Cleaning Vinyl LPs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never used the snow plow technique. I have always just cleaned my CD-4 records the same as my regular ones, with a sponge in the sink with Dawn detergent and it has worked excellently. As I have written elsewhere, playing CD-4, for me, is no different from playing regular two channel records. Any distortion is extremely rare.

One experience of mine, which may support the snow plow mechanism, is that some of my CD-4 records, which were difficult to play originally (e.g. my copy of Hugo Montenegro's first record), have gotten much better the more they are played, the example I gave, for one. It now plays almost perfectly. Does more and more dirt get scooped out of the carriers in the groove at each playing and I am sweeping that away when I use the Discwasher brush before each play? I think that's it.

Doug

IIRC, the Q-540 PVC (developed for CD-4) had more antistatic compound, part of the problem accidentally solved by Louis Dorren was caused by a static charge attracting dust to the discs.

IIRC, the Shibata scooping action only happens when the cleaning fluid is still on the disc (loosening the "dirt" in the groove).

Kirk Bayne

The thing is, any record groove is "cleaned" by the stylus as the stylus travels through the groove, even without a liquid agent present . That's why various materials end up on the stylus.

Doug

The thing is, any record groove is "cleaned" by the stylus as the stylus travels through the groove, even without a liquid agent present . That's why various materials end up on the stylus.

Doug
Don't know if I am lucky or my Ortofon OM30 stylus is from planet Krypton or that I clean my LPs and stylus every time I play them or that the stylus pressure on my Technics linear TT is very light (1.5 g) but I have never have seen any kind of gunk on my stylus...
Of course I make sure the LPs are cleaned thoroughly, a normal cleaning takes about three wipes and at least 6 KimWipes (2 at a time) and the really dirty ones like these last ones from Spain took way more, I even had to take one of the LPs to the kitchen sink and spray the HELL out of the fine dust with my spray bottle (I don't dare use tap water) until it was gone and the KimWipes still had traces of dust after cleaning it....
yes, you can call me ANAL! LOL!!!

Don't know if I am lucky or my Ortofon OM30 stylus is from planet Krypton or that I clean my LPs and stylus every time I play them or that the stylus pressure on my Technics linear TT is very light (1.5 g) but I have never have seen any kind of gunk on my stylus...
Of course I make sure the LPs are cleaned thoroughly, a normal cleaning takes about three wipes and at least 6 KimWipes (2 at a time) and the really dirty ones like these last ones from Spain took way more, I even had to take one of the LPs to the kitchen sink and spray the HELL out of the fine dust with my spray bottle (I don't dare use tap water) until it was gone and the KimWipes still had traces of dust after cleaning it....
yes, you can call me ANAL! LOL!!!
Sounds like the scrupulous cleaning regimen you do would result in clean styli; but when you do clean stylus, what do you use?

Anal rules! ... :unsure:

My post was not meant to represent a typical occurrence for different users or anything like that. I never have any deposits on my styli either as I keep both records and styli clean but, if left to natural , unmitigated, usage, build up does occur, thus proving that the stylus is scooping out debris as it works, in spite of the fact is it also probably impacting dirt into the groove walls too. All the more reason to be a bit anal with record cleanliness.

Doug

here it is...I have not calculated the accumulated hours but I am guessing I am going to have to get another one in a couple of years since I got this on 2016...
OMP30.JPG

I thought my unobtainium Technics EPC 310MC cartridge had reached its end of life. I played some records and they sounded terrible and one channel seemed like not there. So I took a close look and was horrified to see a large clump of black yuck on the cartridge practically obscuring the cantilever. I had been remiss in cleaning the cartridge for a long time. but not the records. I actually removed the cartridge and sprayed alcohol at it from the rear to the front to blow the crap off followed by duster freon and then the DiscWasher stylus cleaning brush which I like. Started playing perfectly again. I promise to be more careful from now on.

When I cleaned it sounded great again. I think if the tip is too worn it won't track and starts sounding bad. But in a fight between a diamond and vinyl even with some silicaceous dust that might be there. There is no contest. Diamond as you all know is the baddest ass material there is. I think if the diamond doesn't come off the cantilever or the cantilever pulls out because the rubber suspension donut got too old , I think cartridges can last a LONG time.

Back