Ben Folds Concerto for Piano and Orchestra DTS-CD??

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ogrequad

So, at my local Bull Moose store, I stumbled across a disc that I have never seen/heard of before, and a quick QQ search brought up nothing. It's Ben Folds "Concerto for Piano and Orchestra" and it is labeled on the front artwork as a "Limited Edition". It also says that it contains a DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 mix of the Concerto, which was originally released on his "So There" album: Ben Folds So There

It comes in a card sleeve with credits on the back, which list none other than Elliot Scheiner (with Mathew Scheiner) as being in charge of production, recording, and the surround mix. It also was mastered for 5.1 by Bob Ludwig.

The strange thing is that, when I popped it into my player, it registered as a CD, so it must be a DTS-CD. However, can a DTS-CD also be encoded in DTS-HD Master Audio?? I thought that only Blu-Ray discs had a capacity for Master Audio, so I'm confused about this.

Anyway, it's a really great mix, with some nice discrete elements, especially for an orchestral recording. Fidelity is excellent, as you can imagine, with Scheiner and Ludwig working on it.

Is anyone else familiar with this disc? I couldn't even find a listing on Discogs!

Some photos:

IMG_0244.jpg

IMG_0245.jpg

I think this dvd came packaged with an LP set.
Not originally sold separate.
You got real lucky finding it.

Edit
It now seems from above the store sells it as a stand alone now
But how can a CD have dts master audio 5.1?

Great find! Personally, I would guess that this is a DTS-CD (like Scheiner's recent 5.1 mix of Alain Mallet's Mutt Slang) and that the master audio labeling is just a marketing mistake--unless you're in-the-know, it's pretty easy to mix up the various flavors of DTS.

I tried both in my Sony Blu-Ray player and my Denon DVD player (which plays DVD-A and SACD), and they both read it as a CD but still put out full 5.1 sound.

The liner notes say "Thanks to Acura and ELS". Thanks for the link!

Love the music. Are the rears ambient only or are there some discrete elements? Oops, JUST noticed it was mixed into 5.1 by Elliot Scheiner and mastered at Gateway Studios by the great Bob Ludwig so QUALITY ASSURED!

edit: just ordered a copy ....... $12.00 + $6.60 s/h and NO sales tax.......

Last edited:
Okay quick research shows Ben Folds working with Elliot Scheiner working together with Acura involvement. 2014 press release
Discogs does show limited edition version of So There (2 LP + "HD DVD" = full album in 24/96 stereo) and there is no mention of this DTS CD anywhere.

This leads me to believe this was never commercially available and more of a rare PROMO item that would be great ELS demo material benefiting Acura and it's forthcoming 2015 TLX. Maybe came with the car?

Okay quick research shows Ben Folds working with Elliot Scheiner working together with Acura involvement. 2014 press release
Discogs does show limited edition version of So There (2 LP + "HD DVD" = full album in 24/96 stereo) and there is no mention of this DTS CD anywhere.

This leads me to believe this was never commercially available and more of a rare PROMO item that would be great ELS demo material benefiting Acura and it's forthcoming 2015 TLX. Maybe came with the car?

It's actually listed at Amazon as "Currently Unavailable"--but also as an "Amazon Exclusive." Was it actually sold there briefly in 2015?

Last edited:
It's actually listed at Amazon as "Unavailable"--but also as an "Amazon Exclusive." Was it actually sold there briefly in 2015?
I have to think a 3rd dealer or private seller listed it through Amazon; the UPC is dead for results and I don't believe that Amazon itself would stock an item with such low or uncertain inventory. The plot thickens!

Back