Depeche Mode reissues in SACD - 4/3/06

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few thoughts here as to the issue of these releases being either SACD hybrids plus DVD (Europe) or redbook cd plus DVD (US with a 24/96 DTS 5.1 layer). While I believe that DVD is the ultimate format for hi rez music releases, specifically DVD-A, SACD has beaten the format in terms of consistancy. SACD was initially plageud with lousy labelling, you never knew if it was SACD only, whether is was stereo only, ultimately they went to the hybrids which state 5.1 clearly. And these always work on every SACD player.

DVD-A has had so many issues with authoring, and so many titles that lock up players, won't play the Hi Rez layer, etc. It is astounding that this still can't seem to be sorted out. Add to that all the hoops you have to go through to set up a DVD-A player so that it will find the layer and play it, you have to spend awhile in setup, while my Sony SACD player was plug in and play, immediate 5.1. You can also switch through the layer selections, cd, 2ch, 5.1, with one button on the front of the player, as well as the remote, no going into complex setup menus.

The Depeche Mode US DVD works simply like most DVDs. It brings you to a main menu where you select the audio in the format of choice, and you have the choice of selecting the album or the videos. After you select the album in DTS 5.1 you go to the track selection menu which defaults to track one, click on it and off you go. All DVD-As should work like this, but they don't, there is no standardization. I will also add that I've heard some DVD-As that Neill authored, and if you have your DVD-A player set to the hi-rez 5.1, when you put in his disc it automatically starts playing the 5.1 DVD-A layer, you don't even need to press play. Then if you hit the top menu button, you can choose the other layers. I would think that for DVD-A car players that this would be a must, but the industry doesn't seem to be able to figure it out.

I love the DVD-A format, but some of the discs and/or players have so many issues. I haven't heard of hybrid SACDs locking up players or being unable to play the 5.1 layer. So if in the US we end up with the cd plus DVD format as a standard with DTS 5.1 24/96 as the best compromise, I can live with it. At least it always works, you don't need an expensive specialized player which might or might not even do what it is supposed to after you've spent the funds on it and the specialized discs. I'm already there, have the player, and will continue to collect DVD-A discs, and fortuantely I don't have much interest in the problem titles like Harvest, Flaming Lips, TH Brick and whatnot, so all my discs play fine. But if I put out $100.00+ for that damn brick and it didn't work, I'd be ticked off.

narcopolo said:
http://www.towerrecords.com/product.aspx?pfid=3395691

Looks like just a CD to me, not SACD. And why didn't she dress that way on the Leno show last week?

ordered yet another copy of this package - it is indeed a standard CD/DVD pack in North America.
What can I say - I suffer from OGD (Obsessive Goldfrapp Disorder)
I agree with the Leno appearance but she still looked HOT!!!
/\/\

DrMabuse2001 said:
ordered yet another copy of this package - it is indeed a standard CD/DVD pack in North America.
What can I say - I suffer from OGD (Obsessive Goldfrapp Disorder)

Oompf! :confused:
Can anyone understand the release strategies of these companies?
I am so glad that I have the SACD/DVD pack of the Goldfrapp - Supernature disc! The SACD has really a kick-ass 5.1 mix and you can very clearly hear the difference to the inferior DTS track that is also on the DVD in the European package.

What's surprising to me is that it seems for once you guys in the US are at the short end of the stick with all the SACD/DVD releases in Europe where you only get a CD/DVD package without hirez 5.1 audio.

You should really start looking to import the stuff from Europe and thus let the record companies know that you won't support these lackluster releases.

(Of course, there are other titles where US customers clearly get the nicer package; I just got my TH Brick yesterday, and although I usually prefer seperate CD/DVD-Audio discs over DualDiscs, this packaging alone is worth it! This has style! No comparison to the "single" CD/DVD-Audio set releases spread out over a few months here in Europe...)

