Curious to know...

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
I read somewhere that 2 songs on Sly & The Family Stones Greatest Hits on Q8 had only been previously released in Mono, and that they only exist in 4 channel format on this one album - and have not been released in Stereo.

Which songs are they? :mad:@:

Q-Eight said:
I read somewhere that 2 songs on Sly & The Family Stones Greatest Hits on Q8 had only been previously released in Mono, and that they only exist in 4 channel format on this one album - and have not been released in Stereo.

Which songs are they? :mad:@:

Until the sq quad release of Sly & the Family Stone's Greatest Hits L.P., three songs---Everybody's a Star", "Hot Fun in the Summertime", and "Thank You...."---were previously only available in rechannelled "fake" stereo. Playing back this quad version through a stereo set-up results in a superior, authentic stereo mix.

Newly mixed stereo versions of these songs have been included on a recent remastered cd of this title. But from what I have heard, the new stereo mixes sound almost mono and inferior to the original quad fold-down mixes.

zabble said:
Until the sq quad release of Sly & the Family Stone's Greatest Hits L.P., three songs---Everybody's a Star", "Hot Fun in the Summertime", and "Thank You...."---were previously only available in rechannelled "fake" stereo. Playing back this quad version through a stereo set-up results in a superior, authentic stereo mix.

Newly mixed stereo versions of these songs have been included on a recent remastered cd of this title. But from what I have heard, the new stereo mixes sound almost mono and inferior to the original quad fold-down mixes.

By Rechannelled "Fake" stereo - what do you mean by that? Is that the old '60s style deal where they just doubled the mono signal and added a slight time delay to one of the channels? I know they did that to a lot of Buddy Holly songs.

Q-Eight said:
By Rechannelled "Fake" stereo - what do you mean by that? Is that the old '60s style deal where they just doubled the mono signal and added a slight time delay to one of the channels? I know they did that to a lot of Buddy Holly songs.

That's pretty much it. When stereo first hit big, record companies wanted to cash-in with stereo versions of their mono releases. Some labels--instead of remixing albums into stereo from the multi-tracks, would double the mono signal and apply different EQ and/or effects to each channel to simulate real stereo (kinda like what Silverline has been doing---making "multi-channel tracks" from stereo tracks).

zabble said:

The new mixes are wide & not close to mono. They sound just fine, but ARE different than the quad mixes.
The rechanneling was bass on the left, treble on the right.

Back