Cleaning up the Akai GX-630D-SS QR2R - Oh My!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Here it is, ready for me to screw it all up! (No worries, I have a spare!) :eek:

Start Here.jpg

Back Open.jpg

Guts-1.jpg

Guts 2.jpg

Hi Jon...got myself some deoxit as "cleaning oil", what do you have for "Rubber restorer"? (will venture into my TT soon...)

So my biggest, most obvious issue with this machine is the TAPE/SOURCE switch. It's crap. So when I play a tape I might get 2 or 3 channels working, I flip that switch a few times, and I might get all of the channels working, or I might get 2 or 3 other channels working, so it's either bad or dirty. I doubt that it can be replaced with a new one here 45 years later, but what do you experts think I should do with it?

Just blast it with the juice? Pull it out and scream at it? Before I act I am looking for direction from the experts here.

Akai Switch.jpg

You can spray with DeOxit....if that doesn't do the trick, you can buy a replacement switch or jumper the switch so it is on tape only...
Good Luck :)

"jumpering the switch to TAPE only" is my fall back. I also have the switch in the other machine but that would make that one a "parts only" deal, which might not be a bad thing. Using 2 to make 1 good one.

So my biggest, most obvious issue with this machine is the TAPE/SOURCE switch. It's crap. So when I play a tape I might get 2 or 3 channels working, I flip that switch a few times, and I might get all of the channels working, or I might get 2 or 3 other channels working, so it's either bad or dirty. I doubt that it can be replaced with a new one here 45 years later, but what do you experts think I should do with it?

Just blast it with the juice? Pull it out and scream at it? Before I act I am looking for direction from the experts here.

View attachment 52437
Jon, You're looking for a hole/gap in the body of the switch where you can spray the Deoxit inside and work the switch through it's positions... You may have to come from the back side of the switch. You could try spraying compressed air into the switch first to blow out any dust, and then spray the DeOxit inside and move the switch through it's positions to clean and lubricate the contacts.
David

David,

Thanks. I am pausing until the weekend, but getting that switch out doesn't look very difficult now that I have the face cover off. It looks like it's just the two screws. I will do exactly what you suggest. First the air, then the Deoxit blast.

The D5 is for the switches, and the F5 is for the pots, right?

David,

Thanks. I am pausing until the weekend, but getting that switch out doesn't look very difficult now that I have the face cover off. It looks like it's just the two screws. I will do exactly what you suggest. First the air, then the Deoxit blast.

The D5 is for the switches, and the F5 is for the pots, right?
Yes Jon, you are correct about everything here. The two screws hold it to the case and the D5 is for the switch and the F5 is for the pots. When you unscrew the switch from the case you should be able to gain access to the inside of the switch. Blow it out and flip the switch back and forth. Spray a little D5 inside and work the switch back and forth. Have paper towels ready to wipe up/ catch over spray. It’s a simple and effective repair for exactly the symptoms you described. Also, make note of the orientation of the switch in the case so you don’t mount it upside down when you’re finished. A quick picture or draw a line on one end of the switch and case with a sharpie marker so it goes back in correctly.

David

Looking at the picture closer, that knob may well pull straight off. Then you may be able to lift the foam rubber pad straight off of the switch lever which may expose access to the inside of the switch without having to remove the switch from the case. Probably worth a look first.
David

Thanks for the consult David. I will check it out and report back with pictures and findings. I appreciate the assistance! :bowing:

as far as the pinch roller is concerned. If it's not cracked, hard or mushy. 91% alcohol will do fine. I have never replaced a pinch roller in the fifty years I have had tape decks and I have always used alcohol on the pinch roller without a problem.

Deoxit for everything else.

A one inch soft paint brush and canned air for the dust.

Here's a look at the offending switch, pre-cleaning. I had to take off a side panel of the RTR to get it out, no big deal. About 10 screws.

ED-NOTE TO MIKE: I looked at the switch lever and did not see an allen screw or other method of attachment. I gently pulled on it but I believe it might be pressed into the black section of the switch and did not want to F with it. Good thought though...

PS - It's a bad ass switch. I love looking at the old electronics stuff, all done by hand, probably by guys no longer with us. And look at the way they marked the wires, with little shrink tube type color bands on each conductor, all cut perfectly to size and shrink tubed where they come together. Very neatly done. Pretty classy!

switch 1.jpg

switch 2.jpg

Last edited:
Back