Better Than Ezra - How Does Your Garden Grow? 5.1 DVD-A released 4/27/13

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I could just add...

I received my copy of the BTE disc yesterday and it is truly a fantastic thing. Great music, great mix. No issues with the content whatsoever. And kudos to you, Rich, for bringing this to us. I'm really looking forward to the other material you plan on bringing us.

For want of not being a "packaging bitch", it did feel a bit flimsy compared to other digipak's and my only concern would be its ability to do a long term job of protecting the disc. That said, it's absolutely fine and should you decide that this is the way you want to go, I have no problem with that and certainly wouldn't not buy your products based on that. As has been said, it's the content that truly matters, and as a 5.1 aficionado, I am used to a myriad different cases and packages! ;) I'm all for the environmental safeguarding too :)

This is an exceptional first effort and I hope we see many, many more :)

I'm an unabashed packaging bitch. I like physical product, so I buy physical product and I expect it to arrive (if new & sealed) without bent-over/dog-eared edges to the digipak etc (caused, I believe, chiefly by overtight/overzealous shrinkwrapping, at least on my copy of the BTE DVD-A). the packaging on the BTE release is my only real criticism of it, though its a relatively minor gripe. in every other respect its an excellent release. very excited to see what's coming next from Music Valet in surround!

Rich,

Please do not misinterpret the issue I had with the packaging. It is a minor issue completely. It does not detract from what was a fantastic effort and execution on your part with this album. You've given our flat-lined favorite format a shot in the arm. Like was said earlier, if the biggest knock on this release is about the case and packaging then you know you did a fantastic job. I can't wait to see what you have next for us. I was humming One More Murder just the other day.

I'm an unabashed packaging bitch. I like physical product, so I buy physical product and I expect it to arrive (if new & sealed) without bent-over/dog-eared edges to the digipak etc (caused, I believe, chiefly by overtight/overzealous shrinkwrapping, at least on my copy of the BTE DVD-A). the packaging on the BTE release is my only real criticism of it, though its a relatively minor gripe. in every other respect its an excellent release. very excited to see what's coming next from Music Valet in surround!

hey Adam, i'm not attempting to insult you or anyone else. it just ridiculous to hear complains in regard aesthetical
merits of packaging. particularly in comparison to all these overpriced "collector" boxes. filled by the garbage for most part.

it's was first release from Music Valet and obviously, the producer wasn't sure how it will sells, thus attempt to make
production maximum cheaper absolutely justified.
there also huge segment of the market, which after 10 years since first introduction of DVD-Audio, still not yet familiar with
format. what chances that those will buy disc in a fancy package for, let say $30? but it's different when same release is
offered at half of this price. who know, could be this can be incentive for some of such buyers to join surround sound world.
in fact i'm wondering why Rich haven't yet offered this release through amazon, which definately will give exposure to much
wider audience.

hey Adam, i'm not attempting to insult you or anyone else. it just ridiculous to hear complains in regard aesthetical
merits of packaging. particularly in comparison to all these overpriced "collector" boxes. filled by the garbage for most part.

it's was first release from Music Valet and obviously, the producer wasn't sure how it will sells, thus attempt to make
production maximum cheaper absolutely justified.
there also huge segment of the market, which after 10 years since first introduction of DVD-Audio, still not yet familiar with
format. what chances that those will buy disc in a fancy package for, let say $30? but it's different when same release is
offered at half of this price. who know, could be this can be incentive for some of such buyers to join surround sound world.
in fact i'm wondering why Rich haven't yet offered this release through amazon, which definately will give exposure to much
wider audience.

naaah.. you should know by now I'm not that easily offended! ;)

I totally agree re: this mercifully not being stuck in a big stupid box full of other crap just to get the surround! (we've all expressed our dismay at that little marketing "strategy"..) but feedback on a new label's first release on a format has got to be a good thing - constructive criticism about the packagings' deficiencies isn't excessive and I have tried to keep my 'complaint' in proportion, in every other respect the release is pretty much spot on and I'm very happy with it.

