Coming mini "Black Box" Pre amp Master!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Soo.. being special special, what are the dimensions in say, Pico leagues?
( I'll settle for MM in a pinch ...)

I'm about to order a walnut side panel enclosure to house my two two-channel amps, and want it to match the total width of the new SM and the pre, when sitting side by side. The two Involve pieces will sit underneath, to allow the amp to breathe and not spit roast the decoder/preamp..
:)
WHOOOOPS!!!!!

I stuffed up, must have gone to sleep in a meeting. It turns out the good ol blue eyed monster will stay in the existing box.

The dimensions are 65 mm wide, 65 mm deep (allow say 60 mm for wire and connectors) and 58 mm high

I'm not quite understanding....currently the SMv3 and Amp Master (AMv1) are 165x190x58. Is that what the mini preamp will be?

And is the AM still getting bigger or is it now staying the same?
Whooh
I really do not know what kinda drugs I was on the day I posted those numbers, just checked my SM2 and you are correct and the pre amp is the same. The mini monster amp will be 1 cm higher (allow 70 mm), so will be the step up box for the desk top electrostatic speakers.

Truth is I am under constant interrupt all day and it can throw my numbers!!

Hello @chucky3042! Just a bump on the Mini Pre Amp. Any news or pics I can enjoy whike looking forward to the availability of the unit?
Hi LB-V
Things are ploughing along, The mechanics are ready to go, electronics and PCB designed but the big holdup is the de clicking software. We are doing a lot of research into it and trying to get the best result, its not easy stuff. Give us a few more months and I am sure it will be in production. Here are some views of it!
20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.67.png
20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.62.png

20211013 Minipreamp_RENDER_1.65.png

How does the DNR function work (~50 years ago, Philips developed their DNL [Dynamic Noise Limiter] for the compact cassette system [competition for Dolby B] and later National Semiconductor developed their similar Dynamic Noise Reduction system - both systems use a dynamically adjusting low pass filter)?

Kirk Bayne

Last edited:
How does the DNR function work (~50 years ago, Philips developed their DNL [Dynamic Noise Limiter] for the compact cassette system [competition for Dolby B] and later National Semiconductor developed their similar Dynamic Noise Reduction system - both systems use a dynamically adjusting low pass filter)?

Kirk Bayne
I reckon they'll be using some fancy autocorrelation to extract the signal from the noise!

Kirk Bayne
Hi kfbkfb

I remember the whole Philips DNL / Dolby B debate well. Philips wanted to retain total universal compatibility of the compact cassette format and Dolby B did not do that. DNL was basically a dynamically level adjusted low pass filter. What we are doing is similar but multiband incorporating dual slope attack/ decay characteristics. Like in the surround master the real trick is in the choice of parameters and in what circumstances its activated. Done well the listener will not hear any downsides (like pumping etc).

Back