Combining SACD and DVD-A

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Guy Robinson

I have mentioned this in a few of my posts but I thought that I would officially ask this question of the "masses". What is the feeling about combining the SACD and DVD-A sections? The main title could be "High Resolution Digital Formats - SACD and DVD-A". Within there we would just have; Hi-Rez News, High-Rez Hardware, High-Rez Software Reviews etc etc. I for one think it is time to stop distinguishing. It would show that we don't care about the carrier, just give us the titles. I don't think
that there is any other forum out there that has made this "bold" step.

What do you guys (and gals) think?

Would you rather have the DVD-A section and SACD section combined into a "Hi-Rez" section?

Please give your input...........

I agree! We should have a unified front to present to the powers that we want more titles in either format. We should all stop bickering on what is best, and enjoy what there is. Now that there are decent combo players out in the market, it should be time to join forces on demamding MORE MUSIC!!!!!

I realize that here's not a huge volume of releases either way, but I still think it's best to keep the sections seperate. The point about hybrid players is valid, but until they start doing hybrid discs, combined DVD-A/SACD(and I think we know how likely this is), they are still different formats.

I see all the points here but it is kind of funny what happens to your point of view once you start using a universal player. You stop thinking of the discs as different formats. A few times people have asked me about discs and I actually have to think a bit before I remember whether the disc in question was SACD or DVD-A. You start thinking about which discs sound better or worse in relationship with others that you have regardless of the format. Maybe this idea is too early but I think that once Universal Players come down in price and perceived quality of these players approach that of single-format players they will start to sell like hot cakes and the general public will also stop thinking of different formats and they will just buy wnhatever disc they want, insert the disc and play it. The last few DVD-A discs that I have acquired start automatically without the video menu even being accessed. How about if we change the requeat to leaving the software reviews separate and combine the Hardware and News sections?

Interesting proposition...

Since we do strive to de-empasize the formats, it does seem a tad strange to have different sections for the varying formats. But we cater to a wide variety of individuals with varying interests. If we start combining sections, I think it will make the site harder to navigate for those readers who want to access very specific information.

If we start combining sections, where do we stop? Since DTS CD's can be played on universal players, do we lump them in there too? If we're really going to be format-blind, shouldn't we just lump everything together, including 8-track tapes?

I dunno, I kind of like it the way it is. Also, I feel that if we combine the two hi-rez digital formats into one section, it will invite more format "debates" (the very thing we are trying to avoid).

I say keep it the way it is. It is clear to me that DVD A offers more than SACD, and is a different product. However, I like 'em both. As far as sonically, they are about the same. I don't have a shakti stone so I can't tell a diference. He He!

The Quadfather

Back