I have to say if I didn't care about the physical package at all, I'd have settled for rips of OOP SA-CDs & DVD-As rather than paying for the physical product (I could have saved myself a fair few quid!) but I've done so as much to have the tangible product as the contents (my prerogative.. I can't be bothered being drawn on the legalities of such rips right now, if you can't get stuff legitimately and you want it and its there on a plate, who wouldn't/hasn't downloaded illegal rips..?!?) ..I could get the contents of just about anything I buy (music, movies, etc) online for free or download legally to save houseroom (and the planet!) and so on.. but when I pay for a disc (in a case or a box or a whatever) different story, there's expectations - nearly all of them were met on this release just the packaging, which really isn't a dealbreaker for me, just my 'two cents' that the shrinkwrap was a bit too tight which made the external corners bent out of shape, which was "a shame" nothing more.. I'm not pissed off so much that it affects my enjoyment of the discs' contents, its one tiny negative in a whole shitload of positives!

NEXT DVD-A RELEASE PLEASE MUSIC VALET..!!! :p (y)

Folks, I'm out of luck in ordering this album from Hungary. Could you recommend a seller that does ship to Hungary at affordable price?

What's going on with Music Valet anyway? Haven't heard a peep from Richard since he mentioned going to London to line up the next MV release. Hope this series isn't going the way of Quadio!

Bizarrely, I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday as I caught a glimpse of the BtE disc in my cabinet. It'd be a shame if they'd come to a halt :(

Hey guys, sorry for the silence. Lots happening on the Music Valet front. I'll be at AES later this week/weekend in NYC socializing a Pure Audio Blu-ray version of the Ezra disc that includes a remastered version of the original stereo mixes as well as the mini-documentary we created for the release.

https://vimeo.com/63736914

The Pure Audio Blu-ray format is something we're testing. Looking at a possible dual release of DVD-A/DTS for car folks and Pure Audio Blu-ray for the home theatre folks for future releases.

On upcoming releases, let's just say I'm practicing patience and waiting to land the right mix. I'm heading back over to London in a few weeks for another flurry of meetings and it does look like the next mix will be from a UK act.

I also did want to comment on the packaging. I appreciate the honest feedback and from my own regard, was already in the process of switching gears for future releases. The paper type, weight, etc was picked to optimize the longevity of the packaging look/feel all while meeting a certain price point. For future releases, we are going a more robust direction with packaging.

Keep the comments coming. More to come from our side soon!

Best,

Rich LaBonte

Hey guys, sorry for the silence. Lots happening on the Music Valet front. I'll be at AES later this week/weekend in NYC socializing a Pure Audio Blu-ray version of the Ezra disc that includes a remastered version of the original stereo mixes as well as the mini-documentary we created for the release.

https://vimeo.com/63736914

The Pure Audio Blu-ray format is something we're testing. Looking at a possible dual release of DVD-A/DTS for car folks and Pure Audio Blu-ray for the home theatre folks for future releases.

On upcoming releases, let's just say I'm practicing patience and waiting to land the right mix. I'm heading back over to London in a few weeks for another flurry of meetings and it does look like the next mix will be from a UK act.

I also did want to comment on the packaging. I appreciate the honest feedback and from my own regard, was already in the process of switching gears for future releases. The paper type, weight, etc was picked to optimize the longevity of the packaging look/feel all while meeting a certain price point. For future releases, we are going a more robust direction with packaging.

Keep the comments coming. More to come from our side soon!

Best,

Rich LaBonte

This is very good news to hear! Excited to see what you come up with, especially as a Brit. I wonder who that act might be? ;)

Waiting with anticipation :)

^ based on an earlier post from Richard, it sounds like it's going to be London Calling. Which should be excellent if that's the case!

^ based on an earlier post from Richard, it sounds like it's going to be London Calling. Which should be excellent if that's the case!
I know he said he's visiting London and it will be a UK act, but I wouldn't conclude that it's going to be London Calling. I hope you're right though!

I hope it's true though. Popular music is seriously underrepresented in MCH mixes. I like Jazz, Classical and prog almost as much as anyone else on here and AVS, but it would be nice for more artists from the alternative genre to have proper MCH mixes done. I'd love to hear Appetite for Destruction in MCH!

Back