Convert SQ LP... any updates?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grant wooldridge

hey there. I went to Dark Side at the planetarium in Brisbane recently... i dont know what the music source was, i guess it was attached to the visuals, but it was definitely quadraphonic of some sort... Anyway, it got me inspired, so i pulled out my old LP which is SQ, as i had heard in the past that you can decode... So i came across these forums, signed up, found some instructions, digitised the LP. got Adobe Audition, got to the point of running the script... and then it stopped, as they only worked on prior versions which cannot be obtained... I saw an audio page which has some software for about $90 which it says will decode, but i also read that SQ only had about 3db of separation anyway... so after 5 hours of googling i gave up.... but then i was approved to post on here, so i'd thought i would ask, did anyone come up with a method such as the old method of using audition, with a script? I'd still like to try it... (-: thanks!

hey there. I went to Dark Side at the planetarium in Brisbane recently... i dont know what the music source was, i guess it was attached to the visuals, but it was definitely quadraphonic of some sort... Anyway, it got me inspired, so i pulled out my old LP which is SQ, as i had heard in the past that you can decode... So i came across these forums, signed up, found some instructions, digitised the LP. got Adobe Audition, got to the point of running the script... and then it stopped, as they only worked on prior versions which cannot be obtained... I saw an audio page which has some software for about $90 which it says will decode, but i also read that SQ only had about 3db of separation anyway... so after 5 hours of googling i gave up.... but then i was approved to post on here, so i'd thought i would ask, did anyone come up with a method such as the old method of using audition, with a script? I'd still like to try it... (-: thanks!
Hello Grant! Pleased to meet you.
Big fan of Adobe Audition and Pink Floyd but I must ask: do you know there are multiple versions of DSotM in legit retail digital discrete surround? Highly recommended.

Last edited:
What version of Audition did you get? Nothing after V3 supports scripting AFAIK? V3 was available to be freely downloaded some time back?
it seems adobe pulled are prior editions... so yeah impossible to get one that supports that type of scripting that i found on the forums....

Hello Grant! Pleased to meet you.
Big fan of Adobe Audition but I must ask: do you know there are multiple versions of DSotM in legit retail digital discrete surround? Highly recommended.
hey there Wiz, like a dolby set up? I dont have a dolby set up i was going to play via my PC via an audio interface that has 4 outputs, and set up 2 amps (-: I was also curious to hear the original LP decoded.... i have a dolby amp gathering dust that someone gifted me, i think that is probably the only option, to one day get some speakers for it and set it up, and purchase one of the versions out there.... The quadrophonic version i head (that is touring Australia right now) sounded like true discrete Quad, not dolby with rear speakers as effects... i wonder what version that would be? I saw there was a 40th anniversary pack with all sorts of mixes....

Yes no doubt you are right: what you heard at the planetarium was true discrete surround sound. Unfortunately of course your SQ LP is not.

When talking about surround sound for music, DD doesn't really jump to mind.. There are quite a few live performances on DVD & maybe some other examples but it's not the format of choice given alternatives.

Way back in '96 Alan Parsons released On Air as DTS CD. For us quaddies it was a revelation. No tape hiss, no record noise, no CD-4 LP break ups. Just clean true discrete surround. Since then superior formats evolved like Super Audio Compact Disc (SACD) and DVD Audio (DVD-A) and with the advent of the Blu-ray medium there's a lot of good stuff being released in Blu-ray Pure Audio. Some of us right now are waiting on the latest surround release of Prince's Diamond & Pearls:

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...ve-material-and-videos-october-27-2023.34760/
To play these from a disc spinner you must have compatible output with what ever is on your amp/receiver. If the player only has MCH analog out the receiver must have analog inputs. If the player only has HDMI outs, the receiver must have HDMI inputs.

DSotM was remixed by James Guthrie in 2003 and released on SACD. There is the gigantic & expensive box set you mentioned with both the Guthrie & original Parsons mix in it. I have not purchased it. I have the original SQ LP (played back thru the Surround Master v2), the Guthrie SACD, and a DVD-A of the original Parsons mix. With all of this if I get the itch to listen to this album again I can certainly scratch it.

Last edited:
cool. So your sound system has an amp with double identical transistors, and you have 4 x matching speakers? So not the typical surround sound set-up? is that right? That would be fun doing your own quad mixes...

Back