 9 and the few other snorts and birds, most of what was in the rears was reverb. 98 percent of this is just stereo. If you just listen to the rears that's what is going on, reverb. Great fidelity!! But! So don't flame me too hard, just what I saw and heard.
Good thing I don't listen with a scope. (Is that too hard?)

Turn off the scope, turn off the meters. Play "Savoy Truffle" from your original Capitol Stereo LP. Then play "Savoy Truffle" in 5.1. If you don't hear a difference, I feel sorry for you.
Jon I'm not saying that there is nothing in the rears on any song, I'm saying that I was hoping for a more immersive experience minus the reverb in the rears. Sorry u boyz are taking this personally, Just my opinion. Flame on boyz!!!

Jon I'm not saying that there is nothing in the rears on any song, I'm saying that I was hoping for a more immersive experience minus the reverb in the rears. Sorry u boyz are taking this personally, Just my opinion. Flame on boyz!!!

I don't think anyone is taking it personally at all. They are just saying that you cant judge the surround mix solely by looking at some sub group of the individual channels.

I don't have this release yet so I cant comment on it directly. But I'm sure it, like many releases, does indeed have many of the same elements in the front and rear channels. Depending on the levels, the applied reverb, and probably a half dozen other parameters, when the fronts and rears are played together, the perceived location of the sound is somewhere in between front and rear. A soundstage is set up on each side of the listening space in the same way it is set across a stereo stage. We tend to call it more discrete when the location seems to be extreme front or extreme rear. Some releases run vocals in all channels as well. This tends to give the illusion that they are further out in the room.

Even with stereo, there are elements of the music that appear in both the left and right speakers, its only when heard together do they provide a satisfying image. Would you look at the left and right scans of a stereo track and conclude that because there were the same elements in both channels that it cant be a very good stereo presentation?

I think I understand what you're saying... this mix, like Electric Ladyland (and Styx "The Mission", for that matter) is one of those "everything appears a little bit everywhere" type of mixes... but in all of these mixes there are elements emphasized in one channel more than another or in the rears more than the fronts, etc... so while you don't get a "Columbia Quad" type of discreteness, you do get a full surround experience with different elements coming from different areas. It works for me (but I, too, usually prefer completely discrete separation).

Not flaming at all. (Glad to have you stop by again, and also Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours). I am just disagreeing that it's the same as Pepper's mix. Sure, it's nowhere near the Imagine Out-takes tracks, those are Columbia Q8 like, but honestly, the only way we will ever hear a Columbia Q8 type mix of The Beatles is by listening to stuff like that fan-created Abbey Road derived from Guitar Hero stems that you mentioned.

And comparing a released authorized mix to those fan created mixes isn't fair as they don't have to answer to anyone, let alone a conglomerate. I have no issue with your vote, that's why there are choices selectable from 1 to 10. Voting '6' and stating why you did is exactly what the poll threads are for.

I dislike it when someone bombs a poll with a low vote (or excessively high vote) but does not post as to why. That's the only time I get annoyed. Well, maybe there ARE other times! :)

Not flaming at all. (Glad to have you stop by again, and also Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours). I am just disagreeing that it's the same as Pepper's mix. Sure, it's nowhere near the Imagine Out-takes tracks, those are Columbia Q8 like, but honestly, the only way we will ever hear a Columbia Q8 type mix of The Beatles is by listening to stuff like that fan-created Abbey Road derived from Guitar Hero stems that you mentioned.

And comparing a released authorized mix to those fan created mixes isn't fair as they don't have to answer to anyone, let alone a conglomerate. I have no issue with your vote, that's why there are choices selectable from 1 to 10. Voting '6' and stating why you did is exactly what the poll threads are for.

I dislike it when someone bombs a poll with a low vote (or excessively high vote) but does not post as to why. That's the only time I get annoyed. Well, maybe there ARE other times! :)

How would you compare this to the Love and Anthology mixes? I am not able to listen until this weekend or next week.

Back