Commercial Matrix Quadraphonic Cassettes?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried something similar recently - I recorded some of the Dolby Surround test signals from my Delos test CD - type 1 tape, Dolby B on, played back with Dolby B off, (original) DPL - imaging was good, maybe DPL is more robust than QS or SQ?

I'd be interested in the result with QS/SQ encoded music or test signals (record: type 1 tape + B on, play: B off) played through a no logic decoder and then a logic decoder (probably variable matrix).

Kirk Bayne
Back in the days when I thought cassettes were cool, I dubbed a few SQ recordings with my h-k deck, and as I recall, they played back OK on the same deck. The need for accurate azimuth matching between record and playback decks (heads) always seemed like it could be a serious problem, though.

Anyone tried QS or SQ decoding with a Dolby B NR encoded QS or SQ encoded cassette with no NR decoding (does the level dependent frequency response of Dolby B NR confuse the decoder)?
Back in the days when I had a Tascam 4-track Portastudio I managed to create some recordings from a few of my quadraphonic vinyl records utilising it's dbx noise reduction system.

Although the results were pretty good it was nothing more than an novelty, as I couldn't see a time when I would use it very often...

Back in the days when I thought cassettes were cool, I dubbed a few SQ recordings with my h-k deck, and as I recall, they played back OK on the same deck. The need for accurate azimuth matching between record and playback decks (heads) always seemed like it could be a serious problem, though.
Sony built decks that were supposed to be good for recording and playback of SQ. I don't know if they simply took extra care with azimuth adjustment or if the azimuth was somehow easily adjustable to accommodate tapes made on other machines.

Maybe it was just a marketing gimmick. Tapes made on one machine obviously would playback fine on the same machine. There must be a vintage article or test report in an old magazine somewhere regarding these decks.

Edit: looking back Fizzy posted about a "Symphase" deck from Sony. There has to a article or review about it somewhere.

Last edited:
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1976-10.pdf#page=14
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1976-11.pdf#page=20
AFAIK, this project by Decca Records was the first time a big record company evaluated the whole prerecorded cassette manufacturing process, skimming the articles now, I didn't notice a specific mention of azimuth errors in the compact cassette system and late 1976 was at the tail end of the Quad era, so preserving matrix quad encoding was probably low on their priority list.

edit:
Minimizing azimuth errors is mentioned as a priority.

The only prerecorded cassette I ever special ordered was a Decca cassette produced using the above described manufacturing process (IIRC, something with some music from the movie Psycho - the violins play suddenly and are loud and clear with uncommon fidelity for cassettes).

http://www.anaxwaves.com/DDiCodec/(software Dolby B NR decoder - has azimuth correction)

Anyway...back to the regularly scheduled thread...

Kirk Bayne

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1976-10.pdf#page=14
https://www.worldradiohistory.com/Archive-All-Audio/Archive-Audio/70s/Audio-1976-11.pdf#page=20
AFAIK, this project by Decca Records was the first time a big record company evaluated the whole prerecorded cassette manufacturing process, skimming the articles now, I didn't notice a specific mention of azimuth errors in the compact cassette system and late 1976 was at the tail end of the Quad era, so preserving matrix quad encoding was probably low on their priority list.

edit:
Minimizing azimuth errors is mentioned as a priority.

The only prerecorded cassette I ever special ordered was a Decca cassette produced using the above described manufacturing process (IIRC, something with some music from the movie Psycho - the violins play suddenly and are loud and clear with uncommon fidelity for cassettes).

http://www.anaxwaves.com/DDiCodec/(software Dolby B NR decoder - has azimuth correction)

Anyway...back to the regularly scheduled thread...

Kirk Bayne

Those Classical DECCA France(S.F.N.O.) QS quadraphonic cassettes would be a worthy contender, for their superior quality.
Many were also released in the U.S. on The Peter's International label , I have one QS release but it's the vinyl edition. I wrote to Sound Concepts asking if they had a listing of Record Companies that issued quad matrix encoded cassettes and they mentioned both Decca France and Peter's International , as well as the well known labels , Angel, Seraphim , Conniosseur Society , VOX etc.

