BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013 - PART TWO

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pet Sounds is one of the biggest surround disappointments, kind of like Lennon's Imagine. DPLII decoding of this stereo title is vastly preferable.

What is DPLII? My Marantz receiver does not have that.

Pet Sounds is one of the biggest surround disappointments, kind of like Lennon's Imagine. DPLII decoding of this stereo title is vastly preferable.

I was always led to believe something went dismally wrong with the authoring of the Pet Sounds disc from a surround p.o.v. and so certain tracks had their channels wrongly allocated (as seriously as full range L/R info being steered into the LFE on certain songs, for example) plus phase issues etc. QQ Neil knows more about it I think.

So, I've received two emails from Amazon.com telling me that my pre-order of the Nick Drake and Supertramp discs has been cancelled because the items are not available???? I guess I'll have to order elsewhere.

So, I've received two emails from Amazon.com telling me that my pre-order of the Nick Drake and Supertramp discs has been cancelled because the items are not available???? I guess I'll have to order elsewhere.

I also received the same email concerning Supertramp "Crime of the Century" however Nick Drake is still on pre order. Just in case I will pre order elsewhere and hopefully these releases have not been canceled period. Sorry to hear that your orders were canceled and hopefully you can use another resource.

Happy New Year everyone

I just got the Oscar Peterson "Live At Cologne" disc. Can anyone tell me if this was, indeed, a true 5.1 mix? It seems that this is a radio broadcast from 1961 and while the audio sounds great - surely this can't be a true 5.1 mix in which case we have the start of another Silverline.

Shove a little echo and/or applause in the rears. Voila! It's 5.1. Has that ever been done before? :mad:@:

Yes, Bob, this series is the new Silverline. Buy them because they're great performances. I have a DVD-V of the Coltrane. It is as much 5.1 as my cat.

I just got the Oscar Peterson "Live At Cologne" disc. Can anyone tell me if this was, indeed, a true 5.1 mix? It seems that this is a radio broadcast from 1961 and while the audio sounds great - surely this can't be a true 5.1 mix in which case we have the start of another Silverline.

This site, http://www.elusivedisc.com/Universal-Blu-Ray-Pure-Audio/products/794/ , lists the following as having a 5.1 mix, but is it true? I suspect not, but it would be nice if at least one was.

John Lennon - Imagine
Lenny Kravitz - Are You Going To Go My Way
Tears For Fears - The Hurting
Velvet Underground - White Light/White Heat

All 4 will be 2.0 only. Elusive confirmed the incorrect listings with me and have since corrected the info. I ordered the Velvet Underground "White light\white heat anyways simply because its an exceptional album...

Last edited:
TFF is a pretty good deal from amazon.uk -- the other titles cost more. Still cheaper than buying from Elusive.

TFF is a pretty good deal from amazon.uk -- the other titles cost more. Still cheaper than buying from Elusive.

has anything purchased the newest blu rays coming out in january?
on the hfpa facebook page -somebody wrote that their tears for tears was dispatched? so i'm wondering if they are actually being released as scheduled.

I ordered the Tears For Fears and Lenny Kravitz but both are still pending, no shipment confirmed yet.

has anything purchased the newest blu rays coming out in january?
on the hfpa facebook page -somebody wrote that their tears for tears was dispatched? so i'm wondering if they are actually being released as scheduled.

afaik Lennon, Pistols & TFF HFPA's are all shipping now, Lenny Kravitz & Genesis in the next week-ish and Nick Drake/FLL end of Feb/mid-Mar., still nothing on Crime of the C'y..

I have the Pistols disc, which is a mixed bag the live stuff great to have but not that good for an alleged soundboard.

The main album I think I am hearing the nuances of each studio that each song was recorded in more detail.

It does sound good but not a revalation great but so far only one listen.

Does it sound better than my original Virgin CD yes

Last edited:
afaik Lennon, Pistols & TFF HFPA's are all shipping now, Lenny Kravitz & Genesis in the next week-ish and Nick Drake/FLL end of Feb/mid-Mar., still nothing on Crime of the C'y..

I got my shipping notice for Genesis "SEBTP" on Saturday with a delivery date of Monday :)

Would you guys who are getting this new batch of HFPA post some thoughts on them after you've given them a listen? The erratic nature of the mixes and criticisms of the releases so far has really made me gun shy on purchasing anymore titles until someone gives a thumbs up to the titles.

HFPA have today announced that the new George Michael album, "Symphonica" will have a Pure Audio Blu Ray edition on release day. First example of new material being launched on Blu Ray? I say "New Material", the "Symphonica" album consists of reworkings and covers with Georgie singing along with an orchestra (yawn), but there is no mention of tech specs anywhere.

http://store.georgemichael.com/symphonica-pure-audio-blu-ray

Back