Daft Punk - Random Access Memories in Atmos

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To be fair - I've only been able to listen to a 5.1 downmix of the 360 (sans height channels) - but even still I don't think that was a compelling factor...
I have an opinion that decoding the formats provide a better experience than just listening to the base layer 5.1, even if you are listening with only a standard 5.1 setup. It is not a huge difference and just a preference. I didn't have an option for a while before I was able to decode the two formats.

edit...
Now that I think about it you must have decoded the 360. I will have to compare it to the Atmos when I get a chance!

Last edited:
The 360RA and Atmos mixes are wildly different. I've seen differences before when 2 albums are released in both formats, but these differences are wild. They are both good, however the 360RA, as with many 360RA mixes, it's too freaking loud in some parts. Get Lucky has a jarring part in the surrounds @ around the 3:30 mark that was so annoying I had to turn it off. So far I enjoy the Atmos version better. Yes it's a more subtle mix, but still very active. I remember reading a while back that Dolby enforces a strict LUFS setting (-18?) as a standard - or something like that. It seems like 360RA is bringing back the "loudness wars" for multi-channel audio, while Dolby is giving the volume control back to the listener.

The 360RA and Atmos mixes are wildly different. I've seen differences before when 2 albums are released in both formats, but these differences are wild. They are both good, however the 360RA, as with many 360RA mixes, it's too freaking loud in some parts. Get Lucky has a jarring part in the surrounds @ around the 3:30 mark that was so annoying I had to turn it off. So far I enjoy the Atmos version better. Yes it's a more subtle mix, but still very active. I remember reading a while back that Dolby enforces a strict LUFS setting (-18?) as a standard - or something like that. It seems like 360RA is bringing back the "loudness wars" for multi-channel audio, while Dolby is giving the volume control back to the listener.
This is super interesting. I have Amazon Music HD, which while it plays both Atmos and RA360 seems to default to RA360 so I can’t actually hear the Atmos version.

(I actually do also have a trial version of Apple Music but can’t get it to stream to my Sony TV/soundbar, so I haven't yet been able to hear any of the Atmos mixes)

Weird. I would have thought they (Daft Punk themselves) would have had better control over their catalog, but I literally just heard one of their songs on a Reese's Pieces commercial, so looks like this is a record company cash grab. This makes about as much sense as Metallica without guitars.

Dumb question forgive me if I missed this being discussed elsewhere is there any chance that random Access memories Atmos would be released in a physical media either Blu-ray through more mass production or maybe I should say Mass distributors like either on their website or Amazon or which I would be perfectly happy to continue buying from from Paul's sde shop? I don't do streaming but I'd really love to have a hard copy of the atmos of one of my favorite albums. Thanks for any advice or info

Dumb question forgive me if I missed this being discussed elsewhere is there any chance that random Access memories Atmos would be released in a physical media either Blu-ray through more mass production or maybe I should say Mass distributors like either on their website or Amazon or which I would be perfectly happy to continue buying from from Paul's sde shop? I don't do streaming but I'd really love to have a hard copy of the atmos of one of my favorite albums. Thanks for any advice or info

Unfortunately you haven't missed anything. Not a peep from anybody regarding a physical release.

To be fair - I've only been able to listen to a 5.1 downmix of the 360 (sans height channels) - but even still I don't think that was a compelling factor...
Actually, I've got to say... After finally being able to compare both versions in 'proper' 5.1.4 - the 360RA version seems to actually match the same channel map as the Atmos as far as I can tell?

I'm not sure what was happening before with the converter? But there were some wonky things going on that changed the mix... 🤷‍♂️

Anyway very nice to hear this, and in slightly better quality...

Great album, and a great mix... :phones

I have… low expectations for this considering they do a live stream mostly playing tracks from RAM on YouTube every two weeks or so… but the social media channels for Daft Punk seem to be hyping up a stream on twitch in an hour and 21 minutes from time of posting. The photo included features Leiji Matsumoto, director of the feature length music video Interstella 5555, a full anime adaptation of their second album, Discovery. If the photo is any indication of what the stream would be, I assume something with respect to a Discovery anniversary will be announced

I have… low expectations for this considering they do a live stream mostly playing tracks from RAM on YouTube every two weeks or so… but the social media channels for Daft Punk seem to be hyping up a stream on twitch in an hour and 21 minutes from time of posting. The photo included features Leiji Matsumoto, director of the feature length music video Interstella 5555, a full anime adaptation of their second album, Discovery. If the photo is any indication of what the stream would be, I assume something with respect to a Discovery anniversary will be announced

RATS!!
Thanks abunch for the link. I was really looking forward to checking it out. I followed the X link to twitch & when Daft Punk went live I got this:

1708641011010.png

And absolutely no audio! It was not on mute. It was not on pause. And as soon as I clicked over to YT the audio was fine.

Maybe you can fill me in on what I missed. News of Discovery?

RATS!!
Thanks abunch for the link. I was really looking forward to checking it out. I followed the X link to twitch & when Daft Punk went live I got this:

View attachment 102002

And absolutely no audio! It was not on mute. It was not on pause. And as soon as I clicked over to YT the audio was fine.

Maybe you can fill me in on what I missed. News of Discovery?
you missed nothing, it was a countdown to the start of the stream... which is just Interstella 5555 in full. Looks perhaps slightly sharper than the blu ray, but also looks like it had an AI attack it, so... maybe not worth the tradeoff.

Here's a Billboard article on the event: https://www.billboard.com/music/mus...estream-daft-punk-day-february-22-1235612660/

you missed nothing, it was a countdown to the start of the stream... which is just Interstella 5555 in full. Looks perhaps slightly sharper than the blu ray, but also looks like it had an AI attack it, so... maybe not worth the tradeoff.

Here's a Billboard article on the event: https://www.billboard.com/music/mus...estream-daft-punk-day-february-22-1235612660/
I will note their site has updated to feature this twitch stream front and center, and their RSD release for this year is the single "Something About Us" with a cover featuring art from the film. https://www.daftpunk.com/
https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/17508

So they seem to be pushing the film as part of whatever plans (if there are any) that they have for Discovery

Thanks!
I have the Blu-ray of this & I'm pretty happy with the image quality. But the audio is so lacking in potential. The 5.1 track actually sounds so boring I take the 2 ch mixdown & play it through the Surround Master. Better but an original pro surround sound mix could do so much more.

Because of your info I just sampled a bit the movie on Twitch. Now it's in my brain & I'll have to watch all of later tonight.

Back