HiRez Poll Camel - AIR BORN: THE MCA & DECCA YEARS 1973-1984 [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Camel - AIR BORN: THE MCA & DECCA YEARS 1973-1984

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Terrible Content, Surround Mix, and Fidelity

• Total voters

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Please post your thoughts and comments on this new MASSIVE new box set from Camel entitled "Air Born: The MCA & Decca Years 1973-1984".

This 32 disc box set contains 27 CDs and 5 Blu-Ray discs.
The Blu-Rays feature the albums "Camel", "Mirage", "Music Inspired by the Snow Goose", "Moonmadness", and "Nude" remixed in 5.1 surround by one of QQ's favorite engineers @Stephen W Tayler

(y):)(n)

81Ysw63v8BL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81IKTAAy3YL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71AHvUqcOvS._SL1200_.jpg

91pU1pZ1p-L._SL1500_.jpg

71nOGYXsfLL._SL1200_.jpg

71VdGorc64L._SL1404_.jpg

camel-nude-1101.jpg

Easiest 10 i’ve ever given
What he said! A definite 10 from me too.

5 superb surround mixes, some wonderful remixed live cds, plenty of remastered albums, 2 video blurays, an excellent book and box, all for a better than fair price from one of my favourite bands. Does life get any better than this set, or is that too dramatic!

I voted 10.
This is truly what should be defined as a historical history audio/video/hard paper of a very dynamic band, underrated to say the least.

Box Set Paper Content: The #1 visual box set in my collection. Absolutely stunning artwork, colors and style. Great reading, awesome full album cover artwork, pictures, and photo memorabilia.
Credit goes to Phillip Lloyd-Smee at Waldo's Design & Dream Emporium.
The Blue & Gold color tones, perfect.

To be honest I never knew of Camel until I became a member of QQ. I have had in my collection for years the Stereo SHM SACD's of The Snow Goose and Moonmadness.

Box Set Audio Content: Wow, all this for a great price compared to many other box sets.

Ripping all Discs: Fairly easy, just takes time. I used my trusty ripper machine and Windows Media Player set to FLAC for the CD's. I used MakeMKV and Music Media Helper for the Blu Ray rips.

CD's 1-27: Very high quality. Dynamic Range probably overall runs in the 8's, 9's, 10's, some tracks higher and lower of course. I have listened to about half so far, put the FLAC rips on a thumb drive and listen in the car. Outstounding sound, top notch, can listen softly or crank it, no problem.

5 Blu Rays (Discs 28-32): Of course this is the meat of the box.
Discs 28, 29, 30 all 24bit/96Khz are 5.1's of 5 albums, with new stereo and original stereo mixes, plus bonus tracks.
The surround mix is sublime, a perfect quality of a beautiful mix that has relaxed myself into a state of enjoyment. I find the surround is musically good for any time of day listening. Mostly very even between the 5 speakers, vocals center, with instruments sometimes trading postions, guitar front, keys back, etc. A perfect mix for me, I never felt I needed to listen hard for something there or not there.
Disc 31 24bit/48Khz a stereo video disc, fun, interesting but a bit repetitive, of course you can change your settings for faux surround.
Disc 32 24bit/48Khz a stereo video disc 1984 Live at Hammersmith Odeon.
Video quality on both these Blu Ray Video discs good.

A very large thank you goes to our own QQ friend Stephen W Talyer, who did the stereo and 5.1 re-mixing of the album Blu Rays, also many of the CD's.
The End: The most beutiful box set in my collection, going to keep it in view for awhile before hiding away as I love looking at it. #1 box set in design ever.
Audio content, exceptional, maybe #1 for 2023, but probaly will be in hot contest for who I thought previously was my choice for 2023.

Please keep Poll Threads to your personal listening experience only.

I could write an essay on how much this box set means to me.

But I'm going to restrict my words to these..

Mix: Just completely outstanding.

Fidelity : Wonderful.

Content: Thoroughly enjoyable

Value: Unbeaten in content and standard of presentation.

Enjoyment: More than I can express.

Thank you to all involved in getting this Box Set released

A Frankincense, Myrrh and Golden 10

ANYTHING less than a 10 would be sacrilege! Although I have yet to wade through those 28 RBCDs, I can say for certain that Mr Stephen W. Tayler has done an absolutely exquisite job of remixing those 5 CAMEL treasures into 5.1. The clarity and immersion is in a word OUTSTANDING!

Last edited:
Just got done listening to all of the 5.1 mixes. Wow! Amazing stuff. Kudos to Stephen W. Tayler for absolutely amazing mixes! I have to admit I had never listened to Camel before purchasing this box-set, but really loving, not only the wonderful mixes, but the music! A '10' from me!

Just got done listening to all of the 5.1 mixes. Wow! Amazing stuff. Kudos to Stephen W. Tayler for absolutely amazing mixes! I have to admit I had never listened to Camel before purchasing this box-set, but really loving, not only the wonderful mixes, but the music! A '10' from me!
Camel is one of those prog bands that are still quite accessible to fans of bands like Pink Floyd. In fact, Andy Latimer reminds me quite a bit of David Gilmour. I just love his playing. Snow Goose is one of my Top 10 favorite albums. I don't regret buying this set one iota.

Back