Bela Fleck: The Bluegrass Sessions- Help needed?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

shycohen

Hi,
Just purchased the above dvd-a. It is a warner production. It says at the back that the disc plays 3 ways.
The problem is that I can't seem to find the stereo playlist. The only thing I am able to play is the surround playlist which is no good since I have only one pair of analog cables connected yet.
Didn't have this problem with my other warner titles (The Doors, Rumors, Pat Metheny, Eric clapton&B.B King).

Is it possible that the disc is faulty?

Thanks for your help.
Shyke.

I may be mistaken, but I believe this was one of the 1st round of releases from WB, where fold-down to stereo from the 5.1 mix was implemented using MLPs fold-down capability.

It was the 2nd round of titles from WB which started including dedicated stereo mixes.

Depending on player, different methods are used for fold-down to stereo.

Regards,

This disc does not have a stereo mix. My Toshiba SD-9200 does not "fold-down" this title and I get 2/3 of the surround mix in stereo mode.

Thanks you guys. I thought the disc was defected.
What does fold down to stereo mean?

Best regards,
Shyke.

One of the capabilities of MLP is to include metadata that allows for an "intelligent" fold down of multi-channel info to stereo mixes.

This means one datastream could carry both mixes, without storing discrete stereo and multi-channel mixes.

Regards,

Hey John, that actually makes a lot of sense and would explain why some of my discs "fold-down" and others do not. At first I thought it was a function of the player, but then I could not explain the discrepancy among titles. Your assertion that MLP can contain metadata for fold-down purposes would explain this. I would then presume that the Bela Fleck MLP track does not contain this metadata.

But this does raise another question. Are there players that do "hardware level" fold-down in lieu of an MLP initiated fold-down? Inquiring minds want to know...

Cai,

To the best of my knowledge, no.

Further, most of the titles have discrete stereo mixes these days -- all of the WB output for example.

Much of the Silverline catalog is 5.1 only (a mistake IMO).

Regards,

Back