Chicago Transit Authority 50th Anniversary Remix - A Review

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wagonmaster_91

800 Club - QQ All-Star
QQ Supporter
Since 2002/2003
This marks the 50th anniversary of Chicago's 1st (and best IMO) album when they were still called Chicago Transit Authority. This is one of my all time favorite albums and I bought it when it was originally released. I was junior high school at the time and since then I have heard it hundreds of times. I have also purchased it in nearly every issue since then including the quad LP, DTS and Quadio box.
So, what to do to mark the 50th? The album has already been given the MOFI treatment, DTS and Blu-ray surround versions so no point in doing yet again another "remastering". Nothing left to do but "remix" an album that did not really need a remix.

First off, I am not one of those people that say it is sacrilege to try to improve an old recording to apply modern techniques to make the music sound better. For example, I really like the Beatles remixes, especially the White Album. Those mixes retained the feeling and tone of the original while improving the sound of the instruments with special attention to the drums and bass.

I got to hear the entire remixed CTA album yesterday and I have to say I am shocked. I can honestly say that I have never heard any album with so many things wrong with the sound and the mix. Chicago's engineer, Tim Jessup, did the remix so you would think he would know how instruments are suppose to sound. Apparently not and maybe that is why he not a producer. The sound is so bad I had to stop the recording three times to check to see if there was something wrong with my audio system. I then suspected that what I had was actually a fake, a bootleg or a bad joke played by some hacker, but the reviews on Amazon so far indicate that what I heard is the actual release.

After playing this wreck, I played a different album, just to insure it wasn't my system malfunctioning. Nope, not my fault or my system's - all yours, Mr. Jessup, but also the fault of every member of Chicago and their team. Did none of them actually listen to this? Did none of them have the courage to ask why Tim had made it sound so bad? At least Jim Guercio can claim none of this is his fault.

Across the entire album the horns have been heavily compressed and EQ'ed to remove any top or bottom end. The drums - the toms have no resonance, the snare has no "crack" or "pop" and the cymbals (when you can hear them) sound like trash can lids. All "air" and "ambience" (whether natural studio/room or electronic) has been removed from nearly everything. The sound is thin, tinny, compressed and dull. The whole mess sounds like a very rough mix compressed as a 128kbs mp3 recording on a Certron 77 cent cassette.

I won't go through the whole album, but here are a few observations: On "Introduction", the stereo field has been collapsed to nearly mono and the vocals buried for much of the song. The piano intro for "Does Anybody Really Know..." sounds like it is being played on a toy piano. On the end of the original version of the song "Beginnings", the main part seems to slowly and naturally fade away leaving only the percussion (giving the impression it was underneath the song the whole time - even though it really isn't) and then that percussion jam takes the song out. On the new remix the fade out of the main section and fade in of the percussion is obvious and destroys the illusion that both parts are one piece. The distorted vocals on "South California Purples" have been "fixed". They did not need to be. On "I'm A Man", remember after the drum solo how Kath's guitar chords fade in to bring the song back to the chorus? On the remix, only the first chord (barely) fades in and the rest are played mostly without any fade in. Terry Kath's guitar has been brought more forward and louder in many places throughout the album but in many spots the guitar was probably not intended to be the "main" sound, sometimes being more distracting than adding to the overall sound.

If the point was to make the album have a completely different mix, with things added or subtracted and different instruments emphasized, that's Jessup's and the band's choice to experiment. But it should not result in every instrument and vocal sounding bad. You can change the mix of instruments without destroying their tone and quality.

And I had planned to order the gold vinyl version of this 50th anniversary edition. I'm keeping that $30 in my pocket now.

...and the cymbals (when you can hear them) sound like trash can lids...

I wasn't even aware that this remix was available. Good thing, apparently. The other reviewers on Amazon also blasted this release.

I like your expression regarding cymbals sounding "like trash can lids." I have been looking for a term to describe that kind of sound which I have heard on latter-day CD's all too often. I believe that your term nails it.

WHY OH WHY did Warner/Rhino spend the time redoing a bona fide classic only to royally screw it up? Hate to say it, but I had the identical sinking feeling when Rhino released the DTS 4.0 DVD of CTA a few years ago. It was indeed a trip hearing the album for the first time in surround [never heard the Q8 or SQ Vinyl] but the LOSSY DTS failed to do it for me and I even whipped off an email to RHINO [as did MANY others] inquiring why they hadn't at least released it on LOSSLESS MLP DVD~A 4.0?

IMO, the Chicago QUADIO box set was a revelation. To finally hear the albums in LOSSLESS BD~A was a THRILL.

