• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Quadraphonic Quad and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Cai's quad collection soon to go.

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vexsmom

Soon Cai's quad collection, as well as all of his 9,000 other record albums, will be in Crossroads Music in Portland, Oregon on commission in the capable hands of Eric Swedberg. It will be be at least a couple of weeks or more. Big job!

Prior to that, I'd be happy to look up anything you are interested in buying. Cai kept a detailed database of his collection. Let me know. Amazing stuff there!:brew
Judie, Cai's mom.

And a big job it will be, grading all of it. As a collector, you don't realize how many records you have until...and you don't really think about it much. The love of the music--and the album--are what fuel your passion.

But beyond the quad titles Cai transferred and talked about, I've always wondered what was in his collection beyond the obvious (Beatles, Stones, Elvis, psych, stuff guys our age got into then and later).

ED :)

9000 records....at approximately 75 per foot when stacked vertically....that's about 120 feet of records....wow...that's alot of stuff

Then you add another 8,000 + CDs, SACDs, DVDAs, DTS, and whatever other formats, cassette tapes, DVD movies, Laserdiscs, collections of memorabilia.....

The collection including all formats, music only, is just under 18,000 items.:spot

18,000 music items....if you play just one title per day, you'll eventually finish in about 49 years....awesome

even if you played 5 titles per day,every day of the year, it's still going to take nearly 10 years...

I understand the big pile... believe me!
I had close to 5000 lps by the time I was 20.

My running joke was "who turned the vinyl into lead" as it
felt like lead every time I moved in my younger years,
carrying all those LPs around with me from apartment to
wherever it was I flopped at the time! :D

Moving them usually required 2 or 3 really pissed off friends
who wondered why I didn't take up stamp collecting!!

-Bob

Actually, of the items taken down so far, Eric says it runs pretty typical of a collection, with about 1/3 being worthless. But as we know, there are probably more gems in there than there are in the average collection. He kept pretty much everything, including those added in his youth when he didn't know so much about grading. I ran across a well-used Mary Poppins that we had when the kids were little. :D

Pretty much all of the Beatles is already in his store, along with about 1,000 other titles. We've taken a couple of loads in the car. QuadTrade tells me that Crossroads Music is already a tourist destination. Portland has a very active music scene.

I do have that Mary Poppins album already myself....:)

Gracious, what a collection! I'm only in the "D"s so far. Do we have contact info for the store with what we want or ?

Right now about 10% of the record collection is in Portland, the rest still in the music room. Another carload will go in a week, then the rest in December. All other formats will remain in the music room for a long time, I think.

So, let me know if there is something you want. I'll check to see if it is here in Seattle. If not, contact Eric at [email protected] or give him a call at the store.

Cai loved this place, so I love seeing items going to the wonderful people here. Thanks for all your support!

I've always wondered what was in his collection beyond the obvious (Beatles, Stones, Elvis, psych, stuff guys our age got into then and later).
So Ed, is your curiosity satisfied? :kitty:

I bet this is wrong but.....
18,000 items at say 1 hour each = 1,080,000 minutes
Say 1 minute of MP3 is 1Mb , so 1,080,000
My IPod holds 80gb so 1,080,000/ 80 = 13,500 Ipods !
My Ipod is 1cm in depth, so 13,500 Ipod woud be be 13,500/100 = 135 meters tall
In terms of disc space, 1,080,000 mb is about 1TB so you could get it on your PC !

So Ed, is your curiosity satisfied? :kitty:

Oh, yes...:):mad:@::D

Yep, as I suspected, Cai collected pretty much the same way I always have...specific things essential, but open to a lot of different styles and genres if the pressing was good and the mood was right (what something might be worth being interesting but not important except for reference). And I'd bet he didn't get rid of much over the years, either--the packrat mentality of the true collector (as opposed to collectors who also sell their dupes or titles they've lost interest in).

In percentage, his collection is lacking in 45's, but that's understandable for someone who grew up when FM started to dominate and albums seemed a better deal than singles (I came up just when 60's AM was riding high, and the 45 collector in me will always be there). Also, as someone who really enjoyed the music--that is, a music lover as well as an audiophile--note that Cai went after choice titles but didn't go nuts, either; he wasn't a Beatles completist, for example. Still, like any collector, if you came across a real choice one and could afford it, y'know....:smokin

I'm sure some of the records will surprise even those who knew him on the board better than myself (the punk titles, perhaps?). But that's a collector for you: never assume their tastes, it can be wide and eclectic--and hidden. I'm sure I have a lot of stuff I've never discussed anywhere, even to my wife (who has watched it fill up the house).

ED :)

Oh, yes...:):mad:@::D

In percentage, his collection is lacking in 45's

He had about 1100 "45s". They are listed as 7". Those in his collection listed as 45s are the audiophile lp kind. That makes the 7" 45s about 10% of the records. Is that smaller than average? I went through one box of 45s just for fun. It was mostly "M"s. Monkees, Mudhoney, Mono Men, Glenn Miller, Wayne Newton, New Riders of the Purple sage. What a range!:smokin

Back