Wanting to capture Pure Audio Blu-ray music on Mac OS

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhinojack

400 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
I wanting to capture songs from my Blu-ray audio collections to turn into MP3s for another purpose. (yes I know about reduced quality). I just don't know how to do it. I'll need an external Blu-ray drive, software, and connections. Can anyone recommend this stuff and an easy process for a Mac in a nutshell? In looking at drives, the bad reviews all seem to say they fizzle out after weeks or they're too loud when playing.

Pioneer or Panasonic are the usual brands. Maybe avoid the generic no name brands. Definitely avoid Amazon - should go without saying these days. Their bootlegs fizzling out in just weeks sounds about right.

I've had a Pioneer BDR-206D since 2011. Still ripping bluray discs!

Look at something like the Panasonic UJ-267 for a slot-loader for a laptop.

MakeMKV is convenient to rip. They used to have a $50 license. Maybe they still do? There's some beta release version that apparently is free now? Back in 2011 it seemed like Sony was going to get their cut one way or the other (license or stand alone hardware purchase) and I decided the $50 seemed fair.

One would assume the main thing would be ripping and preserving the surround sound program in fullest original quality and any stereo fold down to mp3 would be secondary but carry on with whatever. It would be quicker and easier to just rip stereo mp3 quality right off youtube or just click on Spotify. (And you'd actually find 24 bit lossless here and there.)

I've always kept the computer in the next room from the main audio room. Don't move the mountain as it were trying to quiet down fans or compromise the machine. Just put it in the next room or a closet and get your cables organized. So the drive noise is a moot point. Optical drives do make noise! I've never heard of a quiet one. I do occasionally play something off a new disc if I'm impatient to hear it but I usually rip them anyway so noise is an extra moot point.

Back