BIG Blu-Ray Audio drive from Universal Music in 2013

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can BR's have a CD layer?
no.
technically speaking, BD-A can be seen as slightly improved DVD-A. it retains similar universality in regards of abilities
to deliver to end user multiple formats (surround /stereo HiRez sound, video, additional content such like lossy/lossless
audio formats for use on portable gadgets... etc.)
my guess is that this UMG initiative are nothing else but attempt to consolidate delivery of entertaining stuff on the single
universal phisical medium. considering commercial failure of previous attempt of competing DVD-A and SACD formats due to
their incompatability and lack of massive support from hardware manufacturers, BD-A (albeit most likely will never hit the
hight of CD's sales in past) yet have potential to sustain sales of phisical medium on condition that 2 other major players
will got involved in this game.
in such case there would be only one competitor - purchase of downloadable single track, which is as of today, most popular
form buying of music.

What's most important to me is that this isn't simply a blu-ray release of material that is already out there. I want truly hi-rez releases or nothing at all. Stereo vs. surround is less of an issue, though I'd prefer surround.

wholeheartedly agree, though I'm encouraged by some of the UMG pre-orders for things that haven't been available in physical Hi-Rez disc form before now (Bob Marley and Supertramp in particular) and by rumours of Abba, Queen and U2 coming to this format.

Can that be translated to english? I know many Brits speak french but us americans need help.

I cut & pasted it all into Google Translate to get a gist of the discussion..
but to be fair there's not a lot of juicy stuff in there, its all too early to tell what's going to happen..
but for now France is where to watch for how this is going to shape up initially as the first rollout is happening there.

my simplistic summary of Pioneer's DVD/BD players: their Universal DVD players of old are different beasts to their latter-day BDPS. their DVD players were mostly excellent, made in-house, i have one still going strong, I recommend them.. however, around 3 or 4 years ago Pio shut down their plant and started flogging re-badged SHARP BDP's and even to this day, despite them being found out and stopping the practice of touting crappy Sharp players as ther own, their BDPs are still just terrible, unreliable heaps of crap, with the most abysmal buggy firmware. same goes for Yamaha BDP's - avoid.

I have this BDP:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/azur-651bd-universal-blu-ray-player

Practically an Oppo BDP-93 clone.. but CA maintain it has a better engineered/dampened chassis and improved DACs.. Wot-ev-urr..!?

I got it because I could buy it from a physical shop (Richer Sounds) as opposed to Oppo which is sold online only and in a few dealers here.. and it was the cheapest way of getting BOTH HDMI and 7.1 Analogue outs in a reliable package.. (Hence you wouldn't have to upgrade your AV Receiver, as it decodes every format - SACD/DVDA/DTS/DD/HDCD/Dolby True HD/DTS Master Audio/DTS HD., you name it.)

..And you know what.. I LOVE IT! It's a wonderful bit of kit! I've not had one seconds trouble out of it (unlike my previous Yamaha BDP.. DRECK!) and the C.A. plays absolutely everything I throw at it! Well apart from my Laserdiscs! They have a tough time getting in the tiny drawers! Matron! :yikes
@Failed Muso, if DSD file playback is/will be important for you then it is worth checking Oppo 103/105.

http://www.universalmusicandbrands.com/news

Please do chip in here with any news or info on..
- announced releases,
- rumoured releases,
- pre-orders,

or just any information you can find on the rollout of the new
"High Fidelity Pure Audio" Blu-ray Audio release program coming from Universal Music Group,
commencing May 13th 2013.

Thank You.

(y)

Interesting. The UMG blog post is dated January 2013 and says 50 of these titles are "now available". Where are they available? Europe ?

Interesting. The UMG blog post is dated January 2013 and says 50 of these titles are "now available". Where are they available? Europe ?

Yes, I noticed that too. I think it must be an error!? I've only seen the Rolling Stones one for sale.

as far as I know they're on their way in earnest as this "High Fidelity Pure Audio" format (and not the CD/BD tests that have been ongoing in France) as of mid-May.. as the HMV pre-orders suggest.

I'm tempted to email either of those contacts on that blog post for more info..

[email protected] or [email protected]

...but then why would they bother responding to a pleb like me!?

Maybe you or one of the other QQ-ers with industry links/clout like yourself might get somewhere by emailing them at the links on that blog post in the hope of more info?

Excuse my ignorance, but is this the same thing ? (site deleted by moderator) - NextCD ? ( I read about this months ago )

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/img/avw/docs/56

Link not working....try this one !

http://av.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120!

Not working....go to http://www.ps3.com and scroll down home / news page.

kind of I guess, as it also implies intentions of being a CD replacement of Hi-Rez music on blu-ray.. but I don't know if the technology these Japanese fellows touting has any bearing on these upcoming UMG releases..!? I doubt it.

just had another look and the article on that blog is headed up:
High Fidelity Pure Audio set for launch in April 2013

..so I think the January thing was when it was posted
and the "now" reference in the blurb relates to..
"now" "now" (as its April 2013 now) and not
"now" "then" (while it was still January 2013, I guess?!)

PHEW! :eek:

We're just going to get the same titles ! :(

totally agree, its almost troubling that it seems the first batch will include lots of the "old faithfuls"..

..but with or without surround so far there's pre-orders for things like Supertramp, Stevie Wonder & Bob Marley and the promise of U2 & Abba on this format, so maybe the initial batch will be fleshed out with the same old/same old albums & artists.. but mixed in with some lovely new stuff (and hopefully some new surround mixes).. with more to follow.. (I fear the dreaded 'double dip' opportunity will be milked with this format, if it grows legs)..

..but only time will tell if this is to be the saviour of surround, or just another flop. I'm waiting to see what they come up with before I pass judgement :)

Hope this are 5.1. I have zero interest in paying money for 2 channel music.

With the lack of anything other than stereo outputs on most Blu-ray players these days I'd guess they may not bother with surround.

With the lack of anything other than stereo outputs on most Blu-ray players these days I'd guess they may not bother with surround.

???? DTS HD MA and Dolby Tru HD surround decoding and/or througput via HDMI are featured in an overwhelming majority of BD players.

Last edited:

Blu rays all have HDMI. Surround is a must otherwise it is a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back