And instead of releasing for instance the 'promised' DOOBIES QUADIO set, we get this:

61vTZWr9qBL._SL1200_.jpg

Warner and its associated labels have literally DOZENS of pristine QUAD masters languishing in their vaults and there is somewhat of a renaissance in QUAD/5.1/ATMOS music releases and they continue to churn out Anniversary box sets on RBCD and maybe, MAYBE an occasional BD~A. If they really have NO interest in releasing them ...... there is that 'maverick' reissue company in WATFORD, UK who I'm sure will be willing to do so ..... provided RHINO/WARNER doesn't gouge them with outlandish licensing/royalty fees.

Rhino/Warner .......take advantage of this SURROUND RENAISSANCE while the Iron is Hot ....... AND THE IRON'S HOT!

The Beatles are releasing ABBEY ROAD in 5.1/Dolby Atmos on BD~A ..... and what are you releasing: A BOTCHED CTA reissue on RBCD/VINYL!

Last edited:
Hate to say it, but I had the identical sinking feeling when Rhino released the DTS 4.0 DVD of CTA a few years ago. It was indeed a trip hearing the album for the first time in surround [never heard the Q8 or SQ Vinyl] but the LOSSY DTS failed to do it for me and I even whipped off an email to RHINO [as did MANY others] inquiring why they hadn't at least released it on LOSSLESS MLP DVD~A 4.0?

IMO, the Chicago QUADIO box set was a revelation. To finally hear the albums in LOSSLESS BD~A was a THRILL.

Rhino issuing a standalone DVD with a quad mix way back in 2010 (I think it was the first quad reissue they ever did, and maybe their first surround release since the DVD-A days) gave you a "sinking feeling"? I'm willing to bet most of the surround community felt differently. It came out of nowhere, at a time when surround releases were far and few between - I'm still amazed it and Aretha happened.

Have you ever A/B'd the DVD with the Blu-Ray? I find that their differences extend beyond the lossy/lossless factor. As much as I love the Chicago Quadio set (it's one of my favorite surround releases ever), I think the DVD is the better mastering job. In comparison, the Blu-Ray sounds a bit harsher and the vocals seem to get lost in the mix. Looking at the poll thread, it seems others would agree about the buried vocals.

As for Rhino not issuing enough of their quad masters, that we can agree on...

Last edited:
I have to say I respectfully disagree with some of what has been said here:

First off - Rhino issuing a standalone DVD with a quad mix way back in 2010 (I think it was the first quad reissue they ever did, and maybe their first surround release since the DVD-A days) gave you a "sinking feeling"? It came out of nowhere, at a time when surround releases were far and few between - I'm still amazed it and Aretha happened.

Secondly - Have you ever A/B'd the DVD with the Blu-Ray? I find that their differences extend beyond the lossy/lossless factor. As much as I love the Chicago Quadio set (it's one of my favorite surround releases ever), I think the DVD is the better mastering job. In comparison, the Blu-Ray sounds a bit harsher and the vocals seem to get lost in the mix. Looking at the poll thread, it seems others would agree about the buried vocals.

As for Rhino not issuing enough of their quad masters, that we can agree on...

You can respectfully disagree all you want but on my system the Quadio boxset CTA blu ray literally blows the shoes and socks and then some off the Rhino DTS 4.0 DVD. And yes, I was ecstatic when RHINO released it ..... the packaging replicating the original cover with the words QUADRADISC [even though it was originally Columbia SQ] was lovely and all but after hearing the vinyl edition for years on my friends magabuck analogue system I was less than thrilled what I heard coming out of my system. Ironically, I thought the RHINO Aretha Greatest Hits DTS 4.0 actually sounded better.

The BD~A OTOH on my system was revelatory not to mention the extended Bass. And in a few weeks I'm dramatically upgrading my system even further and look forward to making that comparison again. Will report back, Jonathan!

Last edited:
I have just listened to the remix and I was absolutely stunned that this was allowed to be released in it's current form.
Easily the worst sounding CD I have ever heard, everything that did sound great on the original recording has been totally quashed on this remix.
A total screw up.

I have just listened to the remix and I was absolutely stunned that this was allowed to be released in it's current form.
Easily the worst sounding CD I have ever heard, everything that did sound great on the original recording has been totally quashed on this remix.
A total screw up.

Should've enlisted the uber talents of remix genius Steve Wilson whose recent remaster of Chicago II was declared a home run [even though I didn't have the privilege of hearing it].

91lWX1zEuWL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
As a new release, this got a lot of airplay on Chicago's FM underground shows, but none on WLS AM UNTIL 25 or 6 to 4 and Chicago II became hits. The singles Beginnings & Does Anybody... were in heavy rotation once rereleased.