By the late 70's , and maybe even earlier , the quality of the compact cassette began to appear .
I'm certain that was to appease the many audiophiles, like me who found the cassette had improved in sound quality making the audio medium a contender to well pressed vinyl products.
I have a fair number of BMG/RCA cassettes with all sorts of improvements in the field of noise reduction and hiss , all of which i purchased because of their Dolby Surround encoding .
But not just RCA cassettes but also CBS/SONY , Intersound Pro Arte , Telarc,
EMI , and a few others. All because they also incorporated a Surround technology .

I looked at the owner's manual for the Sony TC-203SD that Fizzy pointed out in Post 60 and can find no mention of it's "Symphase Recording". I wonder if it was a real thing or something that the advertising department just cooked up. But I do recall reading about it before. Whether it was on only one model or the entire line I can't recall. I also can't recall if it was an article that I read, a test report or just a Sony advertisement.

The manual does mention its "Ferrite and Ferrite" head and the importance of keeping the head clean.

While full details of this deck are of little actual importance today, it is bugging me, I want to know! One feature that I do like about the TC-203SD was set up to use Ferri-Chrome tape. I used Ferri-Chrome tape for all my important recordings until they stopped producing it. I forgotten that it was available that early (1972).

https://www.worldradiohistory.com/A...idelity/80s/High-Fidelity-1981-02.pdf#page=55(some discussion of azimuth)

https://www.cassettedeck.org/panasonic/rs-260usMy cassette deck from 1974 to 1980 [still have it]

I bought a few prerecorded cassettes each year just to check on their quality, I don't recall them sounding dull, azimuth seemed ok (I just had 1 or 2 matrix quad cassettes - a Radio Shack Stereo-4 demo and an Angel XDR demo[SQ?] - haven't listened to them w/DPL or Hafler yet).

Kirk Bayne

And a few more .....

EMI , two Classical and...... Columbia CBS..Santana LOTUS.
All SQ Encodes of course.

17044737680743397023019651952313.jpg

Now for something different.....

Lionel Hampton -Live Hamp! SQ encoded ..one of three , which DigIt Records/Sony released on tape...this one on HI-8.

I think I paid about $10.00 as it was found in a clearance bin at a video tape rental outfit....and I do not have a HI-8 player. But it's a nice SQ curio from the 80's , in this case 83.

They (Ruggles Reber)had two others released thru Sony , never saw them , but I did see the advert for all 3 , ...24 minutes approximately Bill Watrous , and Rob McConnell in a U.S. audiophile magazine sometime in the latter 80's.
All three were available in VHS HIFI , BETA HIFI , and HI-8.

17044755572122317540640972237831.jpg

TODAY I just produced and released a #QuadraphonicCassette #QuadCassette (QUARK/Regular Matrix/QS/Involve/DLPII compatible). We created a special cassette case for it too; all top quality paper with no adhesive.

Also available at IAA/Immersive Audio Album in Atmos (and everywhere else).

Question: Anyone know when was the last commercial quad cassette released???

For those in LA:
To celebrate the release, THIS Sunday, March 24th at 1pm Arthur King (Peter Walker+me) are doing an improvised wireless (AIAIAI) #quad performance at The Row in downtown Los Angeles.

More info & links here
#QUARK #MakeMusicInSpace

Attachments

• RedTurtle_ROW_Flyer_IG.jpg
    RedTurtle_ROW_Flyer_IG.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 0
  • AK-UMN_The Red Turtle-Cover Down-crop_1080.jpg
    AK-UMN_The Red Turtle-Cover Down-crop_1080.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 0
I looked at the owner's manual for the Sony TC-203SD that Fizzy pointed out in Post 60 and can find no mention of it's "Symphase Recording". I wonder if it was a real thing or something that the advertising department just cooked up. But I do recall reading about it before. Whether it was on only one model or the entire line I can't recall. I also can't recall if it was an article that I read, a test report or just a Sony advertisement.

The manual does mention its "Ferrite and Ferrite" head and the importance of keeping the head clean.

While full details of this deck are of little actual importance today, it is bugging me, I want to know! One feature that I do like about the TC-203SD was set up to use Ferri-Chrome tape. I used Ferri-Chrome tape for all my important recordings until they stopped producing it. I forgotten that it was available that early (1972).

See Uniphase

When I worked at Acorn Computers between 1990 and 1992 there were two Nakamichi Dragon decks in the lab. I never saw them being used. I have always assumed they were left over from recording software to cassette in the 1980s on the Acorn Atom and BBC Micro etc.

Last edited:
Back