David Gilmour- On an Island 5.1 in the Works

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zabble

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
Since 2002/2003
Check out the March Sound and Vision Magazine interview with David Gilmour:

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=1325

"Had you given any thought to recording the new album in surround sound?
We did, actually. My initial intention was to release it in 5.1 at the same time as the CD, but we won't get around to finishing the mix until the tour and the summer holiday are over. We recorded all of the drums and orchestral stuff in surround. While I do like to keep the rhythm section more or less in stereo, I tend to bring some of the more fluid things — voices, keyboard textures — around from the front to the sides for a much wider effect. You have to get a feeling for the sounds that are possible and natural enough for your brain to deal with. I don't like to put too many instruments behind the listener."

:banana:

The dancing banana is for everything but the last sentence :( .

Try it with your "processor" (NEO6, DPLII, Tate) on the (stereo) CD. It gives already a hint how it could become.

Ge Someone said:
Try it with your "processor" (NEO6, DPLII, Tate) on the (stereo) CD. It gives already a hint how it could become.

I listened to it through the Tate last night. It sounds really good in the surround setting, especially the opening "song". Every channel is filled with discrete info.

The interviewer blew his opportunity to ask Gilmour about the rest of the Pink Floyd 5.1 releases. When are we gonna get 'em? :confused: They sure stayed on the subject of surround long enough to enable a segue.

If this is happening I am sorry I bought the CD now. The same thing happened with "Smile" when they followed the CD with the concert of Smile. After I bought the DVD I didn't listen to the CD again.

Please see my post in the "Off Topic" section - Dave Gilmour in Concert. There is a link to the BBC webcast. Hurry - it ends on 25 March.

Thanks Guy's;)

I am glad I read this before I made the purchase. It was on my "to buy" list.
Now, I'll just sit back and wait for the 5.1 :smokin

From Neptune Pink Floyd:

"David Gilmour's 3rd solo album On An Island is to be re-released along with a bonus DVD on 20th November 2006 across Europe and 21st November 2006 in America. There will be no new mix of the original album."

I assume this means that the 5.1 mix has been nixed.

From Neptune Pink Floyd:

"David Gilmour's 3rd solo album On An Island is to be re-released along with a bonus DVD on 20th November 2006 across Europe and 21st November 2006 in America. There will be no new mix of the original album."

I assume this means that the 5.1 mix has been nixed.

I'd say you are right. I can't see a third version of this being released. Again, dopey record companies!:mad:

From the New Release sell sheet:

LIMITED EDITION version now available with CD, deluxe book and DVD featuring " Take A Breath" from Royal Albert Hall plus AOL Sessions and Abbey Road Sessions including 7 tracks:

1. On An Island
2. This Heaven
3. Smile
4. Take A Breath
5. High Hopes
6. Comfortably Numb
7. Astronomy Domine

DVD content shot in HD

No mention of DD 5.1 or DTS

Does this also eat into the live DVD we're supposed to get? Are we not getting it now?:mad:

The Deluxe version is a typical 4th quarter move for all the major labels where they take their hit albums and re-release them with some sort of bonus content to suck more $$$ out of the fan base. If there is a live DVD in the works then I imagine that it will still come out at some time - even if it repeats some of the tracks - they will go to the well as many times as possible to exploit the willingness of fans to shell out the bucks.

The Deluxe version is a typical 4th quarter move for all the major labels where they take their hit albums and re-release them with some sort of bonus content to suck more $$$ out of the fan base. If there is a live DVD in the works then I imagine that it will still come out at some time - even if it repeats some of the tracks - they will go to the well as many times as possible to exploit the willingness of fans to shell out the bucks.

Thus we have the difference between when music lovers ran record companies rather than the bean counters of today. :(

Quote from the David Gilmour we site

http://www.davidgilmour.com/

If you want to see the New York sessions free, they are still available at AOL Sessions. Check the 'Sessions Archive' section. If you have already purchased On An Island and want just the live DVD, we have arranged to make a limited quantity available via this Web site from the day of release – more details soon. Songs performed at the AOL Sessions were On An Island, This Heaven, Smile, Take A Breath, High Hopes, and Comfortably Numb.

It looks to me like you will not have to re-buy just for the bonus DVD.

isnt the web a wonderful thing !!!:banana: :banana: :banana:

Back