• QuadraphonicQuad welcomes you and encourages your participation! Treat all members with respect. Please keep all discussions civil, even when you have a strong opinion on a particular topic.

Do not offer for free, offer for sale, offer for trade, or request copies or files of copyrighted material - no matter how rare or unavailable to the public they might be. We do not condone the illegal sharing of music. There are many places on the internet where you can participate in such transactions, but QuadraphonicQuad is not one of them. We are here to encourage and support new multichannel releases from those companies that still provide them and as such the distribution of illegal copies of recordings is counter-productive to that effort. Any posts of this sort will be deleted without notification.

Please try to avoid discussions that pit one format against another. Hint for new users: make liberal use of the search facilities here at QuadraphonicQuad. Our message base is an incredibly rich resource of detailed information on virtually all topics pertaining to surround-sound. You will be surprised at what you can find with a little digging!

HiRez Poll Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD [DVD-A]/[SACD-JAPAN]

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

Rate the DVD-A of Deep Purple - MACHINE HEAD

• Total voters

keywhiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I have the UK quad mix. I like it a lot.

The three bonus tracks are in 5.1. Those are the same mix as the DVD-A I presume?

quicksrt

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Wow. This has GOT to be the most confusing thread Iā€™ve ever read here!

And none of those links to the threads of other versions work.
It's a fine thread, it's only that Jon's introductory post states a quad mix that this thread is not about. Where it should be stated that there are two (US & UK) quad mixes, and this thread is not concerning either of them.

keywhiz

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
It's a fine thread, it's only that Jon's introductory post states a quad mix that this thread is not about. Where it should be stated that there are two (US & UK) quad mixes, and this thread is not concerning either of them.
Thanks! That cleared it all up for me! :ROFLMAO:

HDave

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Time to correct this vote of Machine Head being in the first batch of DVD-AUDIO disc's I bought in 2001 (Core, BSS, L.A. Woman all Std. Jewel box). This title I've owned on Vinyl, 8 Track, Cassette and CD in that order and my vote of 10 had definite sentimental leanings, the first 8 track gifted to me on Xmas "72" along with a new reciever with built-in player.šŸ˜
So Value 2.5 for the different guitar solos compared to the Stereo versions
Packaging 2.5 the normal size CD case rules
Discreetness 1.0 not very good this category.
Clarity 2.0 better than the 40th Anniversary set.
So from a 10 now an { 8 } with no sentimental leanings, but I do own both Sacd's the EMI UK Quad and the Japanese release, the EMI UK being the best of all Machine Head formats.

HDave

500 Club - QQ All-Star
Wished they would release all versions on Blu-Ray Audio, UK, US quads, 5.1 and Made in Japan tracks. This album by Deep Purple is as important to Rock n Roll as Sgt. Peppers was (Whatever style you want to label them)
A sentimental favorite of mine also. I probably could list 10 LP'S in my life that are like this in some way, knowing where I was, what I was doing when I first heard them. (Smoke on the Water). Getting older reminiscing and knowing that some titles I'll always keep handy. My twin Granddaughters at 11 have a great appreciation for music from Elvis onward. Which is a good thing and respectful.

MoB1

This DVD-AUDIO ... 2001 mix is almost the same as the SACD 2011

There are 3 strange "mistakes" in this mix.
1. The Bass solo from Pictures of Home....
2. The Drum intro for Never Before. (Fixed on the SACD 2011)
3. The Bass comes in too late on Smoke on the Water.

Nice to add the B-side When a Blind Man Cries (also in Stereo) (y)
but why "delete" the second guitar from the intro (yes, like Roger Glover did in 1997... no complaints - just a stereo remix)

I'm still thankful for this mix.... it "forced" someone to release the Quad mix... in 2003. :cool:

MH DVD Audio Mix.jpg

The 3 mistakes...

Attachments

MoB1

This DVD-AUDIO ... 2001 mix is almost the same as the SACD 2011

There are 3 strange "mistakes" in this mix.
1. The Bass solo from Pictures of Home....
2. The Drum intro for Never Before. (Fixed on the SACD 2011)
3. The Bass comes in too late on Smoke on the Water.
2. The Drum intro for Never Before
This mistake is only on the Digital Dolby 5.1 low res version that you can play on a regular DVD-player.
Very strange. Also strange that I just found out yesterday, when I was just going to check out the videos... for the first time in years.
You need a DVD-Audio player to see the footage. Highway Star and Lazy (Edited to 4 minutes of each song...)

DP MH 2001 mix.jpg

Here is the Highway Star footage with sound from Made in Japan.

I have the dvd-a and I find it uninspiring. The rears are disappointing - it's pretty much a front-centric mix on my system. The fidelity is good and can be cranked but as a surround mix it comes off as boring. I find I'm not that far into the album when I'm reaching for something else to feed my surround appetite.
I find that if you crank up the rears a bit more it really comes to life.

Group builder