Best regards,
Oliver

Just listened Music for the Masses. The mix generaly is ok. But main surround feeleng is created by stereo means and is preserved when turning off backs. Like in old stereo CD, which is good (panorama, clarity, etc.). Sound could be better, in sacd epecially... Dynamic range not great at all. But it is details. Most people will like this remasters.

Just took my first pass through both "Music For The Masses" and "Violator".
First impressions...WOW!!! Like rediscovering these albums for the first time.
If you are a DM fan, don't see how you could not have these. Really impressive packaging as well...
These are the MC-SACD's from Mute UK and they are most impressive - the mixes on both albums are really immersive.
I will post thoughts on both this weekend when I have had a chance to really listen and go through the DVD's as well.
/\/\

Got Violator and Music For The Masses (European) SACD/DVDs today. For those in North America, there doesn't seem to be any region coding on the DVD portion (plays fine on all 3 of my players, only one of which is region-free). Saves us from buying both versions (one for the SACD, and the other so we can have a region 1 DVD).

Oh...just in case your DVD player doesn't do PAL, the SACD layer (on both discs) is in 5.1 surround as well.

Last edited:
These SACD's are the 5.1 mixes of the year so far.

All 3 discs sound wonderful on my system.

Finally a remaster project done right.:)

I have had a chance to listen to all 3 discs now and I must say the 5.1 on the SACD is quite spectacular on all 3.
It has been a long time since I have listened to "Speak & Spell" and it sounds tremendously dated now but I found the MC mix did add a lot.
As for "Music For The Masses" and "Violator" - MC mixes are immersive, great tight bass lines and lots of surround action. DM music certainly lends itself to the MC experience a lot more than a more traditional acoustic based band does. One thing I kept thinking as I listened was how it made me feel like I was listening to these discs in a large club (and I mean that in a good way)!
As for the DVD's - just making my way through them but the inclusion of a documentary on the band at the time of the specific record is nothing short of brilliant. Would have been nice if the extra tracks were consistantly mixed in surround as well but it is a minor quibble.
Once again Mute Records shows the "majors" how it's done! Bless Daniel Miller!
/\/\

Wait, so there are three versions? SACD hybrid import; SACD hybrid + PAL DVD on import ("collector's edition", according to the website); redbook CD + NTSC DVD domestically in the US.

Right? So if I want the SACD, I can get either of the import versions, and if I want just the DVD, it'd probably be best to wait until June 6th? But if I want the SACD and the DVD and I have a multi-region player capable of playing PAL DVDs, then I should hunt down the import Collector's Editions?

My head hurts.

The "collectors edition" DVD plays fine on my player which is not region free - so it is a safe bet that it will work for you. If you want to wait for the US version, I will say that the DTS 5.1 mix of the album (96/24) on the DVD is very good.

If anyone's still interested, CD-Wow has reduced the price of the Depeche Mode re-issues to £8.75 (GBP) including postage. I'm now feeling somewhat ticked-off as I paid £10.99 for "Violator" from them at the end of last week. Such is life.

mattB2 said:
If anyone's still interested, CD-Wow has reduced the price of the Depeche Mode re-issues to £8.75 (GBP) including postage. I'm now feeling somewhat ticked-off as I paid £10.99 for "Violator" from them at the end of last week. Such is life.

Oh well, it looks like I'll have to pick up Speak & Spell then - with a discount link & voucher it works out at $13AUD

Cheers

Martin

IDJIT DRAGON said:
Oh well, it looks like I'll have to pick up Speak & Spell then - with a discount link & voucher it works out at $13AUD

Cheers

Martin

Please post the discount link

i ordered speak and spell on sunday for 17,95 US. the day after they reduced it to 13,95 US $
kind of annoying but i made the best of it and now ordered violator as well (12,99 on the euro page, with discount link 10,99, i had a 1 euro voucher left so 9,99 euro for the disc - not bad considering shops here want 20 euro at least, most of th emore, for the disc)..
numoerous discount links can be found here...
http://www.dvd.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=38731

Back