HiRez Poll Boulez, Pierre & NY Philharmonic - BARTOK CONCERTO FOR ORCHESTRA

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Pierre Boulze - CONDUCTS BARTOK

• 10: Great Surround, Great Presentation, Great Performance

Votes: 13 59.1%
  • 9:

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • 8:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Presentation, Poor Performance

• Total voters
Well I listened to you guys again and bought my Dutt Voc Bartok from amazon for £12 plus change and so glad I did .
Always wanted a good piece of classical music in surround , never thought I'd hear one. Taken by surprise by the cleanness of the separation of instruments . The music was dynamic , the percussion and brass was delightful. The concerto was a joy to listen to because of the surround elements.
Which brings me to the content . Obviously like the majority I was spoon fed Mozart , Handel etc.
The concerto ( even though I never listened to him ) seemed like good old trusty Beethoven meets Modernist Stockhausen . Wow it was like classical meets Helter Skelter . So with that in mind I will vote 9 . A mark down on the music which was not quite my taste.
If I ever find a Vivaldi Quattro Stagioni as discrete it will blow my mind ! :SB
p.s. The Miraculous Mandarin was obviously not treated to the same techincal wizardry and I soon lost interest . the 9 is for the concerto alone

Well I listened to you guys again and bought my Dutt Voc Bartok from amazon for £12 plus change and so glad I did .
Always wanted a good piece of classical music in surround , never thought I'd hear one. Taken by surprise by the cleanness of the separation of instruments . The music was dynamic , the percussion and brass was delightful. The concerto was a joy to listen to because of the surround elements.
Which brings me to the content . Obviously like the majority I was spoon fed Mozart , Handel etc.
The concerto ( even though I never listened to him ) seemed like good old trusty Beethoven meets Modernist Stockhausen . Wow it was like classical meets Helter Skelter . So with that in mind I will vote 9 . A mark down on the music which was not quite my taste.
If I ever find a Vivaldi Quattro Stagioni as discrete it will blow my mind ! :SB
p.s. The Miraculous Mandarin was obviously not treated to the same techincal wizardry and I soon lost interest . the 9 is for the concerto alone
For the Four Seasons this isn't quite as discrete, but it's pretty good, and the sound might even be better: https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=CDLX7335

Also, you might want to consider Tacet's recording of The Four Seasons which is extremely discrete (as everything they do is): TACET Musikproduktion - english

One of the better orchestral surround mixes I've heard. Wonderful to hear the sections positioned all around you, instead of hearing the more typical 'concert hall ambience' in the rears. I'm not a huge Bartok fan, but may learn to love this music simply due to the presentation. If I could get a version of Holst - The Planets in this kind of totally immersive recording I'd be in heaven!

Thanks, but I have that one. It's a decent recording and performance, but it is only 4.0, meaning there is no subwoofer channel, and the low end is quite weak. If you want a great surround of Holst - Planets I recommend checking out these two:
Previn / London Philharmonic 1974 on CD, DTS encoded ... this is my personal fave. There's also a DVD-A version of it, but it's only 4.0 and is a bit harsh sounding.
Davis / BBC Philharmonic 2011 on SACD, it's only 5.0 but it's great sound

Last edited:
You may be confusing it with this version? The 2022 Dutton-Vocalion SACD of Bernstein's Planets is 4.0 and makes full use of the surround field, like this Bartok disc.
My apologies, you are correct. The Bernstein SACD of Holst is a discrete quad like the Bartok, with orchestral sections heard in the rears, so that's great (I corrected my original post). Strangely, there's no information inside the booklet or back card that describes how the recording was done, unlike the Bartok where they 'show' how the orchestra and mics were laid out. But, unfortunately, neither the Bartok or Holst were reprogrammed to include a subwoofer feed, i.e., 4.1. I would love to have more bottom end from each. The Previn one I note above has awesome full-range low end, though it is a standard 'ambience in rears' recording. The Davis one has a surprisingly good low end, even without a subwoofer channel.

Wow, I didn't realise that this existed. Had the cover featured "The Miraculous Mandarin" instead I would have instantly known! In the late seventies I picked up a Q8 copy of "The Miraculous Mandarin" from the cut-out bin. Not being a classical fan (especially back then) I really loved this release all the same! I just recently purchased the SQ LP along with two other Boulez conducts SQ LP's.

Without even hearing the SACD I'm leaning toward a 10 based on "Miraculous Mandarin" alone. Interesting that many like "Concerto for Orchestra" even more , I will be excited to hear it! I will likely be ordering other Boulez releases at the same time!

Any thoughts on this? Available on HD Tracks. With the Discount Code, price was reduced to about $15. Today I learned that I can play FLAC files through my computer using FOOBAR2000. Found a HDMI cable long enough to reach my receiver. If this works, I need to figure out if I can create FLAC files when burning Blu-ray, SACD, and DVD-A to hard drive. :unsure: Greatly appreciate any advice you might have.
Bartok - Concerto For Orchestra.png

Any thoughts on this? Available on HD Tracks. With the Discount Code, price was reduced to about $15. Today I learned that I can play FLAC files through my computer using FOOBAR2000. Found a HDMI cable long enough to reach my receiver. If this works, I need to figure out if I can create FLAC files when burning Blu-ray, SACD, and DVD-A to hard drive. :unsure: Greatly appreciate any advice you might have.
View attachment 95639
Malkki's Bartok is really good. That said, I'd rather buy from the label directly: eClassical - Bartók - Concerto for Orchestra

Thank you for the link. Actually, eClassical accurately lists the work as 5.0 while HDTracks lists it as 5.1 I checked the peak meter which shows 6 channels, but only 5 producing graphics. The LFE was not in use!
Classical almost never uses the LFE - there's no discrete bass anyway. There's a few exceptions but it's almost always better to let the system manage LFE for acoustic music.

Back