I bought the LP's in April '69. I had already bought a 45 which featured them the year before. Forever Gone (b side of Soul Drippin') by the Mauds credited "brass arrangements - CTA". So, I already knew who they were. http://www.45cat.com/record/72832

IMHO, there are a couple of their albums I prefer. Still, this album would certainly be in my top 100. Beginnings would be my one desert island song, as it is my favorite by anyone.

I've bought this on 2ch LP (x2), SQ LP (x2), MoFi 1/2 speed LP (x2), CBS CD (x2), CBS Gold CD, CD reissue, DVD-V Quadio, & Blu-Ray-A. I like the original 2ch mix and love the Quad mix.

Sad to hear this was botched. Being a Chicago completist, I'll buy this eventually. It was low on my list and now is lower.

As to OK'ing this mix, no doubt it was decided by founding members Jim, Lee, Robert, and Walt, along with Peter Schiavorelli, their Manager. Chicago OWNS the rights to this album. Rhino presses and distributes them.

Did they not hear what all the reviewers heard? Or, was the mix approved by only one or two people?

Sad to hear this was botched. Being a Chicago completist, I'll buy this eventually. It was low on my list and now is lower.

REPLY:
Quad Goddess, you should only accept this as a consolation prize or as a possible holiday stocking stuffer from a BAD SANTA who has deemed you NAUGHTY ..... not NICE!

And in a few weeks I'm dramatically upgrading my system even further and look forward to making that comparison again. Will report back, Jonathan!

Glad to hear that you are doing this upgrade, Ralph. As we age, our hearing goes down the tubes, so best to do the upgrade as soon as possible to extract maximum enjoyment.

Tim Jessup says if you don't think his remix sounds better then you are stuck in the past, don't understand new technology and need to get a life. He posts on facebook:

Tim Jessup writes:

What, exactly, is the Chicago Transit Authority 50th Anniversary Re-Mix?

Yesterday, August 30th, Rhino Records released this long anticipated new version of what we long-time Chicago fans simply refer to as CTA, the 1969 debut double album that became a rallying flag for an entire generation.

It is easiest to begin by telling you what CTA is Not! Unlike previous releases of re-mixes and re-masters of Chicago albums, the CTA 50th Anniversary re-mix is NOT an attempt to digitally re-create what has already been put forth, over and over and over again. What, exactly, would be the point of doing that? ... other than to appease the deranged zealots who religiously believe that the original 1969 version of CTA is perfect just as it is, and cannot possibly be improved upon. To those rare museum curators of rock, I must say... you really need to get a f¥€King life! Technology has changed, ever so slightly, in the past 50 years! As a studio engineer for 45 of those years, I've seen most of those changes. But I'm still decent with a razor blade and remember how to align an Ampex MM1200 tape machine.

For those who mistakenly believe that I am far too young and inexperienced to undertake such a monumental task as re-mixing CTA (yes I've seen their grotesque ignorance on full display over at Hoff..n.com) I am in fact 62 years old, I saw Chicago live for the first time in 1971, and was inspired by their recordings to begin my studio career in 1974. (Do the math) During a lifetime of studio work, I've held staff engineer positions for some of the world's most iconic studios in Hollywood, Burbank, Nashville, New York, and Munich. When the original Chicago band members heard the new re-mix of CTA in the studio on our ATC monitors, they were moved to tears by the level of detail and the organic tonality they were hearing for the first time ever.

In 1969, studios were extremely limited in how they could record, mix and manipulate sound. CBS was no exception. CTA was originally recorded to eight tracks. This limitation profoundly influenced the creative choices that were made and the technical decisions that influenced both the recording process and the mix. For instance, the brass were recorded extremely and unnaturally bright to compensate for the high frequency loss that would occur from bouncing multiple tape tracks together to thicken the horn parts. But the brass wound up sounding unnaturally bright and harsh on the original mix as well. I worked very closely with the Chicago horn section and with mastering engineer Bob Ludwig, a first chair symphonic trumpet player himself, to carefully sculpt the CTA horns to sound as full bodied and as natural as possible. They now have power and a richness previously not heard on any re-mix or re-master. The horns are also now in stereo, left and right, rather than grouped in mono on the left side only. This is not possible to achieve in re-mastering.

