Click Repair questions - vinyl

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For hum I would check cables and phono, pre, and amp connections, and not want that filtered out. And rumble is not an issue with a good tables and nicer records. Of course 78s are a different story, I can see how they would require some additional work over LPs.

I have one record with hum on it. I was troubleshooting the hum until I noticed that playing another record produced no hum. There is hum on the Dynaco 4D demo record.

I have one record with hum on it. I was troubleshooting the hum until I noticed that playing another record produced no hum. There is hum on the Dynaco 4D demo record.

There's one track on Dora Hall's "Top Teen Tunes" with an absurdly prominent hum in it. Maybe I should see what DeNoiseLF can do with that, especially given what an incredibly important album from an incredibly important entertainer that is!

First thing is to try to prevent them. They might be caused by your turntable not being isolated properly, picking up footfalls and possibly resonances. You might also have a warped record. Summing the bass to mono below about 100Hz can help. Because most records employ mixed bass anyway you won't hear any loss of separation when the bass is summed.

Isolation may be the key. I had two portable HDs on a shelf that my turntables are in. They were being accessed which caused a vibration to the turntable. I moved the drives and the thumps are gone.

Last edited:
Would anyone have suggestions for what to do about thumps? I don't have the patience to examine waveforms at the level that would let me find and fix them in WaveRepair.

Thanks.
This is one of my very best tricks.

Does WaveRepair have a spectral view? If so, grab the section with the thump (or even the whole file) and highlight only from 72Hz down. This is low enough that there really isn't much if any directional info, but above where most thumps occur. Then take the selection and fold it to mono. Most thumps are out of phase from one channel to the other, so summing them reduces or eliminates them. If you just do the whole file it's super easy and in my opinion non-destructive since you said you don't wish to examine waveforms.

Edit: I see par4ken beat me to it.

Back