Best Buy & Circuit City

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
I have both of these stores real close to me, and I stop in them from time to time. I tend to prefer BB over CC. The BB has a section in the DVDs for DVD-A's, and they have a small section in the audio department for SACDs, while the CC has a newly installed SACD shelf near the hardware, and no DVD-A's.

Unfortunately, both these stores are lacking. The Best Buy was great with DVD-A's, but the last shipment they got was when SONGS FOR SURVIVORS and NIGHT AT THE OPERA came out. Since then, there have been no new DVD-A's added to their stock. Same with the SACDs. The new JT and Big Brother are no where to be found. I checked in with the regular CDs, and there were a few misfiled older titles, but no new releases. They had the Stones, but they were not marked as SACDs.

The Circuit City is even worse. They have that small shelf of SACDs (probably paid for by SONY) and that's it. No recent titles, and no DVD-A's.

This is a maximum bummer. Sure, they can be had on the internet, but that's what happened to LaserDiscs. Not in the stores, not in the minds of the consumers. The few of us wackos will search them out, but the newbies jumping on the bandwagon via an impulse purchase is what these formats need.

I would expect more from these stores.....

:-jon

Maybe a few letters to these Companys would light a fire under their butts, and let them know they're missing the boat. I'm a mgr. at a supermarket and we get letters from customers on our web site about products we don't carry or ones they would like us to carry. The info filters down to store level during meetings and such and open discussions as to what we can do to better serve the customer! It's a very competitive biz, so we do all we can to attract new and keep old customers! Might work!

Rob

On Best Buy, I guess it varies by store. Here in Silicon Valley, several of the Best Buy stores are carrying the newer SACDs including JT by James Taylor (for $11.99 no less - although stocked in the regular James Taylor CD section vs. the SACD section), Cheap Thrills, Aerosmith Greatest Hits, Jorma K, The Coryells and a number of Telarc Multichannel SACDs for $15.99 each.

On Circuit City, yes not much new there lately except for Cheap Thrills and the "A New Day" Multichannel SACD by Celine Dion.

>>Same with the SACDs. The new JT and Big Brother are no where to be found. I checked in with the regular CDs, and there were a few misfiled older titles, but no new releases. They had the Stones, but they were not marked as SACDs.<<

Back