More than any other factor, the new CTA re-mix is a brilliant and powerful homage to the genius of guitarist/vocalist Terry Kath. His formerly mono rhythm and power chord tracks are now a Wall of Guitar, presenting from left to right. His solos are now featured in a three dimensional space, with far more clarity, detail and power. His rich baratone vocals are intimate, warm and detailed like never before. Terry's "Free Form Guitar" solo now showcases his full prowess, surpassing anything Hendrix ever thought to do with the instrument. It sounds more like an extreme Tesla experiment about to level an entire city block, with extended low frequencies only playable on CD or high resolution digital formats. Longer jams, such as Liberation and South California Purples rock harder than you've ever heard them before.

The 50th Anniversary re-mix of CTA, unapologetically uses the latest hybrid technology to overcome each of the shortcomings and limitations of the original 8 track recording, track by track. The album is far more of a restoration - than a straight forward re-mix. Each song represents about three days of intense, focused work, far more time and attention to detail than was given the original 1969 mix, and in fact, 500% more production time than the mix budget accommodated. CTA is music history and is inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame. It should not be limited in its forensic restoration and re-mix by a short sighted budget, based solely upon its limited track count. The re-mix was given the full attention such a historical work is entitled to, without regard for budget. (You're Welcome)

Our intention for the CTA 50th Anniversary re-mix, was to overcome all of the limitations that 1969 technology forced upon the recording process and the mix decisions originally made, and present the orignal tracks as if they had been recorded two weeks ago, with all of the detail, size, depth, stereo sound field, intimacy and punch of a modern HD recording. You will hear details you've never noticed in 50 years. Terry's guitar, Danny's drums, Peter's bass, Robert's B3, and the powerhouse horn section, all rock so much harder than ever before. This level of energy is simply impossible to achieve with the limitations of a re-master. It is only possible to attain through a painstaking, highly detailed restoration process. Never before has this process been applied to any classic Chicago re-release.

For those who are firmly stuck in the past and believe that it is somehow sacreligious to "upgrade" the original CTA album with the latest hybrid technology, mixed and mastered at 192 kHz, using only the finest analog hardware from Neve, API, SSL, Manley, Burl Audio, ATC, digital plug-ins from Acustica Audio, Universal Audio and Fab Filter, mastered by living legend Bob Ludwig, and whole-heartedly endorsed by Robert Lamm, James Pankow and Lee Loughnane... well, what can be said of the depths of such prejudice? people will either absolutely love this album, and unfortunately some will totally hate it. But what would be the point of re-mixing any classic album from 1969 if not to transform it, to put it on a pedestal, and to present a level of detail never before heard?

The 50th Anniversary re-mix of Chicago Transit Authority will plug you directly into the raw, unfiltered energy of this young, highly experimental jam band, and rock you harder than you've ever experienced CTA before. Anyone who has a problem with this - seriously needs to get a life.

Enjoy the ride, with Terry Kath firmly at the wheel! Crank up the volume and hold on to something!

So, Tim, with all those years of experience and cool new studio gadgets...why did you make it SOUND so bad?

Tim Jessup says if you don't think his remix sounds better then you are stuck in the past, don't understand new technology and need to get a life. He posts on facebook:
Tim
In all honesty, you protest too much to justify your failings. Nobody enjoys critical reviews but when an f up is so blatant, I humbly suggest to you to take it on the chin and hear the honesty of disappointment.

Someone posted this on "The Forum Which Shall Not Be Named":

"News release from Tim Jessup about the new CTA 50th Anniversary issue.

Breaking: confirmed - CTA has experienced manufacturing “issues” and the CD will be re-pressed. The label will be making an official announcement and will offer to exchange CDs for those who want to. The band has also stepped up to see that, not only does the CD reflect the master, but CTA will also be Mastered for iTunes for excellent streaming. As a “make good” to their fans, the band has also ordered a high definition MQA version of the re-mix. Those who have MQA decoders or the software app to decode, will be able to listen to CTA at 192 kHz/24 Bit, the sample rate it was transferred and mixed at. For many, the current CD is a great listen, but it does not sound like the masters the band had approved, which have far more definition and depth, particularly in the high and low frequency range. Many people have been wondering what happened, as the current disc sounds very midrange heavy. I assure you, the master does not sound like this. Chicago is doing everything in our power to correct this problem, and the label is working with us to make good and ensure that everyone is hearing the re-mix as we are hearing it. To all of Terry’s fans, and Chicago fans everywhere, we’ve got your back on this. Stay tuned. I’ll be posting announcements as the record label issues them, including how to exchange your CD if you wish."

So it just gets weirder.

I did fool with the Blu-ray Quadio mix a bit. I took the left rear channel on both Introduction and Questions 67 and 68 and duplicated it at a lower level in the center channel as I wanted the horns to sound a bit bigger in the